Chance a rising senior with a reachy list for polysci + suggest safeties and matches?

quite rural: in the mountains, 7,000 people, about 2H30 to Richmond, 3h to DC.

1 Like

ooh yikes :grimacing: sorry to w&l but that location is a no from me. size is ok but the location… nope. and thank you for that recommendation.

7,000 is the town, not the college.
:joy: :wink:

1 Like

oh 7000 is the town. nevermind w&l is entirely off my radar ! and i’ll pm u about the second part

no problem. Some like the area. Several colleges. But if rural is a deal breaker, you need to know it’s not a college town nor close to a city.

yes, that sounds good :] i pmed you about it, sorry if that was TMI at all.

Very rural. Cute town. Why I said it doesn’t meet your needs.

It meets them academically but not your geographical desire.

mmm i see. also as @MYOS1634 said (since edited for safety reasons) it may not be such a welcoming environment for me.

1 Like

Yeah. When you talked about representing and covering underrepresented groups I got giddy but knew geographically it didn’t work.

American would fit although the $ wouldn’t. They do have the Frederick Douglas Scholars tho which is a full ride. Good luck.

ive looked into the trinity of DC schools so to speak and all 3 of them are not very sustainable financially, plus Georgetown is jesuit ? iirc which i dislike, and i’ve not heard great things about GWU. american is the only one that doesn’t have a dealbreaker but the EFC should be a sufficient dealbreaker

That’s why you look into the FDDS - it’s a full ride. GW, to me, is not the full collegiate experience.

Gtown meets need and it is jesuit - but it is not conservative and has a big jewish population so i’m guessing it could work. I’d look more and not assume.

American definitely the right one for you though in regards to your interests.

My D22 also was reluctant to consider GWU because it did not have a self-contained campus. We just toured DC schools and we both really liked it - felt very much like a campus and 4 blocks to the White House. It’s become a contender for my D —don’t rule it out if you haven’t visited. Also, ASU has a great journalism program, so you shouldn’t rule out double major. They do fantastic work, particularly on border issues.

1 Like

Interesting about GW. My daughter hated it - and we left the tour. They don’t even have dining halls. You eat in restaurants - which is odd.

She loved AU - yet, while the area is very nice, it’s - not the best infrastructure in my opinion. I just thought it met her need - it’s liberal, passionate about social issues, and strong in journalism. With the FDDS, it might be worth a try - someone is going to win!! They have 5 i think.

Everyone is different…some love GW of course…it’s just very urban. I imagine it cross shops with BU and NYU.

1 Like

im looking into the FDS, and it seems like a long shot but I’ll try for it LOL.

They are building a big beautiful dining hall in the rehabbed Thurston dorm — an amazing project. The satellite “Vern” campus also has dining halls. Lots of student dorms have their own kitchens, so many kids cook.

1 Like

visiting (physically) is not an option for me sadly :frowning: hopefully i can take some time out for a virtual tour but time is short and my application process officially starts in a few weeks (QB!). and with regards to ASU, I’ve basically taken it off my list. it’s much too expensive without merit, and i feel much more secure with U of Arizona on the list which i heard provides better aid (?)

Did you run NPC for ASU and look into their honors program?

yes, i did with the information i have (which isn’t too accurate, i admit). it came out to an 8k or 10k total cost? something between there iirc. i will run it again in the coming weeks to be sure although i still don’t have the accurate numbers right now. their honors and journalism programs look amazing though !

Yes, two very strong programs.

2 Likes

Both have great aid. U of a is better but asu may be better for you

Fill out their scholarship estimator. It takes a minute.