Can I not get in being in the second quarter of students?

my school is very very competitive, and we only rank the top 10% of students, which i am not in. i have a 3.74 gpa and a sat of 1410 with 10 ap classes all 3+. I applied last week and since then A&M have designated me “second quarter” of students. this was a surprise to me but i guess it cant be helped, am i completely screwed?

You do not have a class rank? Private school? Your counselor will know

I go to a public school near dallas, and they have a policy to only rank the top 10% of students. I have… a lot of feeling about our schools policy, and have even attended multiple school board meetings to change our policy. Regardless, it is the way it is for now

Then you should have naviance showing what happened to kids from your school with your score and gpa. The college estimates rank based on those factors and second quarter sounds right. The college has become harder to get into, but still admits outside the top 10%. There is always the Blinn option

1 Like

In the 2022 -23 CDS, A&M shows 61%were in the top 10%, 88% in top 25% and 98% in the top half.

The 10% is assured admission but not the only.

11% is not a very reassuring number… but it is better than 0% so i will have to take it for now. My essays are apparently really good from everyone ive talked too, and im also a legacy if they care about that. I’ve already applied so its in Gods hands now

I’m not hear to reassure. I’m here to answer your question.

Am I completely screwed ? No

Some will depend on major, class rigor, essays.

Only 22% of admits have a 1400 whereas 45% have a 1200-1399 SAT so that’s good.

Their most important criteria per the CDS is rigor (did you take the hardest schedule), rank, gpa, test, ECs and talent / ability. Legacy has no weighting per CDS.

Rank is one thing.

Will you get in? No clue. Odds may be a bit against you.

Is it impossible? Clearly not.

You might confirm with your GC, if they will, where your rank should be. 2nd Qtr is a very wide rank. Check to make sure A&M doesn’t have it wrong if the GC will confirm for you.

Good luck.

Ps you know - with your stats there’s a lot of great schools out there that would want you and many would throw out serious merit $$.

If it’s not A&M, you’ll have plenty of options if you want them and in the end, you moreso than the school, will make your success.

Good luck and don’t panic.

You applied - now they’ll decide. Not god. A&M. You can’t control it but you can control having affordable, solid alternatives.

I will message my GC if they can confirm, although they will almost certainly not be able to. My entire family went to A&M so currently my safety school is to cry in a corner. I have faith in my Lord, not an admissions board.

Ok. We’ll we won’t go down that rabbit hole but if that’s the case, then know you’ll end up where they want you to be. And you should provide an opportunity for it to happen.

I’d suggest finding other safeties. With your stats, there’s many of them and at affordable levels. If that safety is going to cause you to be upset, it’s not the right school for you.

You want to be proactive here, not reactive because while you may get in, on paper it’s not a sure thing.

What major ?

1 Like

I know lots of kids who spent the one year at Blinn but were on the A&M campus. You can join greek life, the Corps-in short, it is just like being a regular student. No difference at all. Do not stress, you can make this happen

1st choice Economics and 2nd is Political Science. I have heard they arent too competitive but i am not sure

I get it; you are an Aggie family. There is no other school. So look into the Blinn options ( and if you join the Corps you live with them) and understand how you will handle the first year

1 Like

I wish you luck @roycroftmom suggested an alternative if needed (and we don’t know you will) I don’t know how it works so if you ask or they have to offer.

In case if you don’t end up there, then it will be for that reason and you’ll know you are meant to create a new path.

Traditions are funny - some families may have multi generations at one school. Other families never repeat and even go to the rival schools.

What is your safety that would make you cry ?

Is it you don’t like it or just - you won’t like anywhere not A&M?

Life is long. You’ll be fine either way and I suspect your family will love and appreciate you either way.

1 Like

@roycroftmom straight Blinn students can NOT join the Corps, Greek Life, have a sports pass… they are not A&M students.
Blinn TEAM students can, but TEAM can’t be applied for, can only be offered.

2 Likes

Yes, I had assumed Team of course-everyone I know who applied got Team, and I can’t see any reason this kid wouldn’t. Still, you are right, it is a difference.

1 Like

@wesleyapokluda there is no longer legacy consideration at A&M.
When did you apply?
You have a strong SAT, so that’s good!
Never a good idea to ‘put all your eggs in 1 basket’, unless auto admit. There are many outstanding schools in Texas and beyond. And just because many family members went to A&M, doesn’t mean it is the best school for you.

3 Likes

This last monday, so the 25th. It is really a matter of familial honor, and not to mention my parents will not pay for an education outside of A&M.

More than 4000 kids are offered Blinn Team. Even if for some odd reason you do not get it, then you will join the 9000 others offered the PSA program and transfer to College Station after a year elsewhere

1 Like

Ok. Here’s my question.

You stated “ my safety school is to cry in a corner.”

That’s not a safety school. Do you have any ?

Now your parents will only pay for A&M so that is problematic but there are many schools out there with great aid.

Listen, I hope you get into A&M - but what is your plan if you don’t ? Have you not applied to or are you not planning to apply anywhere else ?

In the end, it’s best to be proactive, not reactive.

And talk to your folks.

I’m not them but I don’t think many parents would say this school or nothing. It seems unlikely. Fir many, A&M would just not be right. Too big ? For others they might not get in.

How about other A&M campuses like Galveston as a back up ?

1 Like

OP needs an automatic full ride for a safety, since the parents will not pay for any school other than Texas A&M (presumably, this means College Station, since there are other less selective Texas A&M system universities).

University Scholarships - Office of Scholarship Services can be an automatic full ride safety, but the OP would need to do political science as a major, since it does not have economics as a major.

2 Likes