Can you match very different twins who want to stay close to each other?

I get that any kid can change their mind. I am just curious why people think he is more likely to than she is.

1 Like

Bryn Mawr and Haverford keep coming up. I am curious because I don’t know either well, and my impression of both is small and super hard to get into.

Can someone tell me about them?

The GoBus connects several Ohio colleges (and Parkersburg, WV). Routes | Ride GoBus

Ohio University (Athens, OH) has an excellent honors program and your D is a good candidate for merit there. Marietta College is small but does offer music therapy, is nearby and on the GoBus route.

Ohio University also offers Music Therapy.

1 Like

I don’t think he’s more likely to change his mind, but his is the more specialized field. You can be pre-med anywhere.

I think in terms of his grades ECU or Queens would be likelies. He’d just need to do well on the auditions.

1 Like

Wanted to add Davidson is in the Charlotte area too and could be a great fit for your daughter if your son was at Queens. It would help for them to have a car, though. There is somewhat decent public transport in the city of Charlotte but not out to Davidson I don’t believe.

I think your info about your D being an academic high flyer and GPA made it sound like these would be good places for her to be with intellectual peers. They are small, true, but they are part of a consortium so she could take classes at other schools. They are not urban settings, but suburban with very easy access to Philly.

I suggested them because I thought the music therapy major was the more limiting search factor, so once I saw that WCU had music therapy, then there are many schools that could fit your D that are within the geographic range: Drexel, Penn, Villanova, Bryn Mawr, Immaculata, Haverford, Swarthmore, Ursinus, UDelaware, even Lehigh or Muhlenburg.

So far, I don’t see anything between two colleges where one could ride a bike back and forth. And while some are seemingly closer, the public transport wouldn’t make it an easy trip.

Also, you want to look into how much it actually costs for cars on campus. At some places this is very costly.

This criteria could end up being harder to fulfill than any other…unless these kids both attend the same college…and that IS a possibility worth exploring.

These schools would certainly be bike-able (and some are definitely walkable). Bolding of distances added by me:

3 Likes

Queens U and UNC-C are 15 miles apart. It’s doable by public transport but not super quick. About 20-25 min by car.

Davidson is about 30 min from Queens by car.

1 Like

The five college area in Western MA can work and there is free bus service between campus: UMass, Amherst, Smith, Mt Holyoke, and Hampshire. Literally something for every type of student.

Consider:

Pacific University in Forest Grove, Oregon for music therapy and Oregon State University in Corvallis for multiple environmental science/studies and pre-med majors

Seattle Pacific University for music therapy and University of Washington for your daughter

1 Like

Plus the previously-mentioned Western Michigan + Kalamazoo https://bikefriendlykalamazoo.org/

I know OP’s daughter is currently thinking larger-university, not LAC, but that could really be a question to explore over the next few years. What is it about larger schools that seems better? If it’s a social-circle thing, then a small school like Kalamazoo with a larger public right next door (with a sibling potentially attending at that) still leads to a larger student community that could address that concern; plus there is a cross-registration agreement, so it enhances the course offerings too. Likewise the women’s colleges that have been mentioned - Bryn Mawr, Smith, Mount Holyoke - are all part of consortia that augment the size of the student body and the breadth of course offerings. And all of these colleges can be great places for merit-hunting… and the academic environment and advising for premeds can often be more supportive than at larger schools.

2 Likes

Tulane and Loyola look like he could walk between them (I have never been) and Howard is biking distance to Georgetown, GW and American, and a straightforward trip on public transportation to UMD.

5 Likes

I think NYC will be tricky, as far as getting the brother into a Music Therapy program at NYU - which would be a reach for high-stats students.

Maybe the approach should be to first identify colleges for the brother, and then see what might be attractive to the sister in the vicinity?

Per example, in New Jersey, Rowan University would be a match for the brother (AMTA Approved Schools | NJAMT) - from there, Philadelphia is a short car ride, even Princeton can be reached in little over an hour and state flagship Rutgers is under 1 1/2 hours by car.

Another good option would be Montclair University for Music Therapy, it is also a popular school for teaching degrees. From there, NYC is drivable - or the sister at Barnumbia or NYU, can take the train out to Montclair.

MSU actually has a train station on campus (but trains to nyc do t run on weekends). Rutgers New Brunswick does as well.

3 Likes

Belmont University and Vanderbilt University are about a mile apart, as the crow flies.

2 Likes

Tulane and Loyola are literally adjacent to one another, borders touching. Students of each spend time on the other campus every day. While reading though your thread I was amazed at how well this combination would work for your kids and their interests.

5 Likes

They are both small schools around a mile apart with Bryn Mawr being all girls. They are in a consortium with Swarthmore, but it is easier to take classes between Haverford and Bryn Mawr. Haverford is known for its honor code. My son is a freshman at Haverford if you have more questions.

I feel as though, for my son, LoyNO with his sister next door would be the dream. What better place to study jazz than New Orleans? Plus he likes to eat!

I need to take her to see Tulane. Anyone know it is for premed? And how hard is it to get in?

3 Likes

Tulane is excellent for premed!

Both schools have Early Action. (Question is whether your son’s desired major admits early, or whether the audition process takes longer.) Tulane has a reputation for deferring EA applicants and pressuring them to switch their apps to ED2 for the best chance of acceptance. This could work for your daughter if your son would know soon enough about his acceptance…

1 Like