Chance/match Asian female (Bay Area) into Cognitive Science! [3.93, 1500]

• Location/Region: asian female from bay area, mid-large sized decently competitive school, mid-high income household, no legacy

fortunately, no problems with cost constraint

• Major: primarily cognitive science

• GPA/Test Scores: 3.93UW / 4.44W (end of junior year), school doesnt do rank but I think I’m in the top 5%
    AP Chem (5), AP Calc BC (5), AP Bio (4), AP Lang (5), AP CSP (4), AP Chinese (5)
    Currently 1500 SAT with limited studying, looking to retake soon.

• Coursework: All the APs listed above + a couple honors classes + normal classes for graduation requirements, and AP Microeconomics (just took this over this summer)

• Senior year course load just finished AP micro so no more econ woohoo
    AP Lit, AP Computer Science A, AP Stats, AP Physics 2, AP Government, Chamber Orchestra

My ecs:

• 2 pretty prestigious research projects (related to my intended major), one with a well known uni and the other with a well known company, can probably get letter of recs from these well known people
  • varsity xc/track, team captain for xc
  • volunteer at a large hospital
  • manager at a pretty big nonprofit 3,000+ volunteers
  • instrument volunteer group that plays at different retirement homes
  • lots of peer tutoring
  • teach violin to underprivileged kids for free in a small organization with my teacher
  • president of esports club and vice president of a girls in stem club as well, part of nhs and csf (basic stuff)
    +some more misc extracurriculars that prob arent important enough to mention

awards:

• abrsm level 8 with distinction (violin)

• ap scholar lol

• Schools You’re Currently Looking At: Caltech, UCLA, UCB, UCSD, UCs just in general tbh, Cornell, Stanford, Upenn (all reaches ik)

was planning to just use UCs as safety since I’m applying to all of them and I’m guaranteed to get into at least one due to the california thing where if you’re in the top 9% of your class you’re guaranteed to get into a uc (usually merced/riverside)

For everyone kind enough to take time out of your day to respond literally tysm i’ve been stressing out so much LOL

I agree but you are not limited to UCs for safety.

Lots of OOS schools are safeties too and lots would give you a lot of money - from the Arizonas of the world to Alabama to Miami Ohio and many more. Also great LACs if that were an interest may take 33-50% off cost.

So unless you’re ok with the UC safety, consider spreading your wings.

The 1500 is great but won’t count at the UCs as you know.

Can you leverage violin - reach out to orchestra teachers, etc?

Ps no reason to stress. But your safeties and targets are most important. They require the MOST consideration and it seems like you’ve given none.

Best of luck.

Thank you so much for responding!

I’ll definitely look into OOS schools, I just love california LOL, but I know staying here is probably not the most realistic.

I’ll definitely consider more safeties and targets as well. Thanks for all the advice!

If you love CA, then your list is way off.

I’m simply saying tho - if you don’t get into those you listed, where would you want to be ? If it’s UCR or UCM then great.

But my guess is that’s not your desire. So think long and hard beside ranking - what do you want in a school. Geographically (and if you say just CA I’ll challenge your ranking based most, size, weather, urban/suburban, sports etc.

Thanks

I think your list is fine as long as you are happy to attend any UC to which you are accepted. It’s quite OK to want to stay in CA if that is your top choice. It’s also OK to have a couple of reach schools that are not in CA.

1 Like

I think that was what I was thinking, since a counselor told me I had pretty good chances of getting into the middle UCs (never any guarantees though). I definitely appreciate your feedback with my list.

I mean, I guess in terms of education I’m definitely willing to compromise location. I think I’m just quite idealistic. But I’ll definitely do more research into schools in California. Thanks again.

This is my concern - the word middle. If you post your 3 UC GPAs usually @Gumbymom can provide acceptance rates by campus to give an idea.

Usually when people say what you did, they mean they’d be disappointed with UCSC, UCR and UCM - hence the basis of my comments. There’s lots of CA targets and safeties plus fine schools in nearby states as well if the goal is to stay close to home.

Deleted

1 Like

@ucbalumnus this was in the OP.

You appear to be a competitive applicant so as mentioned above calculate your 3 UC GPA’s: Unweighted, Capped Weighted and Fully Weighted.

https://rogerhub.com/gpa-calculator-uc/

Being ELC (top 9% within your HS or Statewide) gives you the UC guarantee that if not admitted to your choice campus, then your application will be referred to the default campus which has been UC Merced, although UCR also accepted referrals this year but not always.

Below are the 2022 UC admit rates based on the capped weighted UC. UCLA and UCB will put more emphasis on the Unweighted and Fully weighted but all 3 UC GPA’s will be considered by all campuses for your application review. GPA is only one component of the UC application review but Very Important including HS Course rigor and the PIQ’s.

How applications are reviewed | UC Admissions.

2022 Admit rates based on the Capped weighted UC GPA.

Campus 4.00+ 3.70-3.99 3.30-3.69 3.00-3.29
Berkeley 17% 3% 1% 0%
Davis 58% 20% 5% 2%
Irvine 35% 10% 3% 0%
Los Angeles 13% 2% 1% 0%
Merced 97% 97% 95% 85%
Riverside 95% 83% 42% 17%
San Diego 37% 8% 1% 0%
Santa Barbara 41% 8% 3% 0%
Santa Cruz 69% 45% 16% 4%

Based on the information above, UCR/UCM and UCSC are the most likely. UCD could go either way 50/50 and UCI/UCSB are not easy admits.

When 2023 data is available, I will update the chart above.

Here is 2023 Preliminary admission summary for the UC’s for more information:

UW: 3.87
WL 4.40
Weighted and Capped: 4.13

These are the stats that I got from the calculator. (I’m pretty sure I calculated it right although the UC system thing is confusing lol)

I believe my school has some connection to Berkeley, as there were around 15+ people committed this year.

I’ll definitely take a look at all the helpful statistics you provided. Thanks for all your insight, I really really appreciate it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

You are competitive for all the UCs but not a guaranteed in at any UC other than at Merced. The mid-UCs as you call them are all hard admits for instate students. You need some CSUs in the mix other than CalPoly.

Here are more specifics on the Cognitive Science major if the admit data was available.

2022 admit Rates

Campus Cognitive Science
UC Berkeley 12% for College of L&S Does not admit by major
UC Davis 37.9% for College of L&S Does not admit by major
UC Irvine 24.3%
UCLA 10% for College of L&S Does not admit by major
UC Merced 94%
UC Riverside 84% for Neuroscience
UC San Diego No data but <25% Top 5 most popular declared major
UC Santa Barbara 27% for College of L&S does not admit by major Psychological and Brain Science. Cognitive Science is a Graduate program.
UC Santa Cruz 55%

You are definitely competitive and you will be evaluated within the context of your HS. You can check how your HS fares overall with UC admissions and the average UC (Capped weighted) GPA using this link: Admissions by source school | University of California

From my understanding, a really good number of students at my school are committed to UCs, specifically USCS. I think I probably have a good shot at those middle UCs but I’ll definitely consider more state schools like you said. Thanks for all the feedback!

Wow! Thanks for all the specifics. I had no idea most of these statistics were even public. I can’t thank you enough! This looks to be a really invaluable resource.

Reiterating what Gumbymom posted above.

UCSB does not have a Cognitive Science major. IIRC, UCR didn’t offer it either. Google shows a Cognition and Neuroscience major, but the UCR Psychology website is being updated so I can’t confirm.

What side of Cognitive Science are you interested in? Both UCSB and UCR focus on the neuroscience side. If you are interested in CS/AI, you might look for another major at those schools.

1 Like

What is this?

As a suggestion for the national portion of your search, research Vassar College, which, I believe, developed the world’s first undergraduate major in cognitive science. For further ideas in California, look into Pomona College, Occidental College and the University of Southern California.

1 Like

Assuming UCSC Santa Cruz?

2 Likes