Binge watched tv shows

I don’t know that the goal is for us to feel empathy for her! Didn’t in the book! :slight_smile:

We’re watching The Chair on Netflix. Not great, but cute. Only six half hour episodes so it is quick to get through.

3 Likes

If there are any Call The Midwife fans out there, the newest season returns to PBS Sunday October 3.

7 Likes

you made my day - maybe even my week !

1 Like

I started Nine Perfect Strangers a few days ago. What’s with Nicole Kidman’s accent—sometimes she has a Russian/East European accent, then at other times she speaks without the accent. I read the book by Liane Moriarty—liked much more than the series.

3 Likes

Started watching Steve Martin, Martin Short and Selena Gomez in “Only Murders in the Building”. I love Steve Martin and this is a treat. Hulu.

4 Likes

Anyone else watched “Guilt” on PBS Masterpiece? It’s just 4 episodes. Description from the PBS website: “‘It’s not the crime, it’s the cover-up’ goes the old saying. But that didn’t stop brothers Max and Jake from hiding their guilt after running into an elderly pedestrian during an inebriated drive home from a wedding. Mark Bonnar (Unforgotten) and Jamie Sives (To the Ends of the Earth) star as Max and Jake in a darkly absorbing tale of rascality and deceit . . …”

3 Likes

We watched, started off a a dark comedy, but near the end of the second hour, it seemed like it turned darker and more serious. Will definitely finish it on Sunday.

Not sure if I’m rooting for them to get away with it, or pay for their crimes. Younger brother is very likeable, older brother is definitely NOT!

2 Likes

Hard to binge, because we’ll get one episode every Friday, but a new season of “Great British Baking Show” debuts on Netflix Sept. 24!

4 Likes

I really enjoyed The Chair. I’m a Sandra Oh fan, but what kept me watching was her daughter Ju Ju and the older lady professor. They are hysterical!

5 Likes

The filmed version of Come From Away on Apple TV is fantastic. Even if you saw the show before like I did it’s more than worth a watch. A wonderful uplifting musical.

5 Likes

The lovely and extremely talented Holland Taylor. For anyone who did not have the opportunity to see her one-woman show Ann on Broadway (and even if you did), you should check out the version that was filmed for PBS’s Great Performances.

3 Likes

The Chair was too much of a downer for me. There was an unhappiness and meanness coursing through the comedy that I just can’t stomach. I just don’t like watching people so unhappy especially when the story itself doesn’t deal with tragedy.

We really need an list or excel file from this thread for recommendations and split into which streaming service it’s on!!!

I’ve finally started Lasso and am loving it - curious to see where it all goes.

Still working on Nine Perfect Strangers - I’m in since I read the book and largely also want to see how the televised series wraps up compared to the book.

Thinking about starting The Chair this weekend - sounds like a short series! And I work in alongside academia so why not.

I’m also curious about Come From Away that @maya54 mentioned!

4 Likes

Come from Away is amazing. It started right up the street from where we live at The La Jolla Playhouse.

3 Likes

Just a reminder that the JustWatch app or website is very handy for finding which streaming service something is on. Also sometimes shows or movies move from one service to another.

4 Likes

Right - but will they keep track of what I want on my to-do watchlist and update all the good info here on this thread?!!! :wink:

6 Likes

I enjoyed it quite a bit. I work in higher ed so it was so…familiar and relatable.

1 Like

I guess I’m showing my age when I say that the first association that comes to mind when I think of Holland Taylor is Bosom Buddies…

Anyway, yes…she is wonderful and I loved her character in The Chair.

2 Likes

Just started Never Have I Ever last night (on a friend’s recommendation). I’m two episodes in and I could take it or leave it, but will continue on as I’m told the characters and storylines get more engrossing further in.