Bringing an OOS car to UA...what's the definitive (legal) process?

<p>The recent talk about parking passes got me searching for info on what is required to bring a car in from OOS. My student will be living off-campus, does not plan to use rec center, can walk/bike to/from campus if he needs to, and so feels he will not need a parking permit. BUT…What do most people w/ OOS cars do, when their kids take the cars to UA?<br>

1. What about changing over to AL license and AL car registration/title? The website says the OOS people listed on the title need to turn up in person in order to re-register the car. Really? How do y’all handle that logistic right there if you live far away?<br>
  2. Does a student HAVE to get an AL license in order to register a vehicle in AL? I don’t think so, based on the DMV site, but weigh in if there are advantages to getting a AL license and relinquishing the OOS license in the process.
  3. Does a car ‘residing’ in AL for 8 months of a year really require a change in the plates? The DMV site says that a car needs to be registered and proof of insurance must be in place before registering…but that liability insurance can’t be from another state. WHAT? Surely plenty of families don’t re-register these OOS vehicles, because they would then have to get insurance ‘locally’, in AL. If you have done this, please walk me through the process.</p>

<p>I want my S to be legal…but I don’t want to do things we don’t have to in terms of hassle and in terms of added $$$. I’m guessing that OOS cars w/ OOS plates get looked up more frequently by UA parking police? Just because they’re different. ANY advice on any of what I’m asking is helpful. I’ve searched old posts, but can’t seem to find the right threads that answer all of this. Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>I can’t imagine Alabama is any different than any other state when it comes to students from OOS. You just keep your plate since you are not considered a resident when you are attending college. I never changed anything when I was at school OOS, and I see tons of OOS plates at my daughter’s college-so no change of plates should be needed. Now if changing plates would give everyone instate tuition… that would be something to consider:) Unfortunately I think they’re a little more sophisticated than that!!</p>

<p>You’ve done a lot more research on the legalities of the situation than I have, but I can offer my personal experience.</p>

<p>I never registered my car in AL. The DMV says that “When you move to Alabama, you must register your vehicle within 30 days.” However, as a college student who is temporarily in the state only to attend school, I am not a resident of the state of Alabama. My permanent and legal address is in another state. As a college student, I do not have to register in AL as long as my car is registered in my home state. </p>

<p>My driver’s license and insurance are also from another state. I have never had any problems with this arrangement, either from the UAPD or any other Alabama police officers.</p>

<p>I’m not sure if there is a reason you want the car to be registered in Alabama (establishing residency, etc). Unless there is a particular reason, if you want to save time and money, I would just leave the registration as it is.</p>

<p>As far as your assumption that UA parking police will look up cars with OOS plates more often, I have not found this to be true. I have been parking my car on the UA campus for two years, and have never gotten a ticket</p>

<p>Students remain residents of their home states unless they choose to become Alabama residents. There is no need to get an Alabama drivers license, license plates or file taxes as a resident/part time resident if one is a student who does not intend to live in Alabama after graduation. Alabama form 40NR is the income tax form for nonresidents. Due to a US Supreme Court decision, college students have the right to vote in their college town instead of their place of legal residence if they so choose. </p>

<p>Alabama license plates generally denote the issuing county, so police officers can easily see if a car is registered in the local area. They do not target any specific type of license plate.</p>

<p>IMHO - The only reason our family is looking into thi is because our auto insurance rates and state inspections are quite costly. AL does not have annual inspections. </p>

<p>We pay over $3000 a year for auto and that is with clean driving records for over a decade and the “discounts” for wrapped with HO. </p>

<p>Before changing over to an Alabama registration you may want to check insurance prices. We changed one at age 21 and were fine. When we looked at changing the others the costs were prohibitive because of the insurance premium for a driver under the age of 21. We bundled a renters policy with her auto coverage for a discount also. </p>

<p>To change over a student needs the tittle in their name or at least signed over to transfer into their name along with a bill of sale, proof of insurance, mileage off the car, the car itself must be present, and a valid driver’s license. They will question an OOS licensee about changing it. The car must be insured and registered to the same person, but a student can handle this alone as long as the title and bill of sale are in order. To change the DL you’ll need proof of residency (lease, utility bill, voter registration) social security care, birth certificate, and a valid license. Google Alabama Star ID. Also arrive early or pack your patience. The DL office is on Skyland Boulevard. There voter registration and tag offices are a block over from Jack Warner (8th Street maybe). They are very nice.</p>

<p>Tracy Sova is a State Farm agent on University Boulevard and is friendly and knowledgeable</p>

<p>In most states were emissions testing or inspection are required it is simple to receive a waiver for a student studying OOS as long as the car is OOS. We filled out a simple form for our state.</p>

<p>Hope this helps.</p>

<p>We found the same as bamagirls – our state requires the emission testing, but if the automobile is residing in a state or area within a state that does not require the testing then a waiver can be obtained as long as the car remains in the nontesting area. I know there is probably money to be saved in selling the car to our DD then retitling in AL, but we just haven’t dealt with that.</p>

<p>You technically do not have to do anything. Your child is a full time student that just happens to be attending a school that is OOS. My D had her TX registered car to AL this past year. Her TX inspection was due in January but she did not bring the car back till May. In the state of Texas it can come back and she has 3 days AFTER arriving home to get it inspected. Meanwhile, while it is in AL it is understood that the driver is a full time student and it is okay. We did not have to fill out a waiver or any other documentation. If she was stopped on her way home in TX for a “expired inspection” she had her UA student ID as well as a car full of stuff showing she clearly was headed home from being OOS for school. For her TX registration, we simply mailed her the new registration sticker and she affixed that herself.<br>
So, here is the one main thing, most likely your child will be residing in a dorm. They do not have a permanent residence in AL. They have no perm residence to have important documents sent regarding the car like registration, insurance, etc. Now, say next year your child rents a place or you buy a place… then you could change it if you so desired. Even so, because they are a full time student, they are still not required to change anything at all on their car or their DL to Alabama. It can all stay in their home state. </p>

<p>In the meantime, you can contact your insurance agent and just let them know that the car will be in AL August-April. You do not have to change your insurance to an agent in AL either. </p>