Binge watched tv shows

I did not like McDonald and Dodds during the first few episodes. By the second season, I have enjoyed it. I like McDonald’s new boss (female) more than the male in the first season.

I love the wide shots of the town, too. Beautiful architectural buildings it has.

Agree 1000% on all fronts:

–in S2 McDonald finally respects and appreciates what Dodds can contribute
–The police chief in S1 seemed like he was a posing as a badass with his mode of dress and his attitude. The new chief in S2 is professional is both dress and in her affect.
–I keep looking up the shooting locales in Bath and cannot wait to visit them at some point in the future!

1 Like

I did a month free trial of Hulu to watch Only Murders In the Building because I keep hearing about it. And am a Steve Martin fan from way way back. Not exactly what I thought it was going to be but I’m enjoying it. I’m also watching Barry on HBO Max because my son had mentioned watching it. Still forming an opinion.

1 Like

I agree the DSU (? chief) is a caricature. Glad to hear he disappears S2.
I like how both have skills though: meticulous may appear plodding, efficient may appear flippant, both have their strengths and flaws but are good. At this point, ofc, neither respects the other: Dodds sees her as a philistine&a bully, McDonald sees him as a luddite, eccentric old geezer.
(For the opposite: read the Loveday/Rider series! Set in 1960s Cambridge, old quasi retired medical examiner and just-out-of-HS/first female constable.)
I’m now watching Ep 2 and I like it less than Ep1; I like Joanna Scanlan and I am mindful of the “big-name guest actor is the likely culprit” (not a spoiler: no idea whether it applies here!) but this seems pretty obvious. However it’s not as clearly a case of “viewers know before the police who did it” so I’ll hold judgement till the end and will report back.

WHY am I watching season 5 of “The Handmaid’s Tale?” I should just stop but I can’t.

1 Like

I haven’t started yet, waiting for the season to be mostly done so I can binge-watch. I no longer like waiting a week between episodes. Haven’t started Lord of the Rings yet for that reason. But give me a hint on Handmaid’s Tale. Why should you stop? Is it frustrating? Bad? Too difficult to watch?

It continues to be dark and depressing. Yes, hard to watch.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up. Guess I will need to find the time when I am in the right frame of mind and binge watch it to get through it quickly. Don’t want to watch anything too dark and depressing these day, but don’t think I can give up cuz I want to know how it ends!

Reporting back on McDonalds&Dodd: well, I was way off - always pleasant in a whodunit when it’s not obvious. S2E01 deals with a hot air balloon accident!!! Enjoying it (even if the annoying chief or DSU guy is around, he’s only appeared literally 1mn so far). Thanks for recommending it, a pleasant binge.

We finished the last season of Bosch… (Amazon Prime). Hubby and I both really liked it. We’ll likely hold on watching Bosch Legacy because only Season 1 is free at the moment.

just saw this list. made me smile; but hadn’t heard of a few of them.

we guessed #1. and my new favorite friday night lights is on this list! (but no downton abbey)

1 Like

I think season 1 of Bosch legacy is true only one that exists currently. They have committed to season 2 though.

1 Like

They better have, given how the season ended!

1 Like

Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but IMO the Ken Burns PBS documentary on the Holocaust is excellent. I actually found it riveting, but I like anything, fiction or nonfiction related to the era, so your mileage may vary.

4 Likes

someone else just mentioned that to me too. i get tense/emotiona/sad thinking about it all; but maybe i should learn something new.

1 Like

The Carol Burnett show should have been much higher than 89th. I feel like edgier shows got undeserved bonus points.

And I’m saying this even though I’m currently binging on the Jeffrey Daumer show on Netflix.

2 Likes

I thought Mash and West Wing should have been much higher.

2 Likes

Some of the ones that ranked high had a, IMO, high violence content. I love crime/cop shows, but tried the Wire a few times and just couldn’t watch - and I used to live in Baltimore!

I thought The Bob Newhart Show should have been much higher.

2 Likes

Derry Girls season 3 is now on Prime. Great cameo in the first episode. I won’t spoil it here but I did LOL when he showed up. :joy:

4 Likes

Super cameo in the final episode as well.

2 Likes