Chance an Asian for Cornell Info Sci CoE

Demographics: Female, Indian, US domestic, public all-IB school, no hooks

Intended Major(s): Information Science, Systems, and Technology

ACT/SAT/SAT II: 1570 (800 M, 770 E)

UW/W GPA and Rank: UW: 4.0, W: 4.32, no ranking but approximately top 5%

Coursework:
I attend an entirely IB-curriculum school. I am taking the highest level of math offered (there are no CS courses available currently).

Senior Year Courseload: IB HL Mathematics, IB Physics, IB Economics, IB French, IB Literature, IB History, Orchestra

I have also taken external classes at Stanford Online High School since tenth grade throughout the school year. I took Introduction to C++ first and the second semester (both A’s) in my sophomore year. In junior year I took Multivariable Differential Calculus (A) first semester and Multivariable Integral Calculus second semester (B+). I took Discrete Mathematics first semester of senior year (A-).
I self-studied for the AP Psychology exam in my sophomore year and received a 5.

Awards:
Web Design Competition Winner: Spent ~3 months designing a website using HTML/CSS/JS and competed with girls across the state. Won first place along with 1000 dollars and a Comerica internship (couldn’t attend because of age).
Interscholastic Forensics Association State Competition Winner in Broadcasting: Won first place at the state level.
National Merit Finalist
Presidential Scholar Nominee
National Council for Women in Technology Affiliate Award
National Economics Challenge State Finalist

Extracurriculars:
Independent Researcher in Computer Music Education: I conducted research on MIDI software in classrooms and presented a sole-author paper at the London International Conference on Education. It has been published in the Journal for Infonomics, which has an impact factor of 5.201.
Assistant Researcher to a CMU SCS Professor: I worked with a professor’s research team at Carnegie Mellon’s School of Computer Science to develop an audiovisual application. I re-designed user interfaces for improved functionality and debugged extensive React and Javascript code.
Co-Founder and President of ActiKids: I created, designed, and distributed 2000+ STEM activity booklets to 12+ schools and libraries throughout Midwest for free and raised $3000+ from donors.
Software Engineering Intern at MorphBots, an Educational Technology Company: I created a robotics curriculum, built interactive coding projects for students using Arduino hardware, and programmed demos of robots for investors in C#.
Web Development Lead at Cook and Culture: I designed and coded 15+ web pages, reduced site loading by 70% time using HTML, CSS, and Javascript, and led UX design and frontend dev teams with 10+ interns.
Lieutenant Governor for District Four for State Key Club: I managed communications with 6+ Key Clubs, organized state rallies for 500+ members, hosted 5+ service events, and collaborated with 3 planning committees.
Captain of Forensics Team: I placed top 5 in 20+ public speaking tournaments, mentored 50+ members, organized and led club fairs, fundraisers & recruitment, and assisted coaches in leading meetings
Assistant Instructor at a Dojo: I achieved my second-degree Kukiwon-certified black belt in Taekwondo, taught 200+ students foundational martial arts, and assisted in running tournaments.
President of French Club/French Honors Society: I planned and led club meetings, hosted study events and field trips, raised $200+ through bake sales for classroom supplies, and tutored beginner students.
Violinist: I received first division in State Solo & Ensemble, participated in a youth orchestra and my school’s Full Orchestra, and took private violin lessons.

Essays/LORs/Other:

I think my essays are pretty good. They focus on my interest in humanities and engineering, and how I would combine those fields at Cornell.

LORs:

English Teacher: 11/10, I had her my junior year and she is my forensics coach.

Math Teacher: 6/10, I had her my junior year. I think she’ll have good things to say, but nothing extraordinary.

CMU Professor: 7/10, I’ve worked with him for an extended period of time and it should be decent.

You should delete your essays from your post.

1 Like

It is literally 2 days until you know. Get off CC and go down to your dojo and get some of that anxiety out of your system.

Whether Cornell is your path or not, you will be fine. At this point, nobody here can tell you more than that.

6 Likes

Strong possibility, although stronger as ED

1 Like

— Nigel Tufnel

Best of luck to you, @akashi23. Let us know how you do.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.