Chance/Match me! ADHD student applying as Prelaw [NJ resident, 2.5 GPA, 1510 SAT, <$40k]

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/t/follow-these-steps-to-get-free-essay-feedback/3645578

Follow that link for free essay help. You are correct; do not post your essay on the public forum.

I hope you will take advantage of the resource. Your essay may need feedback to make sure the tone highlights the strengths and positives you will bring to a campus.

Best of luck!

5 Likes

Just keep in mind that if you want accommodations in the future, you will absolutely have to provide medical documentation to the disability office, and sometimes that takes a while to set up (my son only had to wait a month for his neuropsychological evaluation because his appointment was with someone who didn’t take insurance, I’ve heard of waits over a year long).

5 Likes

Thank you, I’ll go through that.

I hesitated responding to this because admittedly it’s an area I do not personally know about. However, I do know you are getting input here from very experienced posters so I strongly encourage you to seriously consider their advice.

It is my understanding that it is much easier to get the evaluations and documentation needed for accommodations in college while still in high school. So please get guidance on that from a trusted counselor.

1 Like

Ty, you can delete or edit this post to my question, I don’t need to know your essays. I would not want too much personal identifying info here.

If you have medication, you have a diagnosis from some professional who can prescribe. I don’t understand how your parents’ aversion to psychiatry comes into play. You need a 504 or other documentation for college. Accommodations are through the Office of Disabilities or Accessible Education. They give you a letter for each professor. In practice, deans and doctors or therapists can also be helpful in implementing.

Many gifted people have ADHD. The point of accommodations is to level the playing field so that you can perform at the level you would without the ADHD. Many young people resist accommodations. But they can be quite helpful. I think a middle ground is to use them sparingly and only when absolutely necessary, which you can tell the professors.

Again, for a holistic admissions college, you may be able to reach higher. The emphasis should be on recent years’ grades, EC’s and letters of rec.

3 Likes

Agee, Ask your prescriber about documentation,

Such as outlined by Seton Hall.

In past years, some CC posters have advised not disclosing adhd or other health issues until after being admitted.

That is why I wonder about essay topics that look forward or are related to interests and activities rather than illness or setbacks.

I agree with @compmom that there are colleges that will welcome your talents and gifts and not be concerned with adhd.

2 Likes

I think you’re right. I’ll work on that.

Thanks so much! On the last part of your answer - what are some colleges you would suggest that I look at with my stats?

At my school, they request the parents sit down with the BOE to have a meeting with the mental health professionals for a 504. My family refuses to do this for me, because ryey think I’m intelligent enough to survive without one. That was what I meant by my ‘gifted’ comment. What are some holistic admissions schools?

I think your list is pretty good.

From The Colleges that Change Lives list, maybe take a look at Ursinus- there may be a scholarship just for your SAT.

2 Likes

A couple other schools that you may want to consider include:

• Saint Joseph’s (St. Joe’s): About 5100 undergrads with a strong business program. You may also get some merit aid here, too.

• Drexel (PA ): About 14k undergrads and another Philadelphia school. This school has a lot of co-ops built in, so there’s a lot of hands-on experience and you can earn money while in school, which can help offset the costs of the school.

• Siena (NY): About 3500 undergrads just outside of Albany and you may get some merit aid, too.

2 Likes

thanks, I’ll take a look

is drexel an ED school or am i fine EA, do you think?

I only believe in EDing to your #1 school, if you know if you’re sure about it and it’s affordable. But I think you’d have a good shot of getting in RD at Drexel
if you don’t get in RD, I don’t think that you’d get in ED. It has an 80% acceptance rate, so the odds are in your favor.

I really hope you can aim for schools with admissions rates lower than 80% . If you are gifted, you may need challenging peers. You can certainly find them at some of the schools on your list.

In our state, you just need a professional to sign a form for a 504, you give it to the principal, and then there is a meeting with the student (and parent if they are willing).

How do your parents feel about you taking ADHD meds, and did they come with you for the diagnostic appointment? Who diagnosed you? Or are you not taking meds ? If so what is the “treatment” that raised your grades?

Have you heard of condition “twice exceptional”
I found this helpful:

2 Likes

My family is against stimulant medication, but after much cajoling from many experts and teschers, I was finally put on a non-stimulant medication that really only assauged my depression. Counselling and CBT were major factors in my improvement. I hope to seek stimulant medication in college.

thank you so much for linking me this. I really identify with the ideas listed here, and I think this will help me a ton.

1 Like

No matter what you do and nothing wrong with Drexel - and especially as it’s close - you don’t ED anywhere without visiting. That’s too big a risk.

Also, you have to determine - is Drexel at nearly $80K worth it vs. - I threw out York, Ramapo, you have Rutgers on your list.

So it’s not just - can I get in but:

1. Can I afford it - your target is $40K

2. Even if your family can afford $80K, do they want to?

3. If #2 is yes, then is the value there vs. other far more affordable choices? What will Drexel do for you that other schools won’t? You might check into their co op program and see what kind of co ops people in your major get.

On paper, it doesn’t seem a fit (to me) - but those are the things you should investigate - for any school. It’s a fine school though - I think it’s at the level of those in it’s athletic conference - Hofstra, Charleston, JMU, Elon, Stony Brook, UNCW - nothing wrong with it at all - but pricey vs. what you are targeting cost wise.

Good luck.

Drexel Co-op | CoAS | Drexel University