Binge watched tv shows

We just binge watched the entire “Man in the High Castle” new season, was blown away by it. I suspect it is going in the end to be a lot more satisfying than the book. My wife got a subscription to the Acorn service (via Amazon) and we watched the Agatha Raisin series, which was wonderful (alas, there was only 8 episodes, and its future is up in the air).

What a great thread! Here are my favorite binges:

The OA (binged it twice!) I should start a thread on this show alone, lol!
Stranger Things
Breaking Bad
The Crown
Downton Abby
Sherlock
The Killing
Broadchurch
Marcella
The Fall
Making A Murderer
An Idiot Abroad
Friday Night Lights
The Walking Dead
House of Cards
Orange Is The New Black
The Honorable Woman

Thanks for the Marcella tip, @photomom99. Love Euro noir. And if you aren’t aware, try Dicte, it’s Danish.

Recently finished the new season of “The Man in the High Castle” - season 2 was quite a bit better than season 1. I’m now watching “Bloodlines” because, you know, Kyle Chandler.

Not sure if someone mentioned Reign. I just finished it today. It is about Queen Mary of Scots. I couldn’t stop.

Watching Marcella now…

@musicprnt

Just finished binge watching both seasons of “Man in High Castle” myself.

Interesting premise and interesting to watch, but some irritating issues over pacing(Too slow) and adequately explaining certain plot lines/character motivations and some irritating issues.

One is how the show implies the Kempeitai are separate from the Imperial Japanese Army(IJA) when in actuality, they are the military/secret police branch within the IJA.

Another is how “Chief Inspector” Kido keeps getting addressed as Tai’i(Army Captain) in Japanese by his subordinates and yet, is the top Kempeitai officer for the Japanese Pacific States.

This makes absolutely no sense.

Considering the size of the Japanese Pacific states, the head of all Kempeitai units for that area wouldn’t be assigned to a Captain if one goes by how Kempeitai units actually operated in similar sized occupied territories in actual history. It’s an assignment which would be assigned to an officer who’s at least a Shōshō (Major General).

Especially considering he deals directly with senior officials on a regular basis such as the Trade Minister or senior Nazi officials/officers.

I also doubt the rump US government would have capitulated as quickly/easily as implied in the story if the war had gone on till late 1945 considering the vast resources and the time(at least 3 years) to mobilize troops, resources, industry, etc even if the US failed to develop atomic weapons.

@fireflyscout We loved Bloodline. By the time you reach the end, you’ll be saying “because, you know, Ben Mendelsohn.” Enjoy!

I started watching Offspring, despite few here having seen it. It’s an Australian drama, with some comedic elements, and a superb cast. I’m enjoying it very much and am in the middle of Season 2 now.

I started Bloodline because Kyle Chandler, but got irritated/upset and quit. Maybe I should persist. I also started Marcella–I really like Anna Friel–but got irritated and quit that too.

Maybe I just wasn’t in the mood. Currently watching two shows recommended to me by my mother: Monarch of the Glen, and the Turkish series Lovebird. The latter is very interesting.

The Man in the High Castle is so… disturbing! Watching season 2 although in a bit of confusion; I’ve forgotten so much from season 1, and the recap wasn’t helpful enough.

We are watching Goliath because we are afraid that Man in the High Castle Season 2 will just make us think of disturbing things in current events.

Glad to hear someone else else gets irritated.

I’m looking for something new… I couldn’t get into the good wife or the affair and I don’t like really dark/murderous shows. Loved Mozart in the Jungle, Scandal, Sons of Anarchy. Seems like lots of folks like the Crown, so maybe I’ll try that one next! Someone told me about some Irish mob show on Netflix, I forget the name of it…

BBC America is marathoning Star Trek Voyager this weekend, and I’m enjoying it more than I thought I would. Like all of Trek World, it suffers from unevenness, with some episodes being little gems while others are laughably bad. But I am finding it much more likable than I did when it first aired 20 years ago. And in 2017, I appreciate even more what was always the best thing about Voyager: the totally bad*ss Captain Janeway.

I was reading an article about what’s new in the tv shows that will be returning soon. I think there were 25 and I found I don’t watch most of the shows, but #23 or so was The Americans, and when they gave the review, I realized I’d better watch it again to refresh my memory. Sadly, season 4 isn’t free yet on Prime.

I tried watching Bloodline season 2 but couldn’t remember enough of season 1, so I have to go back and rewatch. I really did like it, but just can’t remember all the characters and who the bad guys are.

I always rewatch the last episode of the previous season before binging on a new season. I’ve never been good at remembering all the details.

For those who haven’t watched yet, I highly recommend Sherlock on PBS. Season 4 just started, but I suggest going back and starting on Season 1.

I’ve been really enjoying watching The Crown on Netflix. It’s really well done and an interesting historical storyline – focusing on Queen Elizabeth’s early years (at least so far as I’ve watched).

@Fishnlines29 ,

The Irish mob show you’re thinking of is Peaky Blinders. It was okay, not great. I give it a B-.

Peaky Blinders is actually set in England and I liked it better than patsmom. :slight_smile: