Binge watched tv shows

That one is on my list too, @MADad. I find I’m recognizing not only actors but even buildings in my British TV crime binge. Among my favorite recurring actors: Neil Morrissey (Line of Duty, Unforgotten); Nigel Lindsay (The Tunnel, Unforgotten, Safe); Mark Bottar (Unforgotten, Line of Duty); Adeel Akhtar (in almost everything I watch).

I’m watching Line of Duty (Amazon) now - excellent, about an anti-corruption police unit in an unspecified city (not London). You know it’s a good show when a 15-minute scene, played by 4 actors sitting at a conference table, is a nail biter. And there are so many of those. I didn’t become a fan until the second season, but I’m glad I persisted. Adrian Dunbar rules!

3 Likes

My DH and I just started watching “The Great” with Elle Fanning (Hulu), and we are hooked. Sacha Dhawan co-stars, who we also loved in Doctor Who. It’s a sort of modern, irreverent take on the life of Catherine the Great – it’s not supposed to be entirely historically accurate. Very fun.

2 Likes

By no stretch is it historically accurate, but that’s part of the charm.

1 Like

I enjoyed The Great very much. I think at most it was supposed to be historically suggestive, in that character names, positions, and locales were probably fairly accurate. After that, anything goes!

2 Likes

Just finished season 1 of Miss Scarlet & The Duke from Masterpiece Mystery. I recorded them all earlier this year and they have been a delightful treat over the last week. I was really pleased to read there will be a season 2.

3 Likes

If I remember exactly, my S who introduced us to FNL just told us to skip the Season with the idiotic story line, which I’m guessing was season 2. So just go to season 3.

Oh, and season 2 of FNL was weird because the season ended abruptly after 15 of the planned 22 episodes, due to the writers’ strike. So story lines were left hanging. They didn’t resolve them in season 3. That was disconcerting

Ted Lasso, thank you apple for my free year of Apple TV, with my replaced iPad. Ted Lasso, :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

8 Likes

For all the Ted Lasso fans out there, the whole cast got together to do an opening skit for the SAG awards tonight- I’m sure it’ll be on YouTube soon after. I’m recording the show so I can watch it and then skip ahead to see if they win. Ha.

3 Likes

@jersesouthmomchess This NJ mom also thanks Apple TV free year trial, broke my phone in Nov-Dec. Also highly recommend The Morning Show, both excellent. I think Ted Lasso is universally appealing and a perfectly timed happy show/cast! :laughing:

3 Likes

Another show I would recommend on Apple TV is Little America, an anthology series based on true stories of immigrants in the U.S. An interesting and heartwarming show.

Right now, I’m binging Endeavour on Amazon Prime. It’s seven seasons, and I just started season 6. So good! I just love Shaun Evans, who stars as the young Inspector Morse. All of the supporting cast is excellent as well.

2 Likes

mom2jl – ME TOO! i’m just starting season 6 today of ENDEAVOR. It’s a slow burn!! it reminds me of those old I SPY puzzles/books where every thing, every shot has a purpose, and there are clues all over but you don’t understand it till the end. I also LOVE the doctor. (and at the end of season 4 i thought Morse was leaving; but then he was a sergeant in season 5. I didn’t piece how that came about . . ?)

2 Likes

Anyone watching “Q: Into the Storm” on HBO Max? My DIL told me they are watching it and it’s amazing and interesting. I would like to see it but I don’t know if I can talk hubby into it.

Anyone watched Raising Dion? I just started it, so not too far into the series, but I never hear anyone talk about it. It feels a little like Stranger Things in the idea of something odd going on with a family, but more oriented toward the mom as opposed to the kid (even though he’s the one with powers), and it has some social issues, especially dealing with racism, layered on. Enjoying it so far.

Thanks for reminding me of this show, I’ve been wanting to watch it.

1 Like

My kids told me to watch The Circle (I know, this is old news, it was on about a year ago or more!) . I invested the dozen or so hours of it over the course of a couple of weeks. Apparently there is a new season coming out next week. After the first, I’ve decided I don’t need to watch the second season! A reality series that did not win my attention!

1 Like

Thanks to the folks who recommended Unforgotten (Amazon Prime; UK detective PBS series). My husband and I have watched the first two seasons, each with 6 episodes dedicated to an unsolved crime.

For the second season we were prepared to be confused at episode 1, with introduction of a large cast of characters and suspects. Normally we hopscotch around on varies series, but we have found that there are so many details to remember that it works best to not stretch it out too much. In fact, sometimes we watch 2 episodes on same night.

5 Likes

I know some people mentioned earlier in this thread that they watched Younger. I see it’s coming back soon with early episodes being released on the Paramount app. It will be the final season. Have to say they really got a good run out of that show/concept!

2 Likes

Has anyone watched Shameless on NetFlix ?

Trailer Park Boys which is also on NetFlix ?

1 Like

I love Shameless and have been watching it since the series first aired on Showtime. In fact, the current season (11) is the last, and I’m watching the final two episodes tonight. I’m a huge fan of William H. Macy and he shines in this series about an extremely dysfunctional family on the Southside of Chicago. The rest of the cast is excellent as well. Most of them were young children/teens when the series started and it’s been interesting to see how they’ve aged and how their characters have evolved.

3 Likes