Chance a Pacific Islander with low GPA (competitive high school) /good SAT/extremely strong extracurriculars for T30s and Cornell ED

I am skilled musically, so that will be fine

Because Economics in the UK is taught as a rigorous mathematical subject. The US has Econ majors who do very little math, but you are advised to go well beyond the minimum requirements if you were to do a PhD in Econ. All PPE students at Oxford are taught at a level of rigor which would allow them to do a PhD in Econ if desired, and quite a few do so.

3 Likes

@prestige123 , as long as you add another FL public for an actual safety, I think your plan is fine. Cost is not an issue because your parents are able and willing to be full pay at any school you choose and are accepted into. That’s one less thing to limit your search.

You say you either want to attend a T30 or you will gladly attend a FL public. Despite your SAT, with your GPA none of the three FL Publics you listed are a guaranteed admit.
USF: AvgGPA=4.01
UF: AvgGPA=3.89
FlSt: AvgGPA=4.16
Even UNF and FAU have avg HS GPA above yours. For instance, at FAU only 17% of incoming freshmen have avg GPA below 3.75. Your 3.61 GPA is below that. Looks like you need to add one or more of the following to have a true guaranteed safety.
FAU: 3.50
USFStPete: 3.94, but 30% have below a 3.75
UWF: 3.58

I know you’re thinking your SAT and excuses will overcome your GPA and gain admittance into one of the three FL schools you listed. That’s possible, maybe even likely for 1 out of 3, but it is not guaranteed. For your best interests, you should choose one of the other FL publics just to be certain.

I think many of the suggestions in this thread would be great for you, but if you are interested only in T30s and FL publics, there’s no need to try to convince you. However, if you later change your mind and widen your scope, definitely investigate some of the nonTop30 schools suggested in this thread.

Good luck!

I see GPAs higher than 4.01. Maybe lots of these GPAs are skewed up because of being on the 4.5 scale

Maybe you’re correct, maybe you’re not. If you can’t find out for certain, you’re stuck with “maybe” and I don’t want you to feel too comfortable with maybe. Because “maybe” doesn’t make a safety. A safety is a guaranteed admit, not a maybe admit.

I’m not suggesting you drop one of the three FL publics you are targeting. I’m just suggesting you should add one or two more that are better defined as safety options. You lose nothing by doing that.

Florida Public Universities recalculate your GPA add .5 for Honors classes and 1 for college level AP IB AICE DE
Recalculate yours only using Core: Math, English, SS, Science, and Foreign Language To see where you stand as far as GPA for UF 4.4-4.6 and FSU 4.1-4.6 (25-75 percentile )

I think I got some paper that said my bright futures GPA was 4.37 or something

1 Like

Full pay and Pacific Islander will get you into at least one of them most likely.
Some of the music degrees are even more competitive than business. Therefore, I still dont think applying for a degree you know you 100% dont want because its not enough money earning potential for you is not a great strategy.

2 Likes

Affirmative action is banned in Florida and Washington. Do they unoffically affirmative action?

Some colleges actively try to increase their diversity. But no, I don’t think that being Pacific Islander will help you get accepted into a music related degree. I think EC’s and skills would do that. Colleges may view the non-profit and article as more of a stunt than a passion. If you are applying for music, what instrument/s do you play? Are you in choir or emsembles? Have you won any state awards in high school for music (ignoring the middle school stuff)? If you truly want to take a chance and apply for music, I would beef up those music EC’s.

1 Like

I think I am going to apply for the non-performance aspect of music

If you don’t want to go to school in the South, take the Florida schools and Emory off your list.

If you want a medium to large school in the north with strong name recognition, I’d suggest adding schools like the University of Wisconsin, University of Minnesota, U of Illinois, Indiana University or Purdue, U of Pittsburgh, etc. Some of those have quite a strong global rep due to their research/doctoral output (UW and Illinois especially), if prestige is a deciding factor for you. In the northeast, you might consider UMass, the SUNY system, UConn, UVM, etc.

I live in Florida, and the bright future scholarship is very good

1 Like

If you want non performance than some of the schools you listed may be off your list. I would do more research on that because some dont have non performance music degrees that dont require audtion.

I done that research and it seems that every college listed has non performance music degrees

Indeed it is. Maybe Florida is the exception then.

OP, I feel sad reading your post on many levels. I wonder if you are on the level because your responses read so craven. You are using your drive and intelligence to do things to pad your resume rather than really help people with autism, etc. It’s not enough to start a nonprofit, what did you accomplish? Ad comms are likely going to see through your resume. Doing the back door major also is such a disappointing strategy for someone with your potential. My “chance” read is that you will be coming back to CC wondering why you were shut out of all your top schools.

2 Likes

I’m not sure where you are looking at. I looked at the Floridian colleges’ websites and there is stuff like Music Therapy

I’m just talking about your aversion to hot weather and the South, not choice of major.

The in-state Florida scholarships are excellent and thus, it’s smart to keep them in play in spite of the weather.

1 Like

Where exactly are you getting the idea of me padding my resume?

I have legitimate interest in Music Therapy and Autism, and I did those things because I’m a kind person.

I have contacted with Autism centers and my volunteers are currently giving free lessons to them.