Brown Class of 2025 RD

Little does Harvard know it ranks #8 on my list lol

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

admitted!! I know this is a bit late but here are my stats:

from title 1 ohio public school

gpa: 4.39 w/ 4.0 uw

8 APs (two 3s, a 4, and a 5 on the ones already taken) (only reported 4 and 5)

9 dual enrollment classes

all other classes were honors

34 ACT (one sitting)

band (oboe and sax)/ choir/ drama/ tutoring english and java at a community college/ ymca youth and gov/ congressional campaign internship/ nonprofit internship/ visual art, poetry, and theatre awards

LoRs: french teacher, AP gov teacher, internship supervisor

common app essay: 7/10
open curriculum essay: 8.5/10
brown contribution essay: 8/10
community essay: 10/10
activity essay: 10/10

I submitted a portfolio for visual art (painting), but I didnā€™t do the video portfolio thing.

accepted: ohio state, ohio u, kenyon, denison, u of richmond (full ride on merit), northwestern, brown
waitlisted: emory
rejected: northeastern, columbia, yale, princeton

Iā€™m super excited about brown and northwestern, but Iā€™m very worried about finances, so richmond is looking like my likeliest option.

5 Likes

I absolutely agree with your reflection on the importance of essays!! I got in RD as well and I think my essays must have been what made me stand out.

I have a sister at Richmond and Iā€™m between Brown and Georgetown (too in love with Brown to not go). Regardless of where you are youā€™ll be with a member of my family :smile:

1 Like

Does Brown give any ā€˜meritā€™ aid, or is all need-based?

With > 300k/annual parental income, i suppose no chance of need-based aid?

Not sure if you listened to the Brown welcome new students zoom the other day, it was so impressive! And Logan Powell said to please go to them with ANY financial issues if they have offered you a place, they will work with you to make it work. Definitely worth a call/email to discuss your situation ā€“ good luck with your decision.

2 Likes

Brown does not offer merit or athletic scholarships. You can always reach out to them, but my understanding is if you checked the ā€œnot applying for financial aidā€ box, there is no way to retroactively apply unless there is a major change in financial situation.

Doesnā€™t Brown meet full financial need? Have you received your financial aid information yet from the college?

I think you can apply later, but it might be limited to those who qualified for need-blind admission (since Admissions takes into account need when admitting international students). Youā€™d want to reach out to the Financial Aid Office with specific questions, infoā€™s at financialaid.brown.edu

Hey all if any of you were waitlisted join the new waitlist thread so we can discuss!

1 Like

Has anyone with older BrownU kids experience canceling their AP exams (we are able to get a refund this year. Almost $500!)? I asked my son to ask the AO it cancelling will affect his admission offer. We have not heard back. The AP credits donā€™t translate to anything useful at Brown and I think he would prefer to be instructed by the professors to get a Brown point of view. I would prefer to save $500 :). Thanks!

1 Like

Iā€™m interested to hear this answer as we have already canceled ours. :joy: I wouldnā€™t think they would care since the course is still completed and graded and they donā€™t offer credit. Hope Iā€™m correct!

@sqzhyg i canā€™t remember now if it asked what exam he will take. I think the common app had that. He sent a note thru some portal (?) but hadnā€™t heard back so he will email directly his regional AO whom heā€™s been in contact with. Sheā€™s usually wonderful with her response. I will let you know!

1 Like

Please do! Thanks!

My daughterā€™s year she decided not to take any of her APs and had no problem with that. Brown will only use AP scores for allowing someone to skip an intro class, not for actual credit. They still have their final grades for completing the class on their transcripts and that is what matters.

1 Like

OK. I was waitlisted and denied at my Ivies. While admitted to 2 of 4 selective sweet spot schools, and admitted to all safeties. I have Ivy qualifications however I am not a typical Ivy or STEM kid. My friend group is 5 boys of similar standing. One of them is a Perfect SAT, G&T at JHU, and every box you check for Ivy. He was a national spelling be champ in 6th grade. Exactly Zero Ivy admissions between us. Either denial or waitlist at Ivies. I know 2 Merit Scholars waitlisted at Harvard (we joke that they just couldnā€™t say no. because none of us thinks the waitlist at Harvard will move this year.). This is a COVID and cultural admission reset year. I feel sorry for my friends that only ever dreamed of Ivy and they literally gave up their childhoods and summers for that sh**. Even the great schools that accepted him just are not good enough for him and his mom. They call my parents crying about Ivy and criticizing schools that are not worthy of their son (a couple I too was admitted to). We are all high achieving upper middle class kids. One of us needs $$ most donā€™t. Your son didnā€™t underachieve, he is a great student and probably a great kid caught up in the tide of history. The Ivies wonā€™t miss him but he will make an impact wherever he goes. Good luck and congratulations on all the great options and the wait lists.

1 Like

OK. I was waitlisted and denied at my Ivies. While admitted to 2 of 4 selective sweet spot schools, and admitted to all safeties. I have Ivy qualifications however I am not a typical Ivy or STEM kid. My friend group is 5 boys of similar standing. One of them is a Perfect SAT, G&T at JHU, and every box you check for Ivy. He was a national spelling be champ in 6th grade. Exactly Zero Ivy admissions between us. Either denial or waitlist at Ivies. I know 2 Merit Scholars waitlisted at Harvard (we joke that they just couldnā€™t say no. because none of us thinks the waitlist at Harvard will move this year.). This is a COVID and cultural admission reset year. I feel sorry for my friends that only ever dreamed of Ivy and they literally gave up their childhoods and summers for that sh**. Even the great schools that accepted him just are not good enough for him and his mom. They call my parents crying about Ivy and criticizing schools that are not worthy of their son (a couple I too was admitted to). We are all high achieving upper middle class kids. One of us needs $$ most donā€™t. Your son didnā€™t underachieve, he is a great student and probably a great kid caught up in the tide of history. The Ivies wonā€™t miss him but he will make an impact wherever he goes. Good luck and congratulations on all the great options and the wait lists.

Thatā€™s the issue with setting oneā€™s life aside for the hopes of admissions at an Ivy League school. Admissions have become so unsustainably competitive that the VAST majority of qualified applicants donā€™t get in.

For folks who were following this. The general AO account shared that ad long as the course rigor hadnā€™t changed from the application, the students can choose to forego the AP exam as long as course rigor and academic standing stays consistent

1 Like