Chance me for top schools as a rural kid [AL resident, 4.0/33 for Molecular Biology, Psychology, Neuroscience]

Demographics

• State/Location of residency: * Rural Alabama
  • Type of high school *: Small Public, class size is 159. Rural: Distant classification. Title 1
  • Gender/Race/Ethnicity *: Transgender Male, African American
  • Other special factors *: First Generation, Low Income, Asperger’s, Adopted,

Intended Major(s)
Molecular Biology, Psychology, Neuroscience

GPA, Rank, and Test Scores

• Unweighted HS GPA *: 4.0
  • Weighted HS GPA *: +.5 Advanced, Non-Core Dual Enrollment. +1.0 AP, Core Dual Enrollment. 4.38
  • Class Rank *: 4/159
  • ACT Scores *: 33 Composite, 35 English, 27 Math, 36 Reading, 34 Science. If I cannot raise math to a 30+, I’ll go test optional

Coursework
7 Advanced Courses, 10 Dual Enrollment Courses.

School only has 4 APs. School does not have any AP science other than environmental and has no AP math. School does not offer precalculus or calculus so I am taking precalculus through my local university and trying to find a way to take calculus with a nearby school. School only has spanish and only has 2 classes, they are not weighted so I have not taken any foreign language. I intend on taking as many spanish classes as possible in college.

Awards

3rd @ HOSA State Competition (Behavioral Health) - Advanced to Internationals | 11th

National African American Recognition Scholar | 12th

National Rural & Small Town Recognition Scholar | 12th

Top 10% Weighted GPA of Graduating Class | 9th

Top 5% Weighted GPA of Graduating Class | 11th

Basic Life Support Certified | 11th

Highest English ACT (XX HS) | 11th

Top 3 Reading ACT (XX HS) | 11th

Extracurriculars
Non Profit | 12 Hours | 48 Weeks
Alabama State President
Facilitate tutoring & translation for immigrant & low income students; Manage volunteers; Aid in development of AUA across 24 states & 5 countries

Prism - Gender-Sexuality Association | 8 Hours | 48 Weeks
County President
Orchestrate lessons, meetings, and trips; Collaborate to promote inclusivity; Mentor LGBTQ teenagers; Create a non-hostile school environment

HudsonAlpha Institute of Biotechnology Laboratory Intern | 18 Hours | 52 Weeks
Investigate Antibiotic-Susceptibility; Organize/prepare laboratory materials; Aid in data tracking & accelerating UTI and wound infection detection

HOSA - Future Health Professionals | 12 Hours | 48 Weeks
Class & Club Participant
Volunteer at local medical facilities; Advance & pursue medical knowledge; Educate the public on healthcare; Study patient care & professionalism

STEM/Healthcare Programs | 10 Hours | 10 Weeks
Professor’s Aid & Participant
Guided students & aided professors in STEM lessons; Studied DNA analysis, gel electrophoresis, and laboratory safety; Promoted youth STEM education

High School Student Ambassadors | 2 Hours | 44 Weeks
Collaborate with school administrators; Aid in organizing school functions; Direct & inform function participants; Perform community service

Senior Beta Club | 2 Hours | 44 Weeks
Volunteer within our local hospital & residential facilities; Aid in managing toy drives & canned food drives; Assist with hot meal delivery in winter

Student Government Association | 2 Hours | 44 Weeks
Advise administrators on student body issues; Manage fundraisers for homeless/low income families; Communicate with staff to improve student outcomes

Biology Self-Study | 10 Hours | 52 Weeks
Read numerous undergraduate biology textbooks; Perform antiseptic tests; Study molecular & micro- biology to aid in GeneCapture research

Essays/LORs/Other

Advanced US History: Did great in his class. 100 first semester, 98 second. He knows me quite personally. Someone last year who got into Hopkins had him write their letter and given what I’ve seen I’d say his recommendation definitely contributed.

Advanced Chemistry: Did great in her class as well. 97 first semester, 98 second. She runs Beta Club and when I asked if she thinks I’d do well in college chemistry she said “People like you would have done well in college chemistry even without this class”, so I believe she likes me. I also walked in on her speaking with all the science teachers about my national recognition award.

Chief Scientist/Senior Lab Manager: This is an optional LOR. I might get one of the two senior lab managers or the chief scientist of the company I work for to write a letter for me.

Essay theme ties into equality/equity and overcoming adversity

Schools

• Safety *
    Auburn University (EA)

• Target *

Brandeis University (Common App RD)
Syracuse University (Common App RD)
University of Rochester (Common App RD)

• Reach *

Boston University (QuestBridge RD)
Brown University (QuestBridge RD)
Columbia University (QuestBridge RD)
Cornell University? (QuestBridge RD)
Dartmouth College? (QuestBridge RD)
Harvard University (REA)
Johns Hopkins University (QuestBridge RD)
Princeton University (QuestBridge RD)
University of Chicago (QuestBridge RD)
University of Pennsylvania (QuestBridge RD)
Yale University (QuestBridge RD)

Paging @AustenNut for this thread :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So you are low income - why isn’t Bama on your list ? 4 years tuition, a year of housing and an annual stipend.

Unless I’m missing something, Auburn doesn’t come close.

If you are QB, money likely matters.

If you are QB income level, why all RD ? If it’s the Harvard REA, I wouldn’t do it and I’d max out your QB slots if it’s not too late. Not sure if that can be changed after the deadline.

For your targets, Syracuse doesn’t promise to meet need.

If you get in only at Auburn, can you afford it ? That’s why I’d put in at Bama. Unless I’m missing something it will be much less.

You are very impressive. I hope you land one on QB but not sure how the RD strategy will work out.

Good luck.

1 Like

Based on your academic interests, as well as on your own academic profile, you might benefit from considering Wesleyan University.

2 Likes

I need to leave Alabama because it is not LGBTQ friendly, so staying here is not an option for me. Auburn would be full tuition and my pell grant would cover room and board. As for QB, I don’t want to be bound anywhere since I cannot visit every school, so I intend on applying and then visiting before committing somewhere.

5 Likes

You will have a good outcome with Questbridge I think! You have a great resume and rural/low income with questbridge will help. Submit the scores even if you don’t get the math up: your other subscores are great!

4 Likes

I’m not a QB expert but I believe you can apply up to 15 schools ED.

I get it a lot not seeing and normally I’d agree but when you are seeking and needing a full ride, I think that’s the trade off - especially if it may lead to a match vs not. You take your best chance in other words. You want out of Alabama so I maybe would have done things differently. I don’t know if it’s too late to change.

That said and it’s just one metric but Campus Pride Index lists Bana at 4.5 of 5. And there are several parents here who rave about their LGBTQ kids there. I get the state laws - I live in TN - but that doesn’t necessarily tie to a school’s experience - and a lot of the laws are limiting to kids but not adults. Obviously, you have to make the best decision for you but sometimes people make decisions based on perception and not reality. Auburn is not rated but I want to say last year is was a 2.5. Low. Of course it’s only as good as the criteria used.

Brandeis - I don’t see a rating

Syracuse - 4 star

Rochester - 5 star

BU not rated

Brown - not rated

Columbia - not r

Cornell - 4.5 - same as Bama

Dartmouth - not rated

Harvard 4.5 star - same as Bama

JHU - not rated

Princeton - not rated

Chicago - not rated

Penn - 5 stars

Yale - not rated

Again, my main concern is your finances - if you get in nowhere.

So you said Auburn is a full ride, but you might really look at both schools and speak to folks from the LGBTQ groups on campus - because it is very possible a public in Alabama will be your only option.

I don’t know that the Campus Pride Index should be a decider - but it is what tool to use. And they no longer rate Auburn - but did.

Specifically, they give Bama:

4.5 for Sexual Orientation
4.5 gender Identity/expression

Then there are sub scores -

LGBTQ Policy inclusion 4.5
LGBTQ Support and Institutional Inclusion 4.5
LGBTQ Academic Life 4.5
LGBTQ Student Life 4.5
LGBTQ Housing 3.5
LGBTQ Campus Safety 5
LGBTQ Counseling and Health 4.5
LGBTQ Recruitment and Retention Efforts 5

Best of luck

Good luck.

1 Like

My concern - and I don’t know the answer is - is applying RD instead of ED going to lessen the chances?

That’s really my concern but even if valid, it might be too late for OP to change if they wanted to.

I totally get applying ED without knowing a campus - but when you’re lined up for a full ride, sometimes you have to take that chance (using virtual tours and chats with student ambassadors as an effort to make a best guess).

OP is trying to leave Alabama - and if RD puts them at a disadvantage - and again, I don’t know the answer but it would at most in regular admissions - then applying that way might put them back in the state they don’t want to be.

1 Like

I think this type of candidate with rural/low income plus a great resume will do very well in RD and have options. I am not as familiar with the ins and outs of QB though.

5 Likes

I don’t believe that OP was referring to Alabama the college, but was referring to Alabama, the state. In the state of Alabama, healthcare professionals will soon be banned from providing healthcare to trans youth for the treatment of gender dysphoria.

8 Likes

Have you looked at Cognitive Science as a possible major?

I understand - and I noted that there are often restrictions for kids - but OP will be an adult.

As I noted, restrictions, etc. are different to different people. There are folks on this board who speak of wonderful experiences at Bama. I don’t recall reading that at Auburn but I may just not have been paying attention. It may not matter to OP and that’s ok - it’s their decision.

That’s why I was concerned with all the RD apps - that if they backfire, the student is stuck home.

As we all know, many schools give you a huge advantage ED. What I don’t know is - does that work the same in QB?

The OP is an Alabama resident. I would give him some credit for knowing his home state a little better than some of the parents on this board. I would second his viability for Wesleyan University even outside of QB; molecular biology/biochemistry is only one of its strengths and there are tremendous overlaps with Brown on many levels. And not to put too fine a point on it, he is one of the strongest candidates I’ve come across on this board all year.

7 Likes

OP for your awareness the Pride Index is measured based on the schools self reporting of LGBTQ policies and resources. Certainly worth considering but doesn’t incorporate the actual experience of LGBTQ students on campus.

Princeton Review is a survey of students actual experiences. Note Wesleyan is ranked highly on “most friendly” while Auburn and Alabama are both on “unfriendly”.

Most importantly I would trust your own experiences as an Alabama native. Good luck

4 Likes

Add me to the group who thinks you have a very strong Questbridge application. I will certainly hope for a positive outcome from the QB match…which of course, isn’t guaranteed…but :crossed_fingers:t2::crossed_fingers:t2::crossed_fingers:t2:

As long as you are happy with your choice of a safety school, really, that’s all that matters.

Would you like some suggestions about possible schools outside of Alabama to add in the event you need one more? If so…let us know…and folks here will be helpful.

8 Likes

Syracuse doesn’t promise to meet need, but they do give out some full tuition merit scholarships. I’d think OP would be an excellent candidate.

I agree with others that OP has a great chance for a QB match, and only needs to make sure he has at least one true safety. Ideally in a state and campus where he feels safe.

In the event that OP decides he wants to major in something more toward the bio side than the psych side, I’d like to mention that he doesn’t need to confine himself to schools that offer majors in “molecular biology” or “neuroscience”. He can major in biology or biochemistry. There is considerable overlap in the curricula between all these majors, and you have the opportunity to take mostly the same classes no matter what the major is called. He’ll have plenty of molecular classes as requirements and electives. He can also take neuro-flavored electives to complement a biology or biochemistry major. This sort of scenario will be possible at pretty much any school OP is considering.

Good luck!

2 Likes

I think everyone has missed what I said - I was concerned with the one safety chosen vs. perhaps the other available in the same state which at least according to College Pride Index and parents/students who post on here - might be better - in the case it has to be used. You all seem to think it won’t need to be used.

I hope I’m wrong on QB but I like to be prepared for the worst possible scenario. I know the student’s profile is wonderful - it was the RD vs. ED that concerned me.

There was a student the other day that stated they had a full ride to Pitt - they were of Sri Lankan heritage I think and from Colorado.

I wonder if that’s another to add.

It’s in message 5 on this chain.

Chance me! Appling as astrophysics major through QuestBridge - Chance Me / Match Me! - College Confidential Forums

Like others, I’m optimistic that OP will get into one or more schools that are located outside of Alabama. I understand @tsbna44’s point, however, about the importance of choosing one’s safety school(s) wisely is important, particularly if that’s where one ends up. Although I think it’s quite unlikely, I’d hate for OP to only have one affordable option in the spring.

I am not familiar enough with the campuses, but I’d suspect that U. of Alabama-Tuscaloosa might be a more favorable environment for a black trans male than Auburn, but I don’t know. In selecting a safety, I’d take a good look at UA-Birmingham, assuming you’d get a similar financial package as at Tuscaloosa or Auburn.

I understand the desire to get out of the deep south, however. One possible safety to consider would be Delaware State, which has about 5k undergrads. It appears that you would qualify for the Presidential Scholarship, which would give you a full ride. It is ranked as the third-best HBCU in terms of support for LGBTQ+ students, but the methodology is inclusive of Campus Pride metrics, which focuses on steps that the administration reports taking and not as much on what students report. But as a safety option, it’s one you might like to have in your back pocket.

1 Like

Check whether colleges on your list require a foreign language for admission. If they do, see if taking it at a local college can get to the needed level (college courses cover more material per semester).

3 Likes

Another thing to consider is that both policies and social acceptance can vary for different letters of LGBTQ. Political hostility that results in problematic state laws currently appears to be targeting T more than LGB.

6 Likes