Chance and/or Match Me: TN resident, 4.0 GPA, 32 ACT, <$75k; chemical engineering or nuclear or aerospace

I agree you have a reach heavy list. I am not sure Clemson is a safety for engineering with those test scores. Historically they have relied on those pretty heavily since there is no essay.

Where have you applied already? RD chances go down at many places. UVA legacy won’t help much. Hard to tell about rigor - for UVA you need to take the hardest classes offered in all categories. Have you done that? Also, UVA is out of budget for engineering, close to $90,000 a year, and not worth it in my opinion - saying this as a UVA grad:) Once all the acceptances were in and we were looking at $65,000 tuition for UVA engineering versus zero dollars for Georgia Tech that decision was clear. You may find yourself in a similar situation with UTK. Do you get free tuition there?

I understand the desire to get out of your own state. Knoxville is a great town and would be a fun place to spend four years!

1 Like

Thanks for your input. I’m only a Junior, so I haven’t applied anywhere yet. I’m trying to get all the possible information before applying next year.

I have taken the hardest possible load of courses offered at my high school and excel in all of them.

TN residents get some relief, but not free tuition.

I don’t know if it’s the same today as in 2019 - but Alabama with the $30.5K automerit off of $33K - was actually cheaper than UTK.

Crazy…but true.

Hence why so many from all over the country go. Not putting in a plug - just noting the cost issue.

I know the state has gotten more price conscious - but it might be toward two year schools.

With your stats - you’ll have lots of options at lots of price points - but engineering is competitive - and some schools - the Auburns, Clemsons, UMDs are getting more and more applicants and thus more difficult to get into.

1 Like

I am going to send you a PM.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.