Chance a NoVA kid for VT?

I’m a rising senior in a competitive public high school in Loudoun County. VT is my top choice, and I’m going to be applying early decision. I’m planning on double majoring in geography and political science, and doing the Corps of Cadets. My stats are:

GPA: 3.82W

ACT: 29 (28 Math, 28 English, 29 Science, 31 Reading)

SAT: 1330 (700 Reading, 630 Math)

Leadership roles:

• Church youth group leader/officer
  • DECA Vice President and Manager of School Store
  • French Club Officer
  • Boys State VA Party Chairman

Awards:

• DECA Merit Award
  • 1st Place in Districts for DECA
  • DECA State Leadership Conference Top 10 test score (In my event)

ECs:

• DECA
  • Model UN
  • Debate
  • Church Youth Group
  • Science NHS and SS NHS
  • DECA Honor Society

Sports:

• Varsity crew (Year round)
  • Club swimming
  • Club fencing

Other Stuff:

• Bilingual w/ French and English
  • Attended VA Boys State 2018
  • Congressional Intern
  • Rigorous courseload
  • Doing an ISEF project as part of my ISR class this year

Do I have a good shot? And which major should I list as my intended major?

I’m from Loudoun County too. According to Naviance my school in LCPS has a average of a 3.95 GPA when applying to Tech. On VT’s website they listed their average GPA from 2017 in the 3.9 range and average SAT as a 1250. These stats probably went up in 2018, as it was a very competitive application process. However, your GPA is still in the safety range for VT. Your SAT is also above average. Your ACT converts to a higher SAT score than your 1330, so maybe try submitting that instead of your SAT. You have good leadership positions and EC’s. I wouldn’t say Tech is a safety school for you but it is a for sure a doable target school.

This link is very helpful as you can sort admissions date by both school and major at VA Tech:

https://irweb.ir.vt.edu/webtest/admission_data.aspx

It hasn’t updated yet for this fall’s incoming class where the overall acceptance rate dropped to something like 56% with corresponding increases in both average GPA and test scores. That being said, I think the admissions stats can vary quite a bit by school and major. So, don’t let that freak you out.