Calculator model most used for Engineering Majors?

<p>My son will likely be a freshman UA Fall 2013 with a major in Electrical Engineering. By then he will have completed all 3 Calcs and DiffEQ via dual enrollment. At his current university the TI-84 is by far the most common calculator used and the one the profs refer to when giving instruction for all 4 of the above math courses. He uses it now - mostly as a check.</p>

<p>I think the math classes at UA probably use the TI89 or HP50. I’d like to to know which is the most common for UA math/engineering classes so he can transition to it over the summer and in Calc 3 this fall. </p>

<p>I have researched the pros and cons of both, but what I’ve found talking with engineering/math majors at GT and UGA is that it is best to use the model “all the other engineering students use and professors refer to” for that particular department/university.</p>

<p>My kids used a TI-84.</p>

<p>However, they did have a couple of math profs that required non-graphing calcs for exams, so they had to keep both in their backpacks.</p>

<p>Also…my kids each had two graphing calcs…one for backpack (with cushioned protective case!!!) and one for their dorm desk.</p>

<p>If TI84 is the norm, awesome! He too has a non-graphing one for those type classes (like chemistry) as well. Paranoid soul that I am, I make him take two to tests in case one dies in the middle.</p>

<p>Yes about calcs dying during tests!!</p>

<p>Also…many aren’t aware that the TI graphing calcs not only take the normal double A batteries, but they have a spot for the small flat disc battery which I believe is for short-term back up if the AA batteries die during an exam.</p>

<p>True but my kids (I’m sure other people’s children don’t do this) just ignore the low battery warning until the high dollar backup battery is also shot. Our household owns 6 graphing calcs between the 5 of us that use them. (We run a pretty frugal household but at the completion of Algebra 1 the rite of passage is each kid gets a TI-84SE in their chosen color.) </p>

<p>We use rechargeable AAA’s. The kids (including the 20 year old) are on their own for replacing the backup batteries, hence they are never replaced.</p>

<p>BTW thanks for all the merit scholarship info you provide about UA. It would never have occurred to me to look out of state for my likely NMF '13 son. Our visit with the personalized Honors interviews was amazing!</p>

<p>I don’t know what most kids at UA use since I’m not there yet, but I can’t speak highly enough of the TI-89. I use my TI-84 as well, and I’m sure anyone could get by with just that, but I really love my 89.</p>

<p>the tricky part about calculators is knowing which classes will allow what. Calc III at local CC will not allow the Ti-89, Ti- voyager, and Ti-Nspire. ONly the Ti-83 and Ti-84. My son has both the 84 and 89, and will have both at school in case he runs into any of those classes.</p>

<p>Anyone know which calculator is typically used in the business school? Do they use something like the HP12C? My D has a TI84 that she’s been using for the last 5 or 6 years, but I’m wondering if, as a business major, she’ll need something different.</p>

<p>IneedaMascot - Can you tell us specifically why you love your TI89? My S has a TI84 silver plus and says he thinks he should stay with what he knows. At the same time, if the 89 has features that will be useful for engineering as he goes along, it seems like a good gift suggestion as I have a few people asking for me gift ideas.</p>

<p>I can tell you some of why the 89 is preferred- it has computer algebra systems built in so doing certian calculus tasks in particular is much easier. Put in numbers and hit a button vs having to punch in the whole equation.</p>

<p>The business school recommends the TI BA II Plus and was talking about not allowing other calculators unless the instructor approved their use, but it seems that it never implemented that rule.</p>

<p>As for math courses, many professors design tests in such a way that one doesn’t need a calculator. As my professor said this semester before a test, “you can use any calculator you want, but I have no clue what you’d use it for” (the class was proof-based.)</p>

<p>My engineering friends recommend the TI-89 and I use my TI-84 Plus SE for math and business classes. That said, a financial calculator makes finance tests a lot easier.</p>

<p>Thanks, vlines. My S says he will stick with his TI84, he knows how to do everything with it and doesn’t see the advantage to having both. </p>

<p>We will however replace his little battery and pack a spare, too.</p>

<p>Edit - now there’s another reply in favor of a TI-89. I think my S may regret this decision - but there’s always Amazon Prime to the rescue.</p>

<p>I think that Sea_Tide is saying what I originally said- diffierent calculators for different things. My son has taken Lin. Alg, Stats, Diff. Equations, and Calc III at the community college this year. He has needed both calculators this year, for different classes. </p>

<p>I am not a math person, but I do know that some of the sylabi will tell you that you need a certian calculator, or can’t use another one. </p>

<p>My suggestion would be to stick with what he has until bama bound, then see what classes he signs up for and check the prof’s info to find out if they recommend the 89 (or something else even). The longer you can hold off buying another calulator, he better chance of it not getting lost. At least that is how it works in my house!! </p>

<p>And maybe he will not need it after all- you might get lucky!</p>

<p>I am big on the more arrows in the quiver the better. There’s probably a learning curve to the TI89 and my son has a fair amount of free time this summer. He can play around with it before multi-variable calc starts in the fall. </p>

<p>I bought a used TI89 off ebay this morning. Got it for $65 including shipping.</p>

<p>BTW, my experience with ebay TI84 calculators has been excellent - I only buy from established sellers. (I have purchased at least 25 used TI graphing calculators on ebay over the years and have never had an issue. I tutor high school math so I like to buy 2-3 each summer, sell them at cost to my students throughout the year, and picking up more the following summer.) The best prices are late May/June when lots of students are selling them and demand to buy is low.</p>

<p>When finding a protective case for the calculator, see if there’s space for spare batteries.</p>

<p>BTW…avoid getting a dark color for the calc case. My kids had bright red covers…easier to spot once they fall somewhere into the backpack.</p>

<p>Just ordered a Texas Instruments Nspire CX CAS graphing calculator from Amazon for my D who is a mech eng major studying in Italy this semester. She requested this one to replace her old calculator and we’re sending it over with a friend in time for her finals in June. Not sure what TI model she had previously. The Nspire runs around $150.</p>