Binge watched tv shows

I don’t think I ever knew that. I remember her from The Practice and, of course, Two and a Half Men.

Another strong two thumbs up for Come From Away (I’m also from San Diego and love when things from the Globe and the Playhouse make it to Broadway –– although I can think of quite a few that made it there that should NOT have, e.g., Diana the Musical, Hands on a Hardbody…), but Come From Away definitely is one of the best!

Quick suggestion for TV recommendations…It would be really helpful if we included the streaming platforms when talking about shows, e.g., Lasso (Apple), The Chair (Netflix).

And one very strong recommendation for anyone that likes musical theatre, esp. old timey ones: Schmigadoon (Apple TV+) is fabulous!!!

Oh, and we really enjoyed Netflix’s The Chair (but my husband is in academia, so much of it hit close to home). It’s by no means perfect, but it’s worth the watch.

We also just finished the first season of The Morning Show (Apple TV+) and thought it was very well written.

3 Likes

I finished The Chair yesterday and enjoyed it, especially Sandra Oh. My H was an academic and thought it was fairly realistic.

It is one of the only shows I’ve seen that I actually cried. Not at any particular scene, I just became overwhelmed.

3 Likes

Me too! Who thought a person could get so moved by a scene where they were discussing blankets and food!

1 Like

Very jealous of my daughter who is seeing Come From Away right now live at the Lincoln Memorial!

My family has warm feeling to Gander. In the late 1970’s we landed there after our flight back from Europe had a mechanical problem. Spent several hours there while an emergency maintenance crew came to meet the plane and fixed the problem.

2 Likes

Here’s what I do checking out new Tv series and movies, thanks to the JustWatch app tip here

1. Search JustWatch to see if on one of my streaming services (we have Netflix and Prime)
  2. If Yes, click on “watchlist” to add it on a sort of “wishlist”
  3. when wanting something new, I go watchlist. Pick TV or Movies category at top… then review my items and prioritize one for that night.
5 Likes

Good tip! Didn’t know the app did that!

3 Likes

What are your favorite shows with really smart characters? S22 liked Sherlock, Lupin, Criminal Minds, Doctor Who.

1 Like

West Wing

7 Likes

OMG West Wing is such a smart show. We are watching I think the last season now and there have been so many episode with real life parallels. Plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose. (The more things change, the more it’s all the same.)

2 Likes

We may need to re-watch West Wing. At one point we had many seasons on DVD,but I think we have given them away.

I HIGHLY recommend a rewatch accompanied by listening to the WW weekly podcast. Josh Malina is one of the hosts. Each episode goes thru an episode of the show. They get on everybody connected with the show from Aaron Sorkin to Rob Lowe to the character actress who played Marion Coatsworth-Hay in one of the few laugh out loud episodes. They also get people like the first gay Secretary of the Navy ( to talk about an episode involving Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell), A Jet Propulsion
Lab engineer ( to discuss the space shuttle episodes ) and Justin Trudeau! ( Canada centric episode). It’s one of the best podcast out there!

2 Likes

If you like the West Wing try Borgen (on Netflix).

3 Likes

Nope. I hated Borgen. At least the first several episode I watched. WW was about ( mostly) fundamentally good people trying to make the nation better and working tirelessly to do that while sometime finding it impossible but persevering. Borgen as far as I saw was about horrible mean spirited people who cared mostky about power and political maneuvering. And those that had bigger aims seemed desperately unhappy. So for me . No thank you. Am I wrong? Did it get “better” from this standpoint?

1 Like

I am rewatching The Wire, after the untimely death of Michael K. Williams.

4 Likes

Interesting…we didn’t see it that way.

I also started Borgen based on a comparison to WW. Once I got past my disappointment that it was way different for the reasons you mention, I just took it on its own merit and stuck with it until the last episode.

1 Like

I am willing to accept different but mean spirited /unhappy characters are a no go for me. Don’t want to watch that. It’s the reason I loathed The Chair.

I totally disliked Bill. Spoiled, unaware of his chance, thinking whatever he does applies to everyone. Privileged to the point of needing a slap.
Then I realized that was the point.
I’m divided as to the show. I like Sandra Oh, the unsettling little girl Ju Ju, Joan. (I want to see what Joan does with her new office/responsibilities and which of the 2 old guys leaves.)
I hope the students will be more “real”, these undergrads aren’t.
The whole thing feels a bit clunky.
The production needs to lay off the satire, make their characters a bit more pleasant. Not sure what tone would be best.