Career advice (OT and PT)

Hi, I am considering occupational or physical therapy as a career, but I’ve heard that you have to carry a lot, like carrying people. Can someone share if this is true and if you can still be an OT or PT without having to lift or carry a lot? Also, if someone is an OT or PT, do you get have to deal with like death and your patients not surviving?
Thank you for your advice

1 Like

@Cupcake5555 I am a little confused by all of your threads this month…none of the others mention OT or PT…they are more business related, and you aren’t sure about those either.

Keep in mind…to practice as a PT, you will need a DPT (doctorate in physical therapy). This is a lengthy number of years plus externships.

For OT you will need a masters degree. If you didn’t get accepted to a direct entry OT program (and it sounds like you didn’t) add at least 2-3 years after your bachelors.

Both OT and PT programs are highly competitive for admissions.

And in both cases, you will need to pass a licensing exam.

Anyone in a allied health profession could potentially have to deal with a patient dying. People seek OT and PT services because of an injury or inability to do things they need to do.

Re: lifting…OTs typically don’t lift as much, but they might need to position a client, which requires moving the person carefully as trained. PTs don’t carry people, but also might need to reposition or move a person who can’t do so on their own…for therapy purposes.

2 Likes

You will be lifting. You aren’t going to be be picking people up out of a chair (though you will have to help them stand up). A head alone weighs about 12 pounds. A leg is heavy. You will have to help someone get on a stationary bike, or similar. So yes, lifting is needed.

If you are a physical therapist, a large percentage of your clients will be elderly. Yes, it is likely you will encounter the loss of a patient at some point. I’m not sure if you mean will you be present when that happens though.

@Cupcake5555 have you ever shadowed an OT or PT? If you have questions about these professions, that would be the right thing to do. It sounds like you pulled these out of a hat with very little knowledge of what either profession entails.

So…find an in person OT and PT…talk to them and ask questions.

2 Likes

I understand, but there are no fast-track programs in my state so I couldn’t have done that anyways. I don’t mind the master’s if the career is a good fit for me.
I was considering both business and healthcare, but don’t want to sit on screens all day, and was disappointed when I asked ppl if I could have a business-related job that doesn’t have to be on a computer all day. Someone recommended OT and since I love helping people, I’ve started considering it and compared to other healthcare professions, it is quite unique.

And as for finding an in-person OT and PT, how am I supposed to do that? Like do I call the clinics because they are busy

Start by reading here:

https://www.aota.org/

I have no idea how you would know if a career is right for you without some kind of personal interaction with a provider.

Most school systems have an OT and PT at least contracted for services for students. Start there. Call or meet with the special education director in your district. Tell them of your interest and see if you can shadow one of these folks. Our school OT and PT and SLP staff members were very happy to share info about their professions.

Facilities management- a fine business career which is not sitting behind a computer all day. There will be some (everyone has to respond to emails and participate in Zoom meetings) but it’s not as much as a financial analyst and there is a LOT of human contact, meeting with vendors, etc. Human Resources- some functions (employee benefits) are very computer/spreadsheet; others-- employee relations- are mostly not.

Etc. Do you even read the responses to what you post in other threads???

3 Likes

My sister is an OT. My neighbor is a physical therapist and instructor. I am an SLP.

In the hospital we’d be considered an “acute rehab team”. In skilled nursing facilities, we’d be considered the “chronic care rehab team”.

In the schools we’d be considered the “special ed team”.

I take it from your posts that you want a fast and easy educational experience that will pay you well, correct?

OT and PT are not it. With Occupational therapy your job is to get the patient to a functional level of daily living. For adults that may mean carrying out a daily schedule -Taking care of daily hygiene, cooking for yourself, Typing emails, signing your name, etc.
For a child, occupational therapy means getting them to walk in a line at school, jump off of a step, writing their name, doing work sheets with grip supports. They are Learning how to extend their range of motion so that they’re not awkward when they walk, or when they move for school purposes.
Physical therapy involves getting a person to be able to move from point A to point B without PAIN or further injury.

In other words, to do all of these things, you need a strong background in anatomy and physiology.

You, yourself, have to learn how to move and lift anyone without injuring yourself.

You need to observe people in various stages of progress and record your observation hours.

You need to spend a lot of time watching how the body corresponds to certain movements.

You also need to do internships in hospitals, clinics, and schools with every age and stage.
You will see people in bandages, casts, swings, straps, lifts and grotesque injuries.

When you see people in a vulnerable state of illness, who can’t move, and can’t go to the restroom by themselves, you have to be the most compassionate person on the planet and help them. It is your responsibility, as a person who has selected this occupation, to take care of another human being without being “grossed out”.

You need to be able to handle death and be compassionate with families because it does come up.
All of this takes extensive knowledge, experience, practice and extreme compassion, so it’s not for everyone.

This is not something that you can just do “off the cuff” because you’ve heard that it’s something that you could easily do. That’s why you need to do undergrad and graduate work in this area to even be considering these fields. It’s extremely competitive and expensive and requires some semblance of thought.

1 Like

My daughter graduated undergrad as an exercise science major. Her 4 siblings are/were business majors. All agree business was an easier major. She is now in a 3 year 9 semester dpt program. In high school she shadowed PT’s to make sure this is what she wanted. It’s a hard program (that she loves). She is also very into health and fitness and could never work at a desk all day (her older siblings stare at screens 10+ hours a day).

1 Like

Thank you
I did not mean that my educational experience had to be easy and fast. Based on my financial situation, I want to do at max 7 years of schooling.

If you didn’t get accepted to a direct admission PT program, I’m not sure you will be done in 7 years.

Maybe to OT.

Both require externships as part of your training

1 Like

PT programs are 2.5 yrs to 3 yrs after undergrad and so are OT programs. I know one nearby that requires 20 hours of observation and is 33 months. I want to know more about a career as an OT so if anyone can share more, please so so.
Thank you

Read the site I linked above. It’s for the OT association, and has a lot of good info on it.

1 Like

Is there a 2027 mandate for MSOT programs to become OTD programs? I thought I read that somewhere.

To be licensed…required in both fields…you also need to take a licensing exam.

I don’t believe only 20 hours of observation are the requirements for licensure as an OT from an accredited program…and you want an accredited program. OTs typically do three clinical rotations after they finish their coursework. Three different service areas. This takes a while to get done also. I don’t remember how long these rotations each are, but I think at least two months each.

But really read the info on the site I linked above. It’s very clear!

The DPT takes longer.

I think you may be underestimating the time involved in completion of this or a similar program.

If the OT programs are anything like the OT and Speech programs that I’ve experienced, then I think there will be more time involved to go through the program.

Every course, that I had taken, had a “lab” component, and required additional observational or lab hours.

Sometimes professors took sabbaticals such that coursework was not offered during that semester or quarter. Then you have to wait until it is offered.

My younger sister (OT) had a lot of required observational hours then had to do her clinical rotations at a variety of placements. In these types of professions, you must have proof of serving every age within a specific age group and documented hours signed off by the supervisors.

“Peds” is separated by label: preschool-ages 3-5, primary-ages 6-11, adolescent middle 12-14, adolescent-HS 14-18. and adults, especially geriatric.

Then you break down by “conditions” to get practicum hours for TBI, Stroke, Anoxia, HA, car accident, toxins, etc.
Sometimes, we had students asking each other if anyone had specific populations that they could cover and get their hours for practicum.
Things do come up so you have to expect these to happen.

It depends on the setting. I’m a director of rehab (PT) for a large home care agency. The OT’s that are on my staff definitely do a good amount of lifting. They are in people’s homes, helping them re-learn how to dress themselves, bathe, use the toilet, cook, etc. If the patient is particularly weak and deconditioned, this involves helping them get up from a chair or bed in order to participate in ADL (activities of daily living) training.

Prior to working in home care, I was in outpatient for 15 years. There, the OTs did not do much, if any, lifting. They primarily helped people with upper body injuries. Some were certified hand therapists. If you are considering a career in OT, I would recommend shadowing OTs who work in different settings so you get a good idea of what they do. Good luck!

1 Like