CALS at Virginia Tech

I’m deciding between VT and Cornell for agriculture. How strong is CALS at Virginia tech? Is it pretty well respected and well known? I’m just wondering how the opportunities will differ, for internships and jobs.
Obviously Cornell has a strong Ag department, but the cost is a hindrance. (VT is in state tuition for me) I don’t want my family to struggle and stress over loans.
Any thoughts or advice is appreciated!

I know people that call VT “cow college” and they are not poking fun at the school. These are folks that work in the dairy/livestock business. Not sure if that helps, but do keep in mind that one of the VT missions is agriculture, and they run the state extension office.

Don’t struggle and stress over loans. Go with VT. Your choice is between a public land grant university established originally for agriculture and engineering versus a private university. VT is well respected and known. Certainly when you read science articles or news articles related to agricultural sciences quite often they quote VT researchers.

You will have to look at the job placement results for VT and compare with Cornell. I don’t know whether the graduates pursue similar opportunities, e.g., mega farms versus labs. It’s kind of late to be asking these questions though so move quickly. Good luck.

^^ “Cow Tech” would be a much better joke…