Capstone Hotel on Campus

Is the hotel Capstone right on campus? Is it a nice hotel? Is it walking distance to places to eat? Thank you… trying to arrange a visit for the Capstone day in January. A million thanks! UA parents… You are awesome!!!

It is nice, and it is right on campus. Just a short drive to places to eat (1-2 min).

The other hotel close to campus is Hampton Inn. There are 2 - one in Cottondale, on the interstate, and the one next too campus.

It’s technically “on campus” but don’t picture it as being “right there on campus”. Univ grounds are huge, and Capstone is on the perimeter.

I don’t consider it to be within walking distance to places to eat unless you’re used to walking a distance.

I see that you’ll be visiting in January. It could easily be too cold to walk.

It is a nice hotel though the rooms are small. They recently remodeled and it is nice. The bar downstairs is a nice place to relax, very small.

It is not walking distance except to Jimmy Johns and maybe Jack’s.

It is on the edge of campus, in a sliver tucked into UA property. UA property surrounds the hotel.
I would not walk from the hotel to the Ferg to check in for a tour, long walk! Though, East Edge apartments are even further and a lot of students live there without a car and walk to classes all the time. I’d recommend driving for some things.

Hampton Inn University is nice, only walking distance to one place to eat, Bauhowers.
It is a few minute drive from campus. No chance of walking to anywhere from the Hampton Inn except for Baumhowers. *** this is the one on Harper Lee. The other one is called Hampton Inn East and it is even further from campus. I prefer the University location on Harper Lee.

The new Embassy Suites and Home2Suites downtown on University Blvd are within walking distance to a great number of places to eat & shop.

@mom2coIIegekids - How cold is Alabama in January? Do we need winter jackets? I don’t even own a coat. LOL- South Florida

Thank you everyone for your responses. UA families are the most amazing people on College Confidential. I really appreciate all the information and kindness here. Some truly awesome people!

For January, bring a jacket.

^addendum - there is a Newks just a 1-2 minute drive away.

@TXNewCollegeMom We stayed at the Campus Hampton Inn three weeks ago. We liked it quite a bit. However, Baumhowers is closed for renovations. And I agree that the Hampton Inn is not within walking distance. It’s an easy drive, but according to Google Maps it’s a two-mile walk to the stadium.

I wuold take more than a jacket. It could end up being very cold as well as rain.
Two years ago many students were delayed getting back after the break due to weather.
It can get pretty chilly. If you are from Florida, even what some deem as “jacket weather” will be more like full on parka, hat, gloves, thermals to those from S. Florida.

We stayed there on our fall break visit. It was fine, but we still drove from there to our HC tour. Once at HC you can walk to the student union for food. Room service breakfast was a pretty inexpensive option.

Re: The weather.

This morning in Tuscaloosa, my car’s windows were coated with ice. So, yes, it does get very cold here. Last week, we had some “shorts and flip-flops” weather, but Tuscaloosa’s weather can extremely change within 24 hours, so come prepared.

@Floridamomma - hello, another south Florida mom here! FYI, we stayed at Home2 back in November. It was nice - walking distance to DePalma’s. Also, probably a 15 minute walk to the stadium. We hit it off with one of the guys who works there, he went to UA and is very helpful for directions, etc. Everyone we encountered there was friendly.

It was chilly but not unbearably cold when we were there. I would definitely plan to bring cold weather gear.

Thank you everyone for your help. I have another question… During the Capstone day, do they take you to see the Stadium? I was wondering if I should book that tour separately? I think it would be an awesome experience for my daughter to see the Stadium. Adds to the picture of the University setting. Thank you in advance.