California Lawmakers Propose Cutting Scholarships To Avoid UC Tuition Hike

<p>"A group of California lawmakers has proposed gutting a much-touted middle-class scholarship program for students at California’s two public university systems, the latest salvo in tense negotiations over funding.</p>

<p>Democrats in the state Senate on Tuesday proposed shutting down the scholarship program and using the money to avoid controversial tuition hikes approved for the prestigious University of California, increasing funding for that system as well as the California State University." …</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/03/california-cut-scholarships_n_6258570.html”>http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/03/california-cut-scholarships_n_6258570.html</a></p>

<p>I got a $200 middle class ‘scholarship’ to the CSU this year. The funny/sad truth is, they couldn’t get the program together in time to fund the Fall 14 discount - so I had to pay the full amount or my son couldn’t register. I didn’t apply for and don’t need the discount. It is silly someone else in the system has to pay more just because they make $15k more than I do. </p>

<p>I am a big fan of financially supporting ‘needy’ students from CA families. I just think we need to re-define need.</p>

<p>No system can sustain itself by asking less than half (45%) to pay any tuition at all. Post 'middle class scholarship, just 1/3 of students in the UC system paid the posted tuition rate (it was neat to see the broad student body rallying in support of the ‘rich’ handful when recent tuition increases were approved) The truth is, a significant part of every increase is set aside simply to fund the increased ‘need’ based financial aid. I refuse to believe 55% of the UC student body can’t afford to cover at least part of their tuition. </p>

<p>Here’s a crazy idea - cut UC tuition in half, eliminate financial aid altogether. As insane as that sounds, total revenue would go up and you would save a significant sum by not having to administer the financial aid.</p>

<p>A net annual bill of $6500 for tuition at some of the finest universities in the world is a small price to pay. </p>