Carnegie Mellon SAMS 2021 Discussion

Hello everyone! I saw there wasn’t a thread for SAMS 2021, so decided to start one myself. I got in last year, but it was cancelled due to COVID-19. I really loved SAMS, and am hoping I can do it this year!

Good luck to everyone applying. Hope we can all get to know each other and do SAMS together!

Hi, I am browsing through all CMU-Pre-college programs. Are all the CMU programs (AI4All, Computer Science Scholars, SAMS) are targetting underrepresented communities ?
Do they consider Applications from other communities for above pre-college programs particularly SAMS?
If the chances are very slim then I would like to focus on other programs.

@CavsFan2003 thanks for making this thread! I was looking for one as well.

I have the same question. All programs are for underrepresented communities?

They accept any application for each of the programs, but your chances of getting in without being in an underrepresented community are probably low. I know SAMS and AI4ALL are targeted towards underrepresented communities especially, but CS Scholars is brand new so I am not sure. Judging by the criteria on the website, I assume they are as well.

1 Like

thank you @CavsFan2003

It this based on some set of facts or historical acceptance data, or just an opinion/observation?

They can encourage application, as they do, but I believe that

Carnegie Mellon University does not discriminate in admission, employment or administration of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, handicap or disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, ancestry, belief, veteran status or genetic information. Furthermore, Carnegie Mellon University does not discriminate and is required not to discriminate in violation of federal, state or local laws or executive orders.

is a legal requirement.

Based on historical acceptance data (err, at least the “data” that I’ve seen)

They will allow anyone to apply, but if a program is skewed towards underrepresented communities as SAMS has historically been, they’re probably not going to accept as many people who are not from those communities. That is not discrimination, that’s simply fulfilling the goals of the program. For what it’s worth, everyone I know who did SAMS/got accepted into SAMS was in some sort of underrepresented community, whether that be income, family background, race, sexuality, etc. I don’t know the other programs as deeply.

It’s not going to be impossible to get into SAMS if you’re not in one of these communities, but it will be much, much less likely. Obviously, I’m not an AO, though, so I could be completely off-base.

Hi I’m a current sophomore and interested in this program. From what I’ve seen in the sams 2020 post, sophomores get a lower chance on being accepted? Also, is the admission rolling basis? because i have upcoming finals and I’ll probably start my application quite late and i’m afraid it’ll hurt my chances. Thank you!

Also, i heard last year less people were accepted due to corona. what about this year?

it’s not rolling this year

“Students are admitted on a rolling basis until the application deadline. Scholarship applications will be read collectively and decisions will be released on April 14.“

that’s for the other pre college programs, if you look at the website they are in separate boxes

they cancelled sams last year, so how could less people be accepted due to corona if it didn’t happen?

They still accepted students for last year; it was cancelled about a month after I was accepted. They halved the program, from what I heard? This is just something I heard from other acceptees, I’m not sure how true it is.

oh :flushed: well hopefully they don’t do that this year

How are you sure that April 14 isn’t a “we will notify you of your decision by then” date? Surely a change this significant to the admissions process would be either posted on the SAMS page or explicitly stated on the general admissions page?

I was a little confused too, but one of my friends emailed them to confirm and they said that the sams application is no longer rolling. would that mean decisions are decided all at once or would it mean that they still look at the applications as they come in but instead of some kids reciveing their decision early, we all get it at the same time? I’ll probably just submit my application early just in case though.

realized my response doesn’t make any sense, but basically I don’t know whether they look at applications as they come in, but I do know that we all receive results on the same day.

I see. Thanks for clarifying!