Blair vs non-Blair admissions criteria

My DS is planning to apply Vandy RD. He wants to sing, and will be auditioning with Blair. While he fits many of the standards at Vandy: 34 ACT, ECs, Summer jobs, 11 APs, etc. his GPA is only 3.5w, 3.2uw.

Is Blair more forgiving, since the audition will really tell a lot about his ability in what the majority of his experience at Vandy will be?

I just don’t know if strong musicians are given similar leeway as, for instance, athletes.

Thanks for any insights!

You can also ask this on the music major forum. I have been on that forum for some time and would answer yes, generally academics are less important than the audition for BM degrees. Others can tell you their personal experiences with Blair if you go on that forum.

3 Likes

I think a lot depends on type of school and rank, etc. some privates - a 3.2 may be good.

Unfortunately a 34 isn’t great for Vandy (25th percentile) and it appears CDS uses unweighted and 2.4% are between 3.25 and 3.49 and 1.8% under 3.25 and likely athletes in that mix.

I’m not a music parent and you have to chase your dream but I’d have very low expectation, regardless of talent level.

But I wish the student good luck. One never knows. It ls a high reach but one needs to try.

@tsbna For students auditioning for a BM in music, the audition is far far far more important than their GPA. They have to be in the ballpark, but they don’t have to be top GPA or SAT scores.

I would suggest that this poster post their query in the music major area where folks who actually know about degrees in music performance can tell what’s what. There are many folks who are very knowledgable about music performance in that area, and I’m betting even some who have students at Blair…or did. Listen to those parents as they ARE music parents. (I’m one too…but my kid didn’t go to Blair).

Here:

I understand and noted this but also provided Vandy stats. Statistically speaking the student has little chance but I noted I’m not a music parent and provided a statistical outlook only. And encouraged the student pursue their goal.

For some reason, some think applying to a likely rejection is not good, a logic I don’t understand.

If they get rejected, at least they tried.

Statistically 1.8% of admits are in this gpa range. Perhaps OP will be one of those 1.8%.

This does not take the audition into consideration.

I wish this student the best of luck. Hopefully his private music teacher is giving him some guidance on places where he will be a potential successful music performance applicant. This is important infor to have.

I will say, my kid’s school counselor told him he would NEVER get accepted where he eventually got his degree. She knew nothing about music auditions, and only about general admissions. My kid got accepted AND received the highest $$ amount of music performance aid based on his audition. This is something that happens all the time at most conservatory programs, and conservatory within university programs (Blair is one). These programs are looking for the strongest musicians to add to their studios and ensembles.

I again suggest the music forum. For most BM degrees, the audition is way more important and there is more leeway about GPA. However, there are exceptions. Music forum parents include Blair parents and would be more helpful than the Vanderbilt site.

2 Likes

Agree. Scroll up…I put a link to the music major forum. Sorry @Compmom…this was meant for everyone!

Here it is again…

2 Likes