Carnegie Mellon Admissions Fall 2022

Was your Info Session for waitlisted students only? Didn’t know they had that. Wondering how you could draw conclusions about the gender ratio of waitlisted students?

Based on what we heard at the admitted student days, I’d guess Drama and SCS are the least likely schools to have a lot of wait list movement. Drama had an acceptance rate near 1%. SCS was ~3.24% (383 admits out of 11,790+). SCS class size is usually 225-250 which would be a ~65% yield.

Either way best of luck!

1 Like

@dudeperfect can you please provide more insight?

Did they explicitly say “no end date” for priority wait lists or is it possible they switched to talking about both waitlists? Because, without that early response deadline there really isn’t any benefit to being on the priority list vs the regular.

Yes, the session was for waitlisted students only. They have 3 such sessions. the first one was on April 18.

My comment on the gender ratio was solely based on the fact out of 12-15 families present, only 2 families had girl students. It is very likely this group is not representative at all.

Class size: They had shared they are targeting a class size of 258 for SCS.
Interestingly, they shared there were 8,641 applicants for SCS and a 5% acceptance rate - this works out to 432 offers. These numbers are different than what you have shared.

I told my kiddo to not expect anything and he is already looking forward to Georgia Tech.

1 Like

“No end date”: I checked with my kiddo. His interpretation was that after May 13 everyone gets placed on the regular waitlist. That explains the no end date comment that I had heard.

Thanks for the clarification. That makes sense - having just one WL after May 13th. The FAQ does however mention a decision will be provided by June 1.

Good luck to your kid at GT! It’s a fantastic school.

Just out of curiosity: if he came off the WL at CMU would he pick it over GT?

1 Like

Thank you for your wishes.

Yes, I believe he will accept CMU over GT.
CMU has been generous with the aid package, unlike GT.

1 Like

That’s nice that they do special sessions for WL students. I hope it works out for you! But GT is great, also. GT was a strong candidate for us, too, but they gave $0 aid.

The admission numbers I shared came directly from the admitted student SCS session on the same day you were there. In fact, the slide they showed us had the numbers each year for the past decade or so. My recollection is that last year was a 4.7% acceptance rate. I wonder if they were giving you last years numbers.

1 Like

Yes, GT is a great school. When we visited GT, we all liked it.

Maybe CMU folks shared the 2021 data.
Either way, the only way the CS waitlist may move is if >125 kids decline their offers.
For CS, that seems a high buffer to manage their yield.

1 Like

Even I wrote it down as 3.2% (11,793 application -383 admitted this year → 215 expected to enroll). That’s straight out from their SCS session (recorded)

1 Like

Where is your D deciding to go?

She committed to MIT few days ago. Though she was always swaying on the side of MIT, we wanted her to experience their admitted students days (3.14 days at a stretch) and feel it. She went there, loved it.

5 Likes

Congratulations!
Great choice.
Wishing her the very best.

This may be heresy on this forum, but my son was accepted by Carnegie-Mellon for Mechanical Engineering, but he decided to commit to Case Western Reserve instead. This was a tough decision for him. Students turn down CMU engineering for MIT, or even GA Tech, but CWRU? At the end of the day, he chose fit over ranking and prestige.

13 Likes

Good for him! He sounds like a smart and mature young man who knows what he wants and will do great in life.

Best wishes.

3 Likes

What does 215 expected to enroll mean? is it 215 already committed? Thanks

1 Like

It means they want that number to enroll. If the yield turns up fewer students, they’ll go to that waitlist. If they hit that number or over-enroll with more, no one gets off that waitlist.

2 Likes

Dad, Thanks

1 Like

I went to LSU for Chemical Engineering and an MBA. I didn’t have the financial means to go to higher ranked schools. I have some MIT, UT, and Ga Tech folks reporting to me in my organization. They are all great people. Once you’re in the workforce no one really cares where your diploma is from. Companies care about what you do for them, not where you graduated from.

5 Likes

R_TX, Agreed. I have met Ivy League grads who didn’t have the common sense of a housecat. I have also worked with electricians who caught mistakes made by MEP engineers with degrees from top colleges.

3 Likes

We’re way off topic again.

2 Likes