BSMD/BSDO Applicants Undergrad and Medical School experiences

@TechGuy70 How was DD’s interview at Temple ?

@TechGuy70 - we were at Temple interview day last week as well. We thought it was very well orchestrated. We were pleasantly surprised by the program. Just wondering why program isn’t bigger (more students matriculate). What was your impression.

@OldSchoolMD @TechGuy70 Yes, Temple wants you to give your acceptance decision to them before May 1, 2019.

@PPofEngrDr Catching up. Just noticed, I did not answer your last question.

It is best, complete all the activities by June 1st of the application cycle year. When you submit to AMCAS, let it be complete (though you can always update during the long cycle). Reasons:
The first semester of the app-cycle, keep the courses and activities minimum so that attending interviews (there by missing classes and catching up to maintain the grades) is easier. In the final semester further reduce the course load and activities so that chill out and enjoy the last semester before the marathon gruel of medical education and career starts!

(sharing the observations from my D)

@GoldenRock - if planning to matriculate to medical school right after college graduation, when are the medical application/AMCAS due? Before the start of senior year, fall of senior year, etc.?

@OldSchoolMD Before the start of senior year. For example, 2019-20 application cycle for MD admission during fall of 2020, starts on June 1, 2019 for AMCAS schools. So complete all activities before the June 1 of the application cycle.

@OldSchoolMD @grtd2010

I am not sure why such a small program at temple. I wonder the same. On the plus side, Very Good Medical School and undergrad scholarship is very generous. All the program directors at the interview were great. Acceptance deadline is April 19th 2019.

Are there any Caldwell/NJMS students/past students here?

@OldSchoolMD @TechGuy70 It seems that Temple LKSOM has other linkage programs besides Temple/Temple. Officially there is no limit to the number that can matriculate to LKSOM. Those who got acceptances may have other choices and reasons, not to join Temple/Temple BSMD. I expect a 25%-50% acceptance rate out of 13 offers this year. This seem to fit the 4-6 Temple PPHS per year.
All pre-med courses have large classes and may weed out some Temple PPHS.

@OldSchoolMD @TechGuy70 This is not a generalization but a probable reason is a sub-par MCAT section score. Without at least 126 in all sections, one will not be able to matriculate to LKSOM.
For example, Total MCAT- 515 with the following distribution,
Chemical and Physical Foundations of Biological Systems - 130
Critical Analysis and Reasoning Skills (MCAT CARS) - 125
Biological and Biochemical Foundations of Living Systems - 130
Psychological, Social and Biological Foundations of Behavior - 130
is NOT good enough for Temple BSMD but a very good score for many other medical schools with high GPA.

@grtd2010 @OldSchoolMD

Who teaches the classes at Temple? Teach assistants or professors? How large are the classes?

Any small classes at all in the university for any courses?

I got the following on Temple undergrad and does not look great:

Class sizes

Classes with fewer than 20 students —> 37.5%
Classes with 20-49 —> 53.8%
Classes with 50 or more —> 8.7%
Student-faculty ratio → 14:1
4-year graduation rate —> 45%
Graduate rate → 69.2 %

4 year graduation rate/graduation rate sounds really bad.

@grtd2010 @OldSchoolMD The honors version of a pre-med class is smaller than regular version of the same pre-med class. Both honors and regular pre-med classes have common lectures (taught by Professors) and a small group recitation sessions (taught by a CA or TA).Temple PPHS should take honors version of Biology, General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics. The Biochemistry class is an upper-level course, hence a smaller size class. CAs (class assistants), are usually undergraduates who have taken the class in the past. TAs are mostly graduate students. A honors class (pre-med subject) may have 50 or more students where as the regular version of the same may have more than 200 students.

@TechGuy70 The grading at University level is different than at high school level. The A’s are not given generously and one has to work for an ‘A’. It may be easier to get an ‘A’ in a regular pre-med class since there are more number of 'A’s available.

@TechGuy70 @grtd2010 - I would guess from a grading standpoint, it would be easier to get A’s on the larger classes that comprise both premed and nonpremed students. BS-MD students in general would do better than majority of the general student body in s state school. I would think most if not all classes would have some kind of curve. BS-MD students tend to be near the top portion of that curve. On the other hand, from a learning and interaction standpoint, smaller classes are better for obvious reasons. In addition, I would think as one advances in their major, classes will shrink. Thus @TechGuy70 , I wouldn’t put much into the class size chart you posted. Plus, honors classes would be smaller.

@grtd2010 @OldSchoolMD

I have a feeling that something with the school making it difficult for the kids to get either GPA or MCAT. I have to investigate further and talk to kids that dropped out of the program to understand where the issue lies. I do not think Honors classes are any smaller than 50. Some universities, their classes are at or under 20.

If we choose to go to temple, I will be speaking to these kids who dropped out of the program.I will let you know after I speak to these kids to understand if there are any issues with the program.

@TechGuy70 - yes, please definitely share your findings. At this time, we’re very pleased with the opportunity offered by Temple PPHS.

@TechGuy70 IMHO, MCAT score depends on individual preparation and practice, practice, practice. All colleges can do is give knowledge necessary to prepare for MCAT. Colleges do not prepare for MCAT. To an extent, GPA also depends on individual choices of courses and instructors teaching those courses.

@TechGuy70 Anecdotal news is contrary to what you are speculating here. A few recent MCAT takers have all scored above 515 ( > 92 percentile). A few honors sections are as small as 20 in some subjects.

:slight_smile:

@diaash GL with RPI/AMC if you decide to go there.