Binghamton Engineering

How strong is the Engineering program at Binghamton? I was recently accepted and I am considering going there instead of somewhere like RPI because of the huge price difference. Is it worth to pay almost $40,000 more to attend a more prestigious college?

Bing has a number of ABET accredited programs. http://main.abet.org/aps/AccreditedProgramsDetails.aspx?OrganizationID=58&ProgramIDs= Those would be fine. Companies don’t pay RPI engineers more than those from any other school. However, if your family can afford the cost difference easily and you are a better fit for RPI then it would be worth it to consider. If that’s $40K/year then hands down Bing IMO.

@“Erin’s Dad” What does it mean for a program to be ABET accredited?

I also got into Binghamton engineering, and Rutgers and Delaware engineering schools. I live in NJ. I got a merit scholarship to Delaware, so Binghamton and Delaware cost about the same. Any suggestions which of the three have the best engineering school? I liked Binghamton better the Rutgers, but Delaware also has a great campus.

Easily answerable with any search engine :wink:

Delaware has an excellent Chem E program (aligned with DuPont). Not sure about other programs there.

$40k more per year, right?

RPI is a very good univ, but I wouldn’t call it “prestigious.” Most people have never heard of it (much less can spell it…lol).

RPI would not be worth $40k more per year unless your parents are wealthy and won’t miss the money.

What are your parents saying about paying $40k more per year? Can they easily afford that?

How much will they spend each year? Have you asked them?

I don’t think RPI is more "prestigious than Binghamton or Delaware - certainly not worth that much extra money for most people. Agree about Delaware being very strong for ChemE, for anything else I’d go with the school/atmosphere you prefer between Binghamton and Delaware.

It’s possible to drive from Florida to Washington State without going through a state with a school with higher student standardized scores than Rensselaer. Along the same lines, RPI has higher scores than any public university in California. Irrespective of prestige, this should at a minimum make it a college of note for anyone with an interest in higher education.

RPI is also almost 70% guys, so if you care about that sort of thing it’s probably not the best option for you.