Chance (another) Nervous CS Major! [FL, 3.97 UW GPA, 1590 SAT, $10k budget]

Thank you @AustenNut @DramaMama2021 again for the resources :slight_smile:

Also, ive seen some posts going around of people getting full rides to schools like Harvard. How do they do that? Is that just zero EFC?

1 Like

Yes. All need aid. Harvard does not have merit scholarships.

5 Likes

If your intended major is CS, as you state above, CMU is as competitive or more so than any of your reaches.

CMU doesn’t give much preference at all to ED. In the past, at least, the bump was minor. It may be changing to keep up with other schools, but historically it wasn’t a big advantage.

In addition, because your EFC is higher than your family’s ability to pay (and that’s the case for many families), you really can’t apply ED anywhere that the NPC returns an amount higher than your family can contribute. ED is binding and you are far less likely to get any sort of merit aid (if the school offers it) when you apply ED. At CMU, you would be on the hook for the $33K.

4 Likes

I would think UCF should be in your list. Also UTD.

5 Likes

At this point, your test scores and rigor are likely not high enough for CS at many of your reaches. I know that sounds crazy — my kids would have sold a kidney to have scores like you have — but several of those schools (MIT, CMU, probably GT, maybe others) are expecting 780+ in math. Also, I am concerned that you are only taking AP Calculus AB as a senior. CS applicants at these schools will at least take AP Calculus BC, and will often be a class or two beyond calculus in high school.

Your new SAT score may negate this concern, and being an URM might help, too, but as you know, CS is tough and if you are at a competitive high school the expectation for scores and rigor will be high.

I don’t want you to feel down about anything anyone is saying. You have an interesting story, are an URM, and have very good grades/rigor/ECs. You should be accepted at some great schools.

You are asking good questions, which is essential because you will need to be thoughtful about where you apply given your EFC vs your ability to pay.

3 Likes

I’ve thought about this. My school is very flexible when it comes to rigor, so i think it is possible I could finish HS with Calc BC if i take extra classes. As for the SAT, I really do believe the friday will be good news.

When it comes to the sheer rigor in academics for a CS program im more worried about my past bad grades. That is the one thing that might be set in stone.

Also, what does URM mean?

Under represented minority

1 Like

Thank you!

Congratulations on your achievements.

What is your PSAT index score? Looks like the projected NMSF cutoff in Florida will be 216. National Merit Semifinalist Cutoffs Class of 2024

Florida schools and schools that give significant money for NMF (dramamama listed some in post #15) will comprise the vast majority of your list because you need more than a full tuition merit award.

The meet full need schools that show and NPC of $35K+ will need to come off the list because closing the gap between the NPCs and your $10K for 4 years is difficult and unlikely to happen. I’m also not saying don’t apply for some competitive scholarships, but they are extremely time consuming and low probability (low single digits), so you have to get going on those apps and essays over the summer, along with your college apps and essays. It will be too much to do it all during first quarter/semester of senior year.

I also concur with the advice about a 5 page LoR…have your chem professor write a one pager. Are you confident they will give you a strong LoR?

3 Likes

Okay, you need to take the EFC number off of the table.

Please go to each university’s web site and go to the NET PRICE CALCULATOR (NPC) to get the real estimate of what you are close to paying at that school and what awards you may qualify to receive.
The Expected Family Contribution (EFC) can be the minimum that you will pay. It’s an estimate. Everything is changing so you will get better and more accurate with the NPC from each college that you hope to attend.

One page LOR, please. They may not read a 5 pager. They don’t have that kind of time when thousands of applications are coming in.

NMSQT index is 223. I’ll try to talk to my parents about maybe having a slightly higher budget, but what about employment? Could i not bridge that gap with a strong part time job?

Ill talk to the chem professor about the LoR. I think he was joking. I still do believe he will be a strong LoR, but is it possible for me to compare the letters? Or are they sent directly to the institution?

I think a high school teacher in a class where you got an A is a better recommendation than a college professor in a class where you got a B.

For your high reaches, a LOR will need to be special and say special things about you. There are a lot of ways to convey this kind of enthusiasm about a student. It seems more likely that a high school teacher who is accustomed to high school students and more familiar with your backstory will say superlative things.

1 Like

I did get NPC estimates. They are in the first few posts. I think #3?

Thats true, i hadnt really thought about it like that. Thanks for the advice!

The OP provided this information:

EFC for MIT: ~18k
EFC for Carnegie Mellon: ~33k
EFC for Northeastern: ~35k
EFC for UMich: ~60k

The OP’s budget is $10k so the list needs to be adjusted… many suggestions have been made.

3 Likes

There is no way to compare. You will need to sign FERPA, which basically waives your right to see the LORs. If you don’t waive that access, AOs won’t put much stock into a recommendation letter.

My kids’ guidance counselor did offer to look at their LORs and assess which she believed was best for instances when they needed less than the number of letters they had for a given school. I doubt that is a typical thing that counselors do (seasoned counselor at a small school), and you would have to really trust the GC’s assessment.

This leads me to something else…have you talked with your counselor about your chances? Does your school use Naviance or SCOIR? Your school’s success at these school may be as good of a predictor as anything we are saying here.

Great, that looks like you will be NMSF, so that means full rides (assuming you make NMF and most do) at Alabama, Tulsa, UT Dallas, and a few others linked above. These schools are very good for CS.

You can talk with your parents, but it seems your gap at the meet full need schools is a minimum of $25K per year. During the school year you will likely be able to work only 10-12 hours per week to have the best chance of achieving high grades, so assuming a $15/hour wage that is $150 per week or so less taxes (get a job at school where you can study, like checking people in at the library or dorm or gym, rather than working in the cafeteria, to take one example).

You may be able to make $6K-$8K before taxes in the first two summers of college, but again that doesn’t close your gap enough. You can also take out the $27K in student loans over the 4 years of college (starting $5.5K first year, and increasing a bit from there), but your parents should NOT take on any debt, at all. Especially when you have full ride options.

ETA: Again I’m not saying don’t try for some scholarships like Stamps and what have you, but again, you can’t count on that and have to have affordable options that you can count on.

3 Likes

The calculated amount the college expects you to pay is what the college expects your family to pay. There are many families with higher family contribution calculations who can’t or won’t be able to pay that much.

Financial aid offices have guidelines they need to adhere to.

Having said all that…for need based aid, there are some wealthier colleges who will look at offers from peer schools. BUT you have stated that the more selective schools on your list expect about the same family contribution….and it’s not at your family price point.

I’m a little unclear. Did your PSAT score put you in range to become a national merit finalist? If so, that opens the doors for some significant merit awards that you need to consider.

You will need to scroll down for the Benequisto scholarship…but as an instate resident…it’s still a great one.

2 Likes

I can definitely have my counselor look over my LoRs. Our school is extremely small (think about 300 people) and the counselor is extremely dedicated, so it shouldnt be too much of a problem.

My school does use SCOIR, although i wasnt aware there was any purpose to it other than just organizing schools and applying to the few schools that accept SCOIR apps.

1 Like

So, include NSF full-ride schools as a sort of “financial safety” but still try for the other reaches even though im not sure about the financial aspect?

3 Likes