Can baseball and engineering go together?

<p>My son has been accepted at VT. He is a very good baseball player at least for high school, but not at an athletic scholarship level (at least not D1 anyway ;).</p>

<p>He is considering being a "walk on" at the VT baseball team, but I have read that it is very difficult (perhaps impossible) to handle an engineering workload and play a sport. I noticed that many of the current players are enrolled in "apparel, housing and resource management" not in any engineering discipline.</p>

<p>I believe that baseball is not a "big deal" at VT, but it would seem most players are in a major that I never heard of before (an athlete's major?).</p>

<p>Any thoughts of the possibility of balancing engineering and baseball? Possible or should he plan on putting all of his time and effort into engineering and enjoy intramurals?</p>

<p>My son is/was in same boat, but then he decided not to even play for HS as a senior - he said he didn't care for the coach's anger management style of coaching (that was actually a pretty harsh comment from a very laid-back kid). He thought about walking on when he gets to VT, but has since decided to just stick w/intramurals. Engineering will be hard enough as is - everything we have read talks about the incredible workload. Loves baseball though and will need something to blow off steam once in a while.</p>

<p>Thanks for the response. My guess is that my son will do the same. I suppose that may change if he does very well in his last high school season, but that is probably not very likely. Maybe the two of them will end up on the same intramural team!</p>

<p>Good luck to your son. Hope you enjoy his last hs playing season. I miss watching much, much more than I thought I would, but if the coach couldn't sweet-talk him into playing, his momma can't either!</p>