Chance a rural, low-income student interested in bio research for T20 and make recommendations!

Got it - so Questbridge is awesome but so is TN Promise, which gives you free tuition at UT (all campuses) if your family earns under $60,000.

This would be good in Knoxville, Martin, the new Southern campus (former Martin Methodist) - so while you might want an out of state, etc - free tuition can help your family stay afloat. That’s a nice fallback in the case Questbridge or a meets need school doesn’t pan out. You might look at the MTSU/TN Techs of the world too - but don’t believe they have a similar program.

The other option would be and it depends on your actual ACT - but a school like UAH could be $3-4K tuition…a nice midsize, not big greek nor sport. Again, just nice options to have as a fall back.

Bio is generally not considered a well paying field, with average salaries starting in the low 40s.

So keeping costs low and debt at a minimum is crucial.

Best of luck.

1 Like

Do you know your index score for the PSAT, you should be NMSF and likely finalist with a 1480 in a lowish cut off state. Definitely worth looking at the lists of schools that give full rides and even extra money beyond full rides for NMF.

1 Like

This list is categorized based on my very fallible sense of what might be your chances of acceptance. My primary consideration here was cost, trying to get a net price into an attainable range. For any school you are considering, you will want to run its school-specific Net Price Calculator to confirm that the school will be affordable. Also, you want to make sure you have at least one or two schools on your list where you are extremely likely to be accepted, that it would be affordable for you and your family, and that you would be happy to attend.

Extremely Likely (80-99+%)

• Agnes Scott (GA): Women’s college. $10,428 up to $30k; $10,983 up to $48k; $11,838 up to $75k
  • Drew (NJ): $8942 up to $30k; $9717 up to $48k; $13,634 up to $75k
  • Georgetown C. (KY): $9144 up to $30k; $11,413 up to $48k; $13,799 up to $75k
  • Goucher (MD): $11,523 up to $30k; $11,642 up to $48k; $17,193 up to $75k
  • Oglethorpe (GA): $11,436 up to $30k; $10,701 up to $48k; $13,374 up to $75k
  • U. of Evansville (IN): $11,037 up to $30k; $16,117 up to $48k; $21,661 up to $75k

Likely (60-79%)

• Furman (SC): $9,934 up to $30k; $18,331 up to $48k; $20,59 up to $75k
  • Hendrix (AR): $4,004 up to $30k; $7103 up to $48k; $10,343 up to $75k
  • Washington (MD): $3,144 up to $30k; $10,055 up to $48k; $11,022 up to $75k

Toss-Up (40-59%)

• Berea (KY): This is a work-college. $3447 up to $30k; $1902 up to $48k; $4414 up to $75k
  • Mt. Holyoke (MA): Women’s college. $7687 up to $30k; $11,140 up to $48k; $12,235 up to $75k
  • Union (NY): $10,627 up to $30k; $17,999 up to $48k; $20,694 up to $75k

Lower Probability (20-39%)…most of these are probably on the less likely end of this range

• Davidson (NC): $7163 up to $30k; $5442 up to $48k; $11,806 up to $75k
  • Skidmore (NY): $11,889 up to $30k; $13,382 up to $48k; $17,195 up to $75k
  • Smith (MA): Women’s college. $11,678 up to $30k; $16,389 up to $48k; $18,903 up to $75k
  • Trinity (TX): $8643 up to $30k; $9090 up to $48k; $9644 up to $75k
  • Vassar (NY): $10,697 up to $30k; $14,383 up to $48k; $23,695 up to $75k
  • Wake Forest (NC): $7527 up to $30k; $8,337 up to $48k; $10,029 up to $75k
  • Washington & Lee: $769 up to $30k; $743 up to $48k; $4,132 up to $75k
  • Wesleyan (CT): $4,449 up to $30k; $4,800 up to $48k; $10,298 up to $75k

Low Probability (less than 20%). Schools in this category needed to have a price below $5k for me to include them, unless I already researched them (ahem, Tufts).

• Amherst (MA): $4,625 up to $30k; $5,328 up to $48k; $7077 up to $75k
  • Brown (RI): $4849 up to $30k; $5870 up to $48k; $8446 up to $75k
  • Columbia (NY): no cost up to $75k
  • Cornell (NY): $1,862 up to $30k; $1953 up to $48k; $4,035 up to $75k
  • Duke (NC): $2945 up to $30k; $4301 up to $48k; $10,304 up to $75k
  • Georgetown U. (D.C.): up to $30k; up to $48k; up to $75k
  • Harvard (MA): $1754 up to $30k; free up to $48k; $538 up to $75k
  • Johns Hopkins (MD): free up to $48k; $3586 up to $75k
  • Rice (TX): $5578 up to $30k; $5959 up to $48k; $6320 up to $75k
  • Tufts (MA): $8299 up to $30k; $8970 up to $48k; $15,050 up to $75k
  • U. of Chicago (IL): $2,993 up to $30k; $3,316 up to $48k; $7,432 up to $75k
  • Williams (MA): $718 up to $30k; $360 up to $48k; $1,312 up to $75k
  • Yale (CT): $1717 up to $30k; $5177 up to $48k; $3957 up to $75k

Colleges whose net prices were more in the $12-$14k category that might be additional possibilities include:

• Beloit (WI)
  • Centre (KY)
  • College of Wooster (OH)
  • DePauw (IN)
  • Lawrence (WI)
  • McDaniel (MD)
  • Saint Mary’s (IN): Women’s college
  • Simmons (MA): Women’s college
  • St. Lawrence (NY)
  • U. of Dallas (TX)

Although you want to leave your state, you should still apply to some in-state schools. Is there a public college that is in commuting distance from you? If so, that would probably be a safety, if you would be happy to attend. Also, there are community college options available. Or you may look and see if some colleges (like Vanderbilt) have scholarships for in-state students.

This list has focused on private schools, as most publics do not meet need for applicants and others on this board may be better able to highlight those for you. Also, if you’re interested in the health field, check out U. of Alabama at Birmingham. It’s a residential campus, but much smaller than “Alabama” and is well known for its healthcare programs. Alabama publics are also usually very generous with merit aid.

4 Likes

Washington college in Maryland has a great Biology program. The professors are amazing and there is a lot of field work. The campus is on a river, so appropriate classes sometimes go on boats, wear waders and go in the water, and also has a field campus. the science department is very strong so there is the ability to change majors or double major as you learn more about the sciences available. Undergrads get to be TAs and do research with professors. They also can get research $ through the Cater Society to do their own research (including covering travel costs to do research elsewhere). If you get a summer internship, you can apply through the college to get money for gas, living arrangements, and attire. They give incredible merit and the app is free. It is definitely worth applying to see how much money you might get!

1 Like

Wesleyan (CT): $4,400 up to $30k; $4,800 up to $48k; $10,298 up to $75k

Wesleyan is the only small New England college with PhD programs that cover the Life Sciences (Biology, Chemistry, BioChem-Microbiology. You are unlikely to run out of advanced courses there.) And it has the highest or one of the highest rates of tax-supported, government funded research (NSF, NIH, etc.) of any college or university its size.

2 Likes

If admitted, Colby would be free for you. It is $0 for any student with parents making less than $65K. Of course, it is a tough admit and the size (small) and location (mid Maine) is not for everyone - just throwing out the financial aspect. There are some other schools (though, not too many) that may have similar programs.

2 Likes

The University of Rochester can be terrific with need based aid and is focused on undergrad research (it’s their culture) so would likely be a “fit” for you, but no one can guarantee you’d get enough aid. I’d try an app though, also because they tend to like Geographical Diversity and TN could be an asset.

I’m glad to hear you’re going to apply for Questbridge. I think you’re a terrific candidate for that program.

2 Likes

I want to add, don’t discount your state/public universities. You just might like them better and you may get great aid and merit.
My rural, high (perfect) stat, very strong activities and music awards, high income kid applied to all top tier schools and was waitlisted at them all. The only non-Ivy he applied to was Georgetown and he was waitlisted there and CMU (local) which he was accepted with zero merit. He did get into a VA pubic university but with no merit. They aggressively pursued him. He did not cast his net very wide to many T20 schools.
But in the end, the best merit offer came from our local public university (Pitt) in which he will graduate summa cum laude this spring with a double degree (neurosciece/philosophy), a chem minor and a certificate. (bioethics)
We did have a couple of Questbridge awardees at his high school though, so that is a good option if you think you will like to attend those schools that participate.
So I guess my summary is, a rich kid from a rural high school with perfect stats didn’t get into the schools he wanted but ended up with a sweet offer from his public university.
Good luck and keep up the great work!

1 Like

You are a great candidate. My suggestion would be to focus on Questbridge as many have suggested and really focus on good matches beyond T20 etc. Bio research can be fun and lucrative but it is a long, hard road that is very competitive. Also remember that Bio is one of the most sought after majors. So, you will compete against many strong candidates.

Sounds like you’re EFC0 or nearly, so you’d need 100% aid at “meet need” colleges or a full ride at merit-based colleges.
As a result, specific private universities (100% meet need) may end up cheaper than even your instate public university.

Look into all possible majors: bio is one of the least employable majors yet one of the most competitive ones to get into. To get a job doing research, you’ll need a PHD; at the undergrad level, biostats or bioinformatics would be a must if you plan to work after college and start grad school after earning some money.
Try to think of all the aspects of bio that you love and what you could combine it with.
If the university you’re applying to has a “whole college” approach it may be better - you could apply for Biochemistry, for instance.
Anything can be enhanced with some CS classes if need be.
For undergraduate research you have three possibilities: LACs (professors are hired for their ability to include undergrads in their research) such as Davidson, Vassar, Colby, for instance; Honors colleges at public universities, as would be possible at UTennessee and strong flagships that offer financial aid as well as merit aid, Honors students typically get the best opportunities, some of which are only open to them; 100% meet need research universities where you’re sure to be strong enough to be able to distinguish yourself and stand out (you’ll be competing with über prepared classmates and grad students).
For Questbridge, make sure to include LACs: your odds are probably better there.
In terms of academic strength, can you check that by the itme you graduate, you will have

• 4 years of English (Language/lit), mostly Honors/AP
  • Math through Precalculus or Calculus
  • Bio, Chem, Physics + 1 more (hopefully at the AP or DE level if available)
  • Foreign language through level HS level 4 or AP (3 at a bare minimum)
  • Social Science including US and non US (World, European) history and 2 others (Economics, Government, Geography…)
  • other classes reflecting your intellectual curiosity and your personal interests
    If some of this is missing, will your school profile establish that it is due to your school not offering these classes? And will your GC be willing to write that out clearly?
2 Likes

Yes, and Berea is also free.

Here are a couple more:

2 Likes

Thank you so much to everyone for taking the time to give such thoughtful suggestions!

I really appreciate people sharing about the different opportunities available at so many different types of universities. I wasn’t aware that some of the LACs might actually have more of the opportunities that I am seeking. I’ll definitely look at the smaller schools and the schools that offer undergrad research!

I also really appreciate the advice about paying for college. I should be an NMSF and definitely plan to apply to UAH and other schools that offer generous aid for NMSFs. I have a new appreciation for how differently schools calculate “need” and will be using the NPC before applying. I want to go to grad school, too, and I don’t think I could afford some of the schools that expect even very low income students to contribute over $10,000 a year.

I am taking the most rigorous classes my school offers, and our teachers and GC are extremely supportive. I think the GC will gladly note that our school only offers two years of foreign language.

You all have been tremendously helpful. Thank you so much!

6 Likes

If the other parent is alive, be aware that many* “top 20” colleges will based financial aid on both parents’ financial information, unless you apply for a waiver and the college gives the waiver.

Therefore, for those colleges you need both parents to be cooperative, and when you use net price calculators, you need to include both parents’ financial information.

*Basically all except Chicago and Vanderbilt.

2 Likes

I think between Quest Bridge, UT Promise as a back up and then if you get NMF - it’s the golden ticket. Here’s one example - U of Tulsa, a fine school as well as a list of many others. So if you do get that it can take a lot of pressure off. Even if Qbridge didn’t happen you’d still have great opportunities. Note on the 2nd link there is 4 pages and some will show full Cost of attendance. Validate that the info is accurate with the school’s website. Best of luck.

https://utulsa.edu/financial-aid/scholarships/nmsf/

1 Like

Also, be aware that since your family makes less than 65K a year, your guidance counselor can check a box in CommonApp and in CoalitionApp indicating that and that waives your application fee automatically.
Not all universities/colleges are on both App systems so you may want to look that what overlaps and what doesn’t, when applying through either system.

Running the NPC is very important. You’ll quickly see that colleges all calculate differently so you need to run it on each college. It’s tedious but after a while it goes fast bc you know all the numbers by heart!

Something really tough: if one of your parents is deceased, you may need to show proof; if one of your parents hasn’t been in contact for 5+ years (or has never been around), you’ll need a note from your GC or a doctor or religious leader indicating this. If your other parent has been in touch regularly and/or has paid child support, their income will be considered when calculating your college need, even if they don’t want to contribute (it’s an especially big problem if the absent parent makes 300K while the parent you live with makes 50K and the absent parent won’t contribute a dime toward college, which is alas not infrequent). As mentioned upthread, only Vanderbilt and UChicago have a general exemption for the non custodial parent, other universities use a case-by-case basis.

Colleges like Whitman or Grinnell may be of interest since you’re used to rural life and they’re relatively rural. (I know you may be interested in big cities but as a low income student, self enclosed campuses away from cities are probably a better bet: they’ll offer TONS of free or low cost activities to their students, whereas colleges in cities just expect students to go out into town and… pay for their entertainment. So, free movie v. $14-20 for a movie ticket… it adds up quickly. In addition, it helps you not be apart from your friends.
The best system for impecunious kids who want to live in cities is to find paid internships in cities; top universities, whether LACs or top privates, have funds that would help you pay your rent there, you’d get a modest salary for your living costs, and then you’d really be able to enjoy the city: summer options+no classes+money would make living in the city much better than living there during the semester when you can’t enjoy because you have less free time and can’t afford it.)

4 Likes

I think you have a good shot at finding an out of state school that would be affordable but also just wanted to encourage you to also apply to in state options, as well. I would look at UTK, University of Memphis, and MTSU–the first two are R1 institutions, and MTSU is R2 but highly focused on undergraduate research opportunities. I personally would not recommend TN Tech for bio because their biology department has had some upheaval and turnover in recent years, but the other three schools mentioned have good, solid reputations for undergraduate biology programs (especially for honors students) and good placement results in grad programs. At minimum, I would apply to UTK and for the Buchanan Fellowship at MTSU. Make sure you complete the requirements for the Hope/lottery scholarship, too so you have that available as a back-up if you do stay in-state.

2 Likes

I’d ditch the rankings. It’s the single most useless metric for finding a college. The first thing I would do is find out what your parents can afford. Then run the net-price calculator for all the schools you’re interested in. Worse than getting rejected…is having a stack of acceptances to schools you can’t afford and having to start at community college. :slightly_frowning_face:

Make sure you have at least 2-3 good affordable in-state schools you would seriously go to. After that, then you can reach for the stars. But just because you CAN go to a prestigious school, doesn’t mean you SHOULD. Prestige is actually just an irrational emotion, and it actually blinds people to things that could otherwise make the school a poor choice. Students have gone into hundreds of thousands in debt for the sake of prestige, and end-up financially crippled.

Here is the reality as a bio major: You will need a PhD and many years (5 avg) before you get a real job. So, you will be in your mid 30s before making good money and good money is about $100K as an Asst. Prof at an R1 school for 9 months. In the meantime, grad students get about $30K/year if they are lucky enough to get into a PhD program (top tier) through a fellowship and if not, between $20-30K as a research assistant for 5 years. Post-doc salaries right now are $48-60K. Minimum to no benefits.
Industry can be more lucrative but not as much any more and it is mostly back loaded – stock, bonus etc.
What I am trying to tell you is find the right school from where you can graduate with no debt or as little debt as possible. The brand/ranking is not as important as your research chops and facilities. It is better to go to Texas Tech on a huge scholarship than say a T20 LAC and taking on $80K in debt upon graduation. I can assure you top programs won’t hold it against you.
The upside is that if you make it (and that’s a huge if), NIH salary cap is over $200K right now. Most make about $250K between gigs, salary, consulting etc. Plus, certain other perks.

1 Like

OP- you sound like a fantastic student and any college would be lucky to have you.

I’d encourage you NOT to fixate on Bio research per se.

Why? Research is morphing (quickly) into a highly interdisciplinary activity. I interviewed a guy recently who was part of a team developing medical “wearables”-- a garment or a doo-hickey you put on your body, the research is looking into applications for weight loss, severe depression, back pain, sleep apnea, cardiac irregularities, chronic nausea during chemotherapy, etc. It’s a really exciting field! I asked him who the most valuable members of the team are… and he surprised me- it’s the researchers with the psych background (he’s a math guy who develops algorithms, there’s also a team of computer scientists, materials scientists, MD’s, engineers, etc.)

He pointed out that there is abundant research showing that most people do not take their medications as prescribed (under, over, intermittently, not with food if that’s required, at night not in the morning, etc.) So before they can test to see if the wearables will work- they need research on how to get patients into compliance. These won’t be pills costing 50 cents a pop-- these will be devices which cost tens of thousands of dollars. So compliance is the most important factor in their use/testing/retooling.

I found that fascinating… but not surprising when you think about it.

But my point- you can major in chemistry and STILL get involved in cutting edge bio research. You can major in computer science and STILL get involved in cutting edge bio research. Or you can major in bio and get involved in cutting edge research on a wide range of topics!!!

Agree with 1dad… find a college where you can graduate with no debt. Find a college which has strong faculty/facilities in the sciences (any or all) and where you can get home when you need to without breaking the bank.

You’re gonna do great things!!!

1 Like

You might consider Washington and Lee. It is strong in finance, and there are a lot of research opportunities. It’s also a very generous school, looking for leadership and diversity.

Understanding your goal is finance, I would weave the story of finance and plant biology into your application. I think you have a decent chance at excellent schools because you are a little bit of an out of the box candidate, which in my opinion makes a difference.