Chance a Pacific Islander with low GPA (competitive high school) /good SAT/extremely strong extracurriculars for T30s and Cornell ED

It’s on a +.5 honors, +1 AP/IB/AICE scale.
You’d need to recalculate your gpa, removing any class such as PE, weightlifting, health…
You need 4.4 for UF and 4.1 for FSU with that system in order to be competitive.

I’m not sure if my 4.37 bright futures GPA inludes non-core classes

I’m just saying be clear on the requirements to apply to music therapy or music education or whatever non performance music degree you want to try to use to get your foot in the door before you switch majors. In some cases, even music therapy may require a music supplement and interviews. So be sure you have enough real substance behind it.

1 Like

I think Music Therapy will be a good choice since lots of my extracurricular are surrounding it. I wrote a research paper surrounding Music Therapy and Autism.

1 Like

Are you currently active with your instrument? You mention your CH performance in the 7th grade, but unless I missed it, nothing about musical study/performance since.

1 Like

Yes

Great. Is this a hook for you? Are you at an All-State or above level?

I’ve never tried out for all-state, but I play at an extremely high level

Again, sorry if I missed it above, but will you be submitting a music supplement? Does “an extremely high level” mean all-state or above? Do you have awards for music performance? A hook in music would certainly strengthen your application.

It comes from your limited description that has no passion or authenticity. Then, there’s your own admission that this is all about getting into a big-name school. If your essays read like your posts you are unlikely to be successful in your college applications.

2 Likes

Yes, I mean all-state and above.

I’ve never tried out for music awards.

I’m not sure if I will be submitting a music supplement, I am applying for non-performance music majors such as Music Therapy and Music History

I don’t see anything wrong with trying to get into a big-name school, I want a good salary for a job. Also, I might move to the UK so it is important for British employers tor recognize the college.

1 Like

You don’t need to go to a top 30 school to be well paid. My husband went to a very mediocre state school (not even a Flagship) and does extremely well - in fact, he is more financially successful than all our Ivy League friends. What it takes to be successful is more than a piece of paper from a great school (though it doesn’t hurt) – you need to select a career that is well paying, have great personal traits (work ethic, ambition, really good people skills etc) and perhaps a bit of luck/timing. For example, regardless of school, most music majors will make a lot less than engineers or CS majors. Also, in terms of the UK - if you aren’t attending Harvard, Yale, Stanford or MIT (and maybe a couple of other Ivies) most UK folks aren’t going to be familiar with your school even if it is a top 30 here.

2 Likes

Your application is not just about what you want, it’s about what the schools are looking for. You seem unable to “read the room” and understand why people here have issues with your college application strategy.

2 Likes

I think some UK folks are familiar with Johns Hopkins and Cornell

I understand on the college applications, I will market what I have to contribute to the college community. I will also not be a prestige whore on the applications.

I’m a bit confused. If music is a spike for you, why aren’t you flaunting it? If you don’t have awards, even on the local level, and you don’t submit an arts supplement, there’s no way for a college to know that you are at such an advanced level. Unfortunately, there are many groups who pay to play at CH, so merely performing there—and especially as a middle schooler—isn’t enough to show your current level.

2 Likes

This cannot be an authentic post. OP created the account a day ago. Suggest we all move on.

2 Likes

I am both Pacific Islander/Asian, have an Asian sounding last name, kind of look Asian, one of my parents were born in China, and I play the piano. I am afraid I am going to be portrayed as too stereotypically Asian

I’m not sure why you think this post is not authentic. I created this account for the sole purpose of asking this question.

1 Like