Campus life?

I’m a senior and I’m applying to UA, but I’m from Miami and im hispanic(although i dont look like it much), how is that part of the south? Ive heard from people that the university itself is progressive and pretty cool, but alabama is known for… well, you know, racism and crazy conservatives. Anyone been there or go there that can tell me about it?

I’d recommend reading through these recent threads:

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1812963-minorities-at-ua-please-give-input.html

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1808064-will-you-fit-in-at-the-university-of-alabama.html

rvidal17: My son attends UA and I’ve been there many times. As jrcsmom said, please review those threads ^^ for some very good information. UA is a great place, with a wide, wide variety of people and views. Something for everyone! Good luck with your decision.

<<< I’m a senior and I’m applying to UA, but I’m from Miami and im hispanic(although i dont look like it much), >>>>

Alabama has many students from Florida…some are likely Hispanic…I’ve never heard of any being bothered at school or around town.

My son’s BF is Cuban and he graduated from UA (and his younger bro is there now). I think that if they had experienced any trouble, I would have heard about it.

“Ive heard from people that the university itself is progressive and pretty cool, but alabama is known for… well, you know, racism and crazy conservatives.”

Really? That is what Alabama is known for? Please. Your post is as racist as the supposed racists Alabama is “known for.” Here’s an idea: reserve judgement until you find out the facts yourself. Go visit the campus in Tuscaloosa. It’s an easy drive from Miami to Tuscaloosa (I recommend heading on I-75 towards Tifton GA and then veering west on 82, so you avoid the panhandle, Atlanta, Birmingham, and the slow stop and go through Dothan.) I make the trip from Florida multiple times a year now that my son is in Tuscaloosa.

As far as the university being “progressive and pretty cool”, who knows. What does that mean to you anyway? To me, when I read “progressive”, I think shallow, conformist thinking wrapped in the self-delusion of non-conformity. Only pretty cool progressives decide to go shake hands with Castro as he continues to arrest his own citizens for protesting their government. Pretty cool progressivism does not impress me whatsoever, but I guess you’d have to blame my crazy conservative mind for that :slight_smile:

Tuscaloosa is not Miami, that’s for sure, but that could be a good thing. Just depends on what you are looking for, and your top concern should be that you will graduate an enlightened person, emancipated by your education, and able to deal with the truths of this world and use your talents to make the world better for having you in it. Best of luck.

A hispanic classmate of my older son’s goes to UA . . . mom is/was a teacher and I don’t think they’d send this kid just anywhere.

We live in Palm Beach County.

Okay so campus life sounds pretty good, what about tuition? Ive heard they give out alot of aid, but what if your scores arent the greatest?

Okay, fyi I have been to other southern states outside of Florida and have seen/been in pretty bad situations. I stayed in Texas once for three months. So yes I should reserve judgement (whole point of this post, I was going off of my prior knowledge/experiences plus what others have told me about theirs), but it is a fact that in some parts of the south it is like that. period. Heck, even here in miami where its 90% hispanics, I have seen some s***. And by pretty cool and progressive, I mean a campus that is pretty cool and progressive. There are many places with many issues that I am against, so being a part of a community that isnt involved in that would be nice.

Most financial aid goes to students with outstanding scores and ACT scores.

Most aid (other than federal aid) for out-of-state students is merit based. You can see if you qualify here: http://scholarships.ua.edu/types/out-of-state.html

What are your stats?

Bama is known for giving a lot of SCHOLARSHIP money to instate and OOS students with strong stats.

Publics don’t have much incentive to give aid to just any ol’ student who wants to attend. Publics charge high OOS rates because the parents don’t pay taxes here.

Scholarships are different. They’re awarded for stats.

What are your stats?

1640 sat and 24 ACT but im taking the ACT again, 3.4 unweighted and 4.2 weighted

Texas is VERY large. What area of Texas? If a big city, exactly what area of that city?
No way one can judge UA or Alabama by being in Texas for a short 3 months. One can not even judge all of Texas based on even visiting one city.

Have you looked at schools in Florida? If FL is more comfortable for you, maybe that should be your best option.

@rvidal17 - have you considered FAU? Yes, it’s Boca, but we surprisingly love the campus (my son is in high school but dual enrolls there). It’s about 5-10 minutes from the beach. You’d be driving distance from Miami but not so close that you feel like you didn’t go away to college.