Can I consider myself Latino on college applications?

<p>I am a White-Japanese American, and both my parents were born in the U.S. My Japanese-American (born in the U.S) father moved to Brazil when he was 3 years old, he grew up there, then moved back to the US for college. I speak Portuguese, I still have many aunts and uncles in Brazil (half of my dad's extended family still lives there) and my dad who grew up in Brazil still cooks us Brazilian food all the time. However, I do not have a Brazilian last name, nor do I have Brazilian "blood" (Only Japanese/German) because everyone 'above me' on my family tree moved there. The only people who were born there are my dad's youngest sister, and many of my dad's cousins. Would I still consider myself "Latino" on the common app, or is that pushing it?</p>

<p>Good question. I think because your dad was actually born in the U.S., that you would not be considered Latino, but your wonderful heritage is certainly worth including on the application somewhere, perhaps in an essay or additional information section. Many people have asked similar questions before, so you might check out some of these other threads here: <a href=“Hispanic Students - College Confidential Forums”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>I agree with mommyrocks. A few months ago I was speaking to an admissions officer and he mentioned that admissions people are very good at telling when applicants are stretching the truth, and it does not bode well for the applicant. Besides, unless you’re low-income, first gen, and/or PR or MA, the Hispanic hook will be minimal at best. </p>

<p>Thank you guys!! This was very helpful. I actually did write my common app essay about my heritage, so I do explain a little bit why I could consider myself Latino, which is the only reason why I was considering putting myself down as Latino, but I do not want to risk being looked down upon for stretching the truth. Thanks again!</p>

<p>What if your father had moved to Nigeria, would you consider yourself “African”- American? People who are always trying to use the ethnicity labels invariably end up making themselves a questionable applicant.</p>

@"aunt bea"‌ you’d be surprised. lol.

“I am a White-Japanese America” your not Hispanic duh maybe instead of trying to find a hook for yourself you try harder in school