Binge watched tv shows

I avoid any articles or interviews about shows I like until I’ve finished watching them through the current season. I hate spoilers. I was so surprised to hear Matthew Rhys interviewed after I’d finished. I remember there was one expression at some point in the seasons where I thought “we did not say that in the 80s.” Can’t remember what it was now.

i saw a glimpse of corelle dishes in their cupboard recently! the white bowls with the blue flowers like my mother in law has.

i’m in season 5 now. But i do wonder why Paige never asks if she’s an American citizen. That would be my first question!

1 Like

Maybe because she was born here and thus for sure a citizen.

4 Likes

“The Americans” - finished our binge last night. What a fantastic 6 seasons!
We want more!

6 Likes

i’m in season 6 now.
i feel so oblivious to the history i learned in the 80s. I had NO IDEA 27 million russians died in WW2. Where have i been? was that because my history classes in the 80s only focused on us? and the USSR was still “the bad guys” so we didnt learn much about them? anyway - while not finished yet, its brought about some historical conversations here in our house.

1 Like

That’s the added benefit of The Americans and the history that we didn’t get in school. I have two kids adopted from Eastern Europe so that added to my love of the show no doubt.

4 Likes

Anyone here watch the Brokenwood Mysteries, a detective, crime drama from New Zealand. We watch it on Roku. It reminds me a bit of the British’s Midsomer Murders but as good or even better.

It probably is the best detective drama coming out of New Zealand.

Gina, the Russian medical examiner, has the best lines. She is a hoot.

4 Likes

THOUGHTS ON UNDERGROUND RAILROAD? Should we stick with it if on the fence?

BACKGROUND:

This week we finally got around to watching first episode of “Underground Railroad” (Amazon Prime miniseries, 10 episodes). I had read “Nickel Boys” novel by Coulson Whitehead with a book club, and my intention was to either read “Underground Railroad” or watch series with my husband.

After first episode, we lean toward opt out (or maybe defer) further watching. Certainly slavery is a tough topic, and we agree good to see this painful part of our history even thought tough. We did watch “Roots” (original and remake). But… we just can’t get into the idea of making the metaphorical Underground Railroad into an actual train/tracks thing. (AlsoI wonder if the series will be confusing the younger watchers who might not have had as much history classes on the topic. There was a time when our schools were pushing intense Reading/Math focus, and the 4th grade teacher promised parents “don’t worry - I’ll find ways to sneak in Social Studies”).

This website gives a breakdown of both military and civilian casualties of WWII. Total worldwide was about 60MM.

My kids are from China and China was second in number of deaths with 20MM. I believe famine contributed to their high number.

And I just had to watch the series finale again after all this talk of The Americans. Still excellent the fourth or so time!

2 Likes

Just a point of information, Masha Gessen writes for The New Yorker, not the NY Times.

I watched the first episode of “1883” on Amazon Prime (don’t have Paramount + and won’t buy it for this). Unfortunately the ghost of HBO’s “Deadwood” hovers over representations of this period in American history and “1883” fell short. Sam Neill and LaMonica Garrett were good but the McGraws cannot act. I find the Taylor Sheridan production juggernaut an interesting cultural phenomenon, though, and I am a Yellowstone fan (although Season 4 had huge plot holes–what happened to Angela Blue Thunder? Catholic priests don’t marry strangers so what was that about? Rip has no legal identity so how can he get married? etc. Beth is starting to get annoying. Her rejection of Carter calling her “Mom” was bad–she has made him her responsibility. Etc.Etc.) I will probably watch “6666” and hope it has an awesome Western Swing soundtrack.

4 Likes

Totally agree on the McGraws–stick to music!

1 Like

Just started season 6 - my wife insisted. She needs it to chill out after coming back from a hectic work day in the ED. Naomi is still annoying, Amos, Averasala and Bobbi awesome, Holden meh. Rummer growing on me. Episode 1 seems to be more or less setting the table for what is to come. We are all strapped in and ready for the ride of what is likely the final season!

I know you’re talking about The Expanse but perhaps others don’t. I’m caught up to current episodes so have only the finale to go. No spoilers but they definitely will need at least another season or a made for tv movie to pull things together. I’m on hold for the last book. I’ll miss these characters when I’m done!

Edit to add Drummer is also awesome!

Stupid me, forgot to say the Expanse! This is the final season, for sure. Doing a show on any of the books past the 6th wold be difficult, for reasons I won’t mention due to spoilers.

1 Like

finished the americans series last night. thanks all for encouragement to stick with it. Will listen to the podcast by slate here this morning. lots of things to think about; one word i would use for this show is - Stan.

After household talks about WW2 here from this series, DH has asked me to watch one of his favorite series - Band of Brothers. so i guess that’s next.

3 Likes

We finished the last season of Lost in Space last night. It was entertaining. This was one of our first shows we binged back in the spring of 2020 right after the start of the pandemic.

2 Likes

We started watching Mayor of Kingstown (screenplay by Sheridan Taylor, who also wrote and directed Yellowstone.) After three episodes, I have mixed views. Good acting, but the story is dark and IMO depressing. Has anyone watched Kingstown? Your view?

1 Like

Have been binge watching two shows: Midnight Mass with the hubs and Ragnarok with my daughter. They’re both really good, and I’m especially excited to binge season two of ragnarok next.