Boarding school COVID discussion 2022

I have talked to nurse, Dr Lily, and dean of residential life. If you tell me this is not true, I don’t know what the truth is. Carol specifically told me negative close contacts were being sent home as far as NJ.

1 Like

I was replying to someone else who made a sweeping comment about PEA sending home negative close contacts. The latest official message from Rawson did not mention any official policy (or anything that I recall) about how close contacts are handled if they test negative. If you were told that was happening I don’t doubt it’s true. I sure hope they are not heading in the direction of making that an official policy, especially for students who live outside of driving distance–if so, they might as well shut down the whole school. Hospitals that have started testing all admitted patients are reporting that 1/3-1/2 of people there for other reasons are incidentally testing positive.

My guess is that school will try to stay open and in person. Given the current guidelines a kid will be out for 5 days and then is allowed back with mask on for additional 5 days, there will always be some kids who are out and some just come back. If things work out as planned, a kid is out just 5 days out of a term. Still not too bad. And hope current surge is over in a month or so. I do worry about sports events though.

And hope the teachers stay safe.

2 Likes

They should be treated differently because health outcomes are vastly different between the two groups. Check this article from the NYT. All doom and gloom and scary until you scroll down to the single chart showing the difference in hospitalization rates for the vaccinated vs the unvaccinated. The difference is extremely stark.

8 Likes

In the email sent from the headmaster yesterday, it clears says if the child tests positive, he or she needs to be picked up. Families within driving distance go home, others can stay in the hotels PEA has made arrangements with.

Totally agree.

MA recently announced that they’re going to start breaking down the hospitalization data in this manner i.e. “admitted for covid+” and “admitted for something else and found to be covid+” as separate groups.

What I mean is, vaccinated people are also contagious. The vaccine doesn’t prevent them from passing the virus around. So why only quarantine the unvaccinated close contacts?

I was not talking about positives, but close contacts.

The vaccinated are less contagious:

2 Likes

There is no official announcement regarding to close contacts.

Really? As a matter of fact, i think everyone is confused now including Fauci and CDC.lol.

That’s why I got it from the “official “ sources that included Dr Lilly and dean of res life. They had to explain a lot to me in my case. I consider it official.

That’s strange, I still don’t have my Thursday result back yet.

And the 45 minute PCR machine was only used on me once when I was sick (symptomatic, had a fever a day or 2 prior…the whole lot) at the beginning of the year.

That is strange. They just updated numbers on the dashboard…with a handful more positive cases.

Same with Kiddo1. She was given the 45 min PCR twice right before break, along with flu tests.

Ah! There is a note on the dashboard. Apparently test results from Jan 6th, still aren’t back, even though those from the 7th are.

Ah, it’s so nice being in Covid limbo -_-

I get that it’s not the school’s fault, but it’s so annoying being under constant paranoia that you might be contributing to the problem without knowing. If I was a freshman/sophomore, I’d probably just stay remote for 2/3 days, but I have too much going on—missing even 1 day will just destroy me.

Also, Covid-positive people literally get snatched out of classes in the middle of the day or their phones blow up during lunch and they quickly slide out. It’s surreal.

I am not a fan of the collective guilt that Covid seems to be inducing in people. You aren’t contributing to any problem! Young healthy vaccinated people should be going on with their lives. Especially since you’re likely wearing a mask everywhere too!

6 Likes

sounds quite dystopian

2 Likes

Which school is this?