CA student at an alternative high school

Demographics

• American
  • From Northern CA
  • Alternative Public School → independent study model (no APs or honors classes)
  • White, middle to high income
  • no hooks (except talent at creative writing, but no major awards or publications)
    -Legacy at Yale

Intended Major: English or Poli Sci

Weighted GPA: 4.04 (I took a couple of honors classes in my sophomore year, but at my current school as a junior there are no advanced classes offered. I am taking a dual-enrollment class and plan to take several next year but our district doesn’t weight those.)
Unweighted HS GPA: 3.93
Class Rank: School doesn’t rank (there’s only like 30 people in my grad class lol)
ACT/SAT Scores: haven’t taken yet but based on PSAT expected 1400 or so

No APs, couple of honors classes, very advanced in Spanish, relatively advanced in math, lots of dual-enrollment expected. I am doing a program next year where I will do a legal internship for hs credit.

Awards:
No individual really → my mock trial team won county championship 2022, 2023, and expected 2024 and won state championship 2022

Extracurriculars:

• Mock trial all four years, captain as a senior
  • 20 hrs a week job
  • internship senior year
  • various political volunteering/organizing

Essays/LORs/Other

• I expect essays to be very good → I am a good writer
  • LORs will be average to good → my teachers know me very well since they have so few students

Cost Constraints / Budget

• I’m looking to pay no more than 40k per year all-in
  • don’t qualify for need-based aid
  • hoping for merit from private schools based on gpa

Schools
Safety - UC Riverside, SF State, Oregon State
Match - UCSC, SDSU
Reach - UCLA, Cal, Barnard, Yale

What I want in a school: I love a small, liberal-arts feel, but without the price tag. I would love some suggestions that match me!!

At the Ivy’s, everyone accepted would meet “merit” criteria, so that’s not a thing. Consequently Barnard and Yale would be outside your parameters, at about twice cost target.

There are plenty of other highly ranked schools that will extend merit offers to attract top students.

1 Like

You can’t apply to any schools that don’t have merit - so that’s your Barnard, Yale - and your other Ivies, Georgetowns, Franklin & Marshall and more.

Are you taking a test - not for the Cal schoosl but other?

If you want to spend $40K, you have to apply to schools that will get you there.

A school like U of Arizona would be solid or potentially a Miami of Ohio or Truman State. A U of Denver about $50K, etc.

What do you want in a school - size, weather, etc.

Nothing wrong with UCs and Cal State schools. You can also look at WUE - why Oregon State?

Yale costs more than $40k per year and does not have merit scholarships (only need-based financial aid).

SFSU would be a safety if you meet baseline CSU admission standards and your major is not impacted (English and political science are not impacted there). Sonoma State University markets itself as more LAC-like (part of COPLAC), and would also be a safety (it is also one of the more residential CSUs). Some of the other COPLAC schools like University of Minnesota - Morris or Truman State University may also be within your price limit even at out-of-state prices.

For UCs, here is some information on admission rates by recalculated GPA bands:

Recalculate your HS GPA with GPA Calculator for the University of California – RogerHub . Use the weighted capped version for the table below.

Fall 2022 admission rates by campus and HS GPA range from Freshman fall admissions summary | University of California :

Campus 4.00+ 3.70-3.99 3.30-3.69 3.00-3.29
Berkeley 17% 3% 1% 0%
Davis 58% 20% 5% 2%
Irvine 35% 10% 3% 0%
Los Angeles 13% 2% 1% 0%
Merced 97% 97% 95% 85%
Riverside 95% 83% 42% 17%
San Diego 37% 8% 1% 0%
Santa Barbara 41% 8% 3% 0%
Santa Cruz 69% 45% 16% 4%

These are for the whole campus. Different divisions or majors may have different levels selectivity (usually, engineering and computer science majors are more selective).

Note that the weighted-capped GPA is also used for CSU, but a semester college course counts as two courses and grades for CSU, versus one course and grade for UC.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.