Can you appeal financial aid?

<p>lol…oh…I read that wrong. </p>

<p>But, yes, NC has some wonderful instate publics, I wonder if the OP applied to any of them?</p>

<p>I’m guessing that the goal was to attend a big sports school, but since that would be pricey, then go elsewhere for 2 years, and then transfer to UNC-CH or elsewhere.</p>

<p>OP - Do not go into a lot debt for an OOS. Your state has a number of good schools. If you haven’t applied to them you should check and see if you still can. If you can’t apply for fall then think about taking a gap year. Save up your money and apply to schools where you can get merit aid.</p>

<p>OP said that she wouldn’t get an automatic scholarship because she missed the deadline. If she qualifies for a scholarship and did take a gap year and didn’t take any CC classes, would she still be able to get an automatic scholarship as an incoming freshman during the next year? (Assuming that she qualifies and they are offered again). </p>

<p>I think the in-state options are probably a better route, but if there is the potential for a merit award by waiting a year, that would be better than taking on the debt.</p>

<p>i was wondering that too. or, if he/she takes a gap year, he/she could move to the state and gain residency.</p>

<p>way better than taking on all that debt.</p>

<p>Financial Aid can be appealed in certain circumstances such as medical expenses, income reduction, or caring for a dependent of the student. These forms for the 2013-14 academic year can be found at [Forms</a> 2013-14 - Financial Aid - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://financialaid.ua.edu/forms/1314/]Forms”>Financial Aid Forms – Page 1314 – Financial Aid | The University of Alabama). Income reduction form should be filed if there is a difference of income between this year and what was reported on 2012 tax forms. </p>

<p>If none of these apply to your situation, you should speak to a financial aid counselor. If they are unable to resolve your need for additional aid, you may speak to Helen Allen. She’s the director for Student Financial Aid at UA. </p>

<p>As students choose not to attend, additional aid options become available. The students that communicate their additional need tend to be the first ones on the list as options become available.</p>

<p>Actually, there isn’t much aid (if any) that becomes available as students decline. Schools use models so that they know how much they can “over award” and come out about even when everything settles. Sometimes there is some positive balance, but not much…and what is available would likely go to instate students. </p>

<p>Yes, a FA Officer can use PJ (professional judgment) to change one’s EFC if the student’s family can show a very large amount of unreimbursed medical expenses. The amount considered must be more than about 9% of the family income, and that excess still won’t cause a dollar for dollar decrease in EFC. </p>

<p>this studeent can try to appeal, but really, the chances are low. </p>

<p>Bama does state that it will sometimes give more aid to high stats students with need, so that means that Bama does sometimes give “preferential pkgs”. But, I strongly suspect that aid is competitive merit…not grants.</p>

<p>Yes, there isn’t much but while I attended UA, I was typically able to receive additional aid as the semester began by going to the financial aid office and talking to them. I am an in-state student though so that’s probably how I was able to receive assistance in my favor. </p>

<p>The merit based financial aid assistance is in the form of a “Financial Aid Scholarship” which is $500 a semester. I do not believe new freshmen qualify for it though.</p>