Binge watched tv shows

If you want an intense binge watch, look for Vigil on Peacock. I don’t like submarines but it managed to win me over… and I found myself staying up when I thought I’d just give it a try for 15mn.

(Ok, it’s by the team that brought us Bodyguard so I should have been warned.)

The pitch: a technician has died in suspicious circumstances aboard a nuclear submarine patrolling off the coast of Scotland (as part of the controversial Trident program that the SNP, currently in power in Holyrood, wants to get rid of, while Wesminster wants to keep it.) A DCI is sent for 3 days to investigate. She designates her most trusted captain to follow the leads on land, in particular at an anti-Trident “peace camp”. So: Scotland, geopolitics, investigations, thriller, confined spaces, murder, and even a (sweet and PG) romantic story appearing in flashbacks.

Try The Indian Doctor - sweet, well written, enjoyable show.

5 Likes

Vigil was excellent - we were slow to warm with it and then it pulled us in and so glad to find this show and see so many familiar faces from many of our British favorites. A couple episodes really ended too soon and glad we could go right to the next one - would have been hard to have to wait a week :slight_smile:

1 Like

same :joy:

We are in Northern Ca near SF and everyone here calls it I-5. Have never heard it referred to as the 5.

3 Likes

Me too! I also loved Rome!!!

Wow! That is really interesting. When I’ve been in the San Diego/LA area (several times), I always hear freeways referred to using “the”.

I know we digress from the topic, but here’s one explanation why they call highways “the” in Southern California - it’s regional, not state wide.

And to stay on topic, I’ve been rewatching Bridgerton just to refresh my visual memory while I continue to read far too many Regency romances.

3 Likes

After living through the last 2 years, season 2 of The Indian Doctor will seem all too familiar.

2 Likes

Interesting. But in Chicago we call plenty of expressways by a “ the” name: The Stevenson, The Kennedy, The Ike. But we still call most numbered highways by the number…no “ the” “Take 94 to the merge….”

“Counterpart” is starting to fill the melancholy hole left by the end of our beloved “The Americans” binge watch. Rainy Sunday today. Might be a long time until we forget about “The Americans”, but Counterpart is interesting and thus far leaves a trail of more questions than answers, so it is slowly setting the hook in us.

3 Likes

We loved “Counterpart” (Amazon Prime). Yes, it often had us confused… but it really captured our interest. We were sorry to see it end. Maybe we will have to try “The Americans”.

2 Likes

Yes, noted those names yesterday: lived there 35 years.

My point was that in Chicago we dont call ALL the roads by name. We ALSO discuss them using the interstate numbers. We actually only use names for expressways and then for the interstates use numbers. So you’ll hear traffic reports say things like “ Traffic is slow on the Dan Ryan and into 290.” But despite using “ the” for those with proper names we do not use a “ the” before the numbers. Thus the article about California’s reasons for using “ the’ with numbered roads ( because people were used to using a “ the” woth named roads) doesn’t translate to Chicago.

I love all the various names of local roads, makes me feel like I could be a local. Let’s turn our attention back to tv so that we can stay on topic.

3 Likes

After watching The Silent Sea (dystopian), we wanted to binge something lighter. Cobra Kai fit the bill perfectly for us. We found it very entertaining.

2 Likes

We really liked Counterpart! JK Simmons does a really good job. A few episodes in, I was unsure what it was/where it was going, but just in the nick of time (ep 4 or 5?) you get some good info! And the last season you get some even better info. I am sorry it ended.

Bridgerton - I like a lot of it and the costumes/sets. But it didn’t make sense that they were the traditionally/historically “prude” at one moment - oh no, single and alone in the garden with a man! Now we must get married. But the next moment a man is telling a single woman about how to satisfy herself.

2 Likes

Just finished watching Stay Close on Netflix - British murder mystery, family drama - was a good watch with some great plot twists.

1 Like

I usually need something reality based or competition based when I run on my treadmill and have the TV on- like The Final Table, a cooking competition. They had a cheering show called Cheer which was pretty good and now they have the sequel.

1 Like

We finished “Stay Close” last night and thought it was good. We liked the characters and the plot twists. Still not sure I understand all of the subtle details, but those multi-crime shows are often like that for me.

1 Like