BS Class of 2022 Thread

Does everyone know local parents who can help get stranded kids? Does that ever happen?

I was pleasantly surprised to wake up to a plowed driveway this morning. Classes don’t start for us until Thursday but kid has to move into a dorm for preseason.

Our school requires everyone to have an emergency contact within 2 hour driving distance from the school.

Our pack of 8 (plus one JBS kid) took off on time this morning. Second leg delayed but not too bad. School shuttles were cancelled so we pooled together for a car service.

@one1ofeach Most of the local parents we know happen to be faculty or staff…

At our school, local parents (often day parents) took on all kinds of stuff like this. As a little aside, it’s one of the reasons that I suggest that kids not reject schools with day populations. Managed right, these otherwise “disenfranchised through the BS process” parents can be a huge resource to students who hail from more distant parts.

As a local parent, we happily help where we can, as do many others. It takes a village! :slight_smile:

Our boy boards at Tabor but we live in Boston. We’ve somewhat regularly conducted “Rescue Missions” for kids stranded at the airport, For example, when mom and dad booked their child on a flight that came in a day before the Tabor bus, or that scheduled them to arrive two hours after the bus.

They usually send out a flare via team group chats, our kid let us know the situation and we go from there.

Like with so many boarding schools, Cate’s local and day student parents are incredible. They are very generous and helpful in lots of ways. They are part of the fabric of Cate, but in a background, unobtrusive way.

They played an essential role when the school was evacuated because of the fire two years ago.

Hadn’t really thought about it as a “perk” compared to 100% boarding communities, though - because the 100% bs still have some local parents. But having more local parents, especially some who are there dropping off kids every day, would make a difference.

Left my teens at Port Authority in NYC for charter bus ride back to school. Food bill will decrease now that they are gone. I really enjoyed their company.

Anyone else here feel like sophomore girls have the increased confidence to dive into more activities while sophomore boys’ increased confidence seems to translate into more testing of limits?

Yes.

Hmmmmm. Maybe? Not a lot of exposure to sophomore girls right now, but our boy experience is: pushing away hard from parental authority, but also trying lots of new things. So both?

Clearly @CaliMex has not met Chimneykid2 whose advisor sent us a glowing weekly report that somehow failed to mention the huge new tattoo that we spied on her arm as she was heading to Monday meeting! Busted by Flicker. I think the girls test limits too at this age - they may just be a bit more savvy than the boys!

When we hear about disciplinary cases in our local high schools — as well as boarding schools (our daughter’s and others) – it feels like sophomore boys are overrepresented?

@CaliMex your observation certainly holds true at our schools too.

Don’t boys generally develop impulse control later than girls? That and some good old fashioned gender bias probably explains a lot of the difference in who gets disciplined and how severely.

The rules boys tend to choose to break are probably different than the ones girls tend to. Just a guess - if boys per the stereotype are more physical and girls more social, they will display their mischievous tendencies in different ways. And physical mischief is more likely to get caught.

My son is more in the pulling away, not wanting to be part of the family, stage. It is hard. He has informed me he wants to board next year. My heart is a little broken, to be honest. I don’t know how you guys do it. Even though for me it may be more of a mental thing since he’s there all the time. I think i object to having to ask permission to take my child somewhere (if he were to board).

@one1ofeach It is hard… but it is also the most natural thing in the world for kids to need and want more independence. We wouldn’t be doing a good job as parents if they didn’t :wink:

1 Like

@one1ofeach , my heart breaks for you. I still cry every time after we say goodbye and he’s almost a college graduate!

I think part of it, as they get older, is realizing that as they become more independent (the goal, of course), their lives really start happening in an orbit that may not cross yours that often. You get less of their time when they’re home, less of their vacation time when they have it, etc. And the real killer is that they are actually terrific company!

You realize that their jobs will make a big claim on their time. And that a spouse will change things too. Just saying, I think that the sense that it’s really just one step in a long journey away from your home is well founded, and that even though the alternative, a failure to launch, would be awful, it still aches.

Courage!

1 Like

@one1ofeach My son switched from day to boarding at his request. PM me if you want to talk about it.

1 Like

Beautifully stated @gardenstategal