Campus/Student Vibe

<p>Hello everyone! I heard from someone that Hampshire has a "druggy" and "hippie...in a bad way" atmosphere. Can anyone speak to that? While I'm sure there are those that don't fit those qualities, do they predominate more than anything else? Thank you so much for your help!</p>

<p>You will note a number of Hampshire threads that discuss these sorts of issues. Certainly Hampshire has/had a reputation as a haven for ‘hippies’ and ‘druggies’. However, I think that you will find the reality to be much more nuanced. The College’s academic philosophy tends to attract more than its share of free spirits, individualists and iconoclasts, which in turn creates an overall permissive and freewheeling atmosphere. </p>

<p>Speaking for myself, I don’t see this as ‘a bad way’. Walking across campus, one will probably see a higher-than-average proportion of students that have an appearance that might classify them as, ‘hippie’. However, as a parent of two recent graduates, I have found that most such students are quite earnest and interesting, in marked contrast to the classic hippie characteristics that might be characterized more as ‘slacker’.</p>

<p>LIkewise, while there is undoubtedly a significant level of participation by many students in the use of mind-altering ‘substances’ (including alcohol), I wonder if that proportion is particularly higher than for other small liberal arts colleges. Again, for me, ‘in a bad way’ means excessive to the point of debilitation and inability to be academically successful. I have found the overwhelming number of Hampshire students that I have met to be hard-working and devoted to their studies, despite any substance use in their spare time.</p>

<p>One of my kids probably used more drugs than I would have preferred, but that student had a successful academic career at Hampshire and worked hard in all their studies. Our other kid was more straight-laced and barely partook of any substances, and also had a very successful academic career. </p>

<p>We visited Hampshire in the summer and therefore only saw the students who were involved in the admissions presentation and tour. Maybe that’s a straighter selection of students than the norm, but the tour guides were not nearly as hippie as most of the prospects. I also saw a fair number of nerd-type kids in attendance (that’s not a criticism, it describes my son as well).</p>

<p>My older child goes to a large and wealthy university. I would bet money that per capita, there is every bit as much alcohol and drugs consumed there each weekend as at Hampshire, if not more. Personally I would hope my child does not base his decision on that type of conventional wisdom, if he were aware of it (I’m sure he isn’t). Do I think that the academic program at Hampshire would suit him? Yes.</p>