OOS students- how are you paying for UA?

<p>I was accepted to the University of Alabama early this school year and was overwhelmed with excitement. It was my first acceptance and I fell in love with the school’s academics, student life, setting, etc… One major turn-off, however, was the cost.</p>

<p>I am just wondering how other out-of-state students are coping with the high-cost of a UA education. </p>

<p>The federal aid I should receive doesn’t even put a small dent in the total cost of attendance, but I have also applied for a bunch of scholarships, so we’ll see how that turns out. </p>

<p>Does anyone know if UA offers any need-based aid?</p>

<p>many (or most) of the OOS students on this board are on academic scholarship of some kind.</p>

<p>and OOS cost is lower at UA than in state cost in some states.</p>

<p>if your family makes a decent amount of money at all, you can pretty much forget need based aid.</p>

<p>My mom’s total income is approximately $24,000/year and she’s the only one in my family who earns money, as I do not work and my sister is too young to.</p>

<p>I know that I probably shouldn’t have even applied to UA due to the high cost compared to my mom’s income, but I love the school too much to not apply. Maybe something crazy will happen and I’ll get a load of outside scholarships. Who knows?</p>

<p>Plus, my grandfather has mentioned the possibility of selling his antique car after he finishes redoing the upholstery. He should easily get $30,000 off of it, and he said he might use some of that money to help with my college costs.</p>

<p>LiveandLearn: have you filed your FAFSA yet? Based on your mom’s income (and of course, if there are assets and other things you might not be aware of) your EFC is coming up as 0 which means that you should get good need based aid no matter where you attend.</p>

<p>I’m not sure how UA determines need based aid for OOS students though. Hopefully a parent experienced in this area will be able to help.</p>

<p>I’ve started working on the FAFSA, but I’m waiting for my mom’s W-2 and tax forms to come in so I can finish it. </p>

<p>Does UA actually have need-based aid? Most of the public schools here (I’m from Texas) don’t have much institutional aid and most of the aid money students get is from the federal government and the state.</p>

<p>^^^I’m sorry sweetie but I have no idea as my D hasn’t had to deal with that part of UA. I poked around a little on the website and found the student financial aid page at: [Financial</a> Aid - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://financialaid.ua.edu/]Financial”>http://financialaid.ua.edu/) </p>

<p>Hopefully someone else on this forum will know more, but you can always contact someone in the FA office.</p>

<p>Best of luck!</p>

<p>Unfortunately, most publics do not have much need-based aid to help OOS students meet the high OOS costs. Only UVA and UNC do. Most publics have to reserve their precious little need based aid for instate students…and even that is often not enough. </p>

<p>So, without merit scholarships, it’s questionalbe as to whether Bama will be able to give you much more than the small amount of federal aid that you’ll qualify for…likely full Pell (5500) and a student loan 5500. $11000 is only about 1/3 of the total costs for an OOS student. </p>

<p>Even if your Granddad were able to help you a bit with your first year, how would you pay for your later years?</p>

<p>*and OOS cost is lower at UA than in state cost in some states.</p>

<p>*</p>

<p>Yes, it is close to some states’ instate tuition, especially if you can get a small scholarship. At Family Weekend, I met some students with their families from Calif…all from the same high school. Most were paying full-freight (no scholarships). Their parents said that their kids stats weren’t high enough for UCLA or Berkeley, and their kids wanted the flagship college football experience…and OOS Bama costs about the same as a UC instate.</p>

<p>LiveandLearn… Did you submit the scholarship application? What did you put for your major? If I remember correctly, you’re AA. If so, there may be some scholarship money for you.</p>

<p>My advice to anyone out of state who really wants to go to UA, but can’t afford the OOS tuition: consider moving to Alabama, working full time and taking a class or two at a local junior college, then transfer once in state eligibility is achieved. Most college students take more than four years to graduate anyway, and this would give you a chance to gain some maturity prior to enrolling full time in college. And it could also pad your pocketbook for those lean years when you will be a full time college student. </p>

<p>Why not move to Tuscaloosa or Bham, get a job, get to know the local scene, and then enter UA a year or two later? One can make big bucks as a bartender, a waiter, a clothing dept. salesperson, construction worker, etc. There are a lot of construction projects on campus now, and in the coming years, so this should be a real consideration for anyone who really likes UA, but wants to wait till they can take advantage of in state tuition.</p>

<p>* One can make big bucks as a bartender, a waiter,*</p>

<p>Seriously. When I was in T-town recently, I was talking to a server who graduated from Bama last May in Business. He has a day job which pays well…but he just can’t give up his night weekend job because the money is so good and he’s saving for a house. </p>

<p>BTW…that restaurant…had a help wanted sign out… It’s the new Wings U restaurant…really cool place. It’s in Midtown Village.</p>

<p>Maybe the family should move to T-town. It doesn’t sound like the mom is making much money in their home town. Housing is cheap in T-town…maybe the mom could find similar or better paying work there.</p>

<p>Thanks for the input, everyone. </p>

<p>I did submit a scholarship application, and my major is Advertising. Also, I am not AA. </p>

<p>I have a full ride to a school near Dallas (school pays for tuition and federal/state aid would cover the rest). If I got a job on campus and went to school, I could save the money earned and apply it to UA if I were to transfer. How well does UA work with transfers? Is it difficult to transfer?</p>

<p>*I have a full ride to a school near Dallas (school pays for tuition and federal/state aid would cover the rest). If I got a job on campus and went to school, I could save the money earned and apply it to UA if I were to transfer. How well does UA work with transfers? Is it difficult to transfer? *</p>

<p>It’s rather easy to transfer to Bama.</p>

<p>which school do you have a full ride to?</p>

<p>did you apply to a&m?</p>

<p>i think with as little money as you have to work with, you need to go to one of your lowest cost options (as long as it is a decent school.) even thinking about going to a school where you would have to pay OOS tuition is not very realistic. you do not want to come out of school with a bunch of debt!!!</p>

<p>the option of moving to an area and working for a year and establishing residency might work though.</p>

<p>if she moved to alabama and established residency and all that would she then be eligible for FA for in-state kids?</p>

<p>no slight to you liveandlearn, but your stats are not high enough for the merit aid you need. and state schools like to give FA to in state kids. privates might give you something, but the leftover costs there are still most likely going to be higher than you can afford.</p>

<p>so, you need to look at your best cheapest options or go to CC. i know CC is not ideal, but it is ideal if you can get a year of tuition for 1500 bucks and live at home (no living expenses). you will be doing a disservice to yourself incurring a bunch of debt.</p>

<p>I have a full ride to UNT (University of North Texas).</p>

<p>Liveandlearn…what are your career plans? </p>

<p>What are your stats?</p>

<p>I plan to go into marketing- specifically advertising and public relations. I also plan on doing freelance journalism. </p>

<p>GPA- 3.62/4.0
SAT (superscore)- CR 600, M 560, W 700 (I just retook it, so it could go up.)</p>

<p>My ECs and recs are very strong.</p>

<p>how much will you have to pay at unt?</p>

<p>does full ride for you mean room and board, as well?</p>

<p>oh, and, btw, no school i know of superscores the SAT.</p>

<p>I won’t have to pay anything except for miscellaneous expenses (parking fees, maybe books and that sort of thing). The school has a program for low-income students that is funded by donors and through fundraising events and guarantees tuition and mandatory fees for qualifying students. My federal and state aid will cover my room and board expenses.</p>

<p>My highest single test date (so far) is CR 600, M 550, W 700 so there’s not much difference.</p>

<p>liveandlearn2011: You have some nice test scores and a decent GPA. While I know you love Alabama, I shall give you the advice that many of my students seek when they are looking at schools. UNT appears to have a solid journalism program with lots of opportunities. So, seriously consider taking that financial safety, especially if you will be facing huge amounts of debt by going OOS. Lots of kids are doing that. One of my son’s friends really liked what Alabama’s engineering department offered, but in the end, he went to Virginia Tech (an in-state school), because it was a better, financial move. He also will get a great education there. One of my current students is deciding between a small, private school for nursing and a large, public, in-state university. She loves that in-state public, but she knows that the private school may be a better fit for her finances.</p>

<p>If you still love Alabama after four years, you could go there for grad school. And if your grades, etc. are very good, perhaps you could get a scholarship to pay for your masters.</p>

<p>Think about it … and good luck.</p>

<p>well, if you can go to UNT for, basically, personal expenses, you really probably should do that! it may not be your dream school, but in the long run i think you will be better off.</p>

<p>many of my daughters friends are going there (didn’t get into a&m or UT) and they are not on a full ride scholarship.</p>

<p>if you go there for UG, then you could always go somewhere else you like better for grad school, if you want.</p>

<p>that is a great opportunity, if you ask me!!!</p>