CC Weekly Round Up June 21st-30th

Hi all, I’m posting the weekly round up a bit early this week, since I’m headed out of town tomorrow for a long weekend of sun and fun with my family. Before I go, some highlights from this week’s higher ed news, and what’s new on CC this week.

In the news:

• Some good news for Oregon colleges. Willamette University and PNCA finalized their merger this week, and PSU plans for a new Art + Design building and announced an innovative new program for LGBTQIA+ business students.

• Yale’s School of Drama goes tuition-free and gets a new name after gift a major donor

• The NCAA approved a suspension of the previous restrictions on payments made to college athletes in all divisions for things like sponsorships, endorsements and appearances.

Thinking of majoring in business, nursing, or computer science?
Check out our advice for people considering these majors, as well as our picks for best school for each of those majors.

What majors do you want to hear about? Comment below!

For students
After you’ve taken some time to rest and relax, here are a few things you can do this summer to stay on track for college, plus common mistakes to avoid when drafting your college list, and inspiration from real students who overcame struggles on the way to college.

For parents
Feeling the stress of the college process, check out 9 Actions Parents Can Take to Survive the College Admission Roller Coaster by Cynthia Muchnick and Jenn Curtis, experienced admissions professionals (and parents!) and the co-authors of newish book The Parent Compass.

For everyone
If you’re looking for something the whole family can listen to in the car, try the newest episode of Malcolm Gladwell’s podcast, Revisionist History, where he takes a fascinating look at the methodology (or the mythology?) of the US News and World Report Rankings.

And if you need a beach read or your next book club pick, try Girls With Bright Futures a fictional thriller based on the college admissions scandal, and one Real Simple’s book club pics.

Hope you all have a great 4th. Please feel free to post your thoughts, comments, or other interesting news below, or start a new thread!

1 Like