Chance/Match me for Most LAC's - semi competitive junior from NC [3.9, public health, enviro health, data science, or urban studies, "need full financial aid"]

Thanks for your reply! Do you have any info about where on the politcal spectrum the school lies? I am a fairly tolerant person, but I’d rather not go to an ultra-conservative (based on search results) school for my safety as a POC.

Not exactly. Compared to Bates, WLU is less diverse in race/ethnicity (74% White versus 65% White), but more diverse in economic background (56% on financial aid with 10% Pell grant, versus 44% on financial aid with 8% Pell grant). However, both are less diverse than colleges overall in the US (about 52% White and 34% with Pell grant).

1 Like

I would say the school itself is middle of the road – some very liberal/left wing students and faculty, some conservative. My son is very liberal, and we were just talking about this last night. He thinks the school is very tolerant, accepting etc, but the surrounding area can be more of an issue. I.e. that a confederate flag can be seen occasionally, that “Lee Jackson Day” is celebrated by some. Again, this is the community, not the school.

My 2 cents is to continue exploring, because that scholarship is worth the effort. If, after looking into the school in depth, and ideally visiting, you decide its not a good fit then cross it off your list. But I would not dismiss this possibility without doing your own research. My son is loving his time there.

2 Likes

Note that at WLU, the majority of students join fraternities (70% of men join) and sororities (73% of women join). You may want to investigate whether the sororities there are to your liking, or (if you are not interested in them) how the social life is for those not in fraternities and sororities. WLU has 8 sororities, 5 of which are chapters of national historically White organizations, 2 of which are chapters of national historically Black organizations, and 1 of which is a local sorority: Sororities : Washington and Lee University .

1 Like

The Occidental vs. St. Lawrence debate above highlights the difficulty of finding schools that are both rural/outdoorsy and diverse. I’d already suggested Occidental up-thread, having noted that it could be too urban, but if the St. Paul location of Macalester isn’t too urban, then the Eagle Rock neighborhood of LA might not be either.

When pondering the original post, I kept thinking of small schools with wonderful outdoorsy locations - Sewanee, for example - but then thinking better of them for diversity reasons. (82% white at Sewanee; 77% white at St. Lawrence). Only the most competitive of the rural LAC’s - Williams for example - succeed in attracting a diverse student body. Of the prominent Maine LAC’s, Bowdoin is the most diverse, followed by Colby and then Bates. Hamilton could be worth a look if you haven’t considered it. Grinnell is unusually diverse for its rural Iowa location (although I’m not sure it’s the kind of rural that necessarily lends itself to outdoor pursuits) and is generous with aid too.

1 Like

With respect to suggestions for colleges in proximity to natural attractions, this site may be helpful:

Are you applying for any of the fly in/visit programs?

Yes, I am applying to Bates, Bowdoin’s, Amherst’s, Scripps’, Williams’, Middlebury’s and Bryn Mawr’s fly-ins.

2 Likes

Many of the names on this list are urban contrary to OPs stated desire for a quiet and or rural environment and not all the names on your outdoorsy list have strong reputations in the OPs area of interest.

As you similarly pointed out regarding a link I provided on another thread…

I guess that’s the shortcoming of these links.

1 Like

Based on your list, I would definitely make sure that UNC-Asheville is one of the UNC schools you’re consider. It’s got about 3500 undergrads and Asheville is an amazing location for outdoor pursuits. Also, I don’t think Virginia Tech would be a safety, as I don’t think it meets financial need for out-of-state students. Although your chances for admission are likelier based on your majors of interest, I would not think it is so likely as to be called a safety.

For the schools I’m going to suggest, I will also give a percentage of students receiving Pell Grants and the percentage of white students so that you can have a sense as to whether the school might have the diversity on campus that you want.

• Agnes Scott Seconding or thirding this one. 41% receive Pell grants and 33% White.

• Allegheny (PA ): About 1600 undergrads, 25% Pell recipients, 67% White.

• Drew (NJ): About 1600 undergrads, 28% Pell recipients, 52% White

• Hampshire (MA): About 500 undergrads, but part of the Five Colleges Consortium (Amherst, U. Mass, Smith, and Mount Holyoke) so there are lots of additional possibilities available. It’s a very unique curriculum, but if you’re interested in Deep Springs, I think this is another option to consider. 47% Pell recipients, 58% White

• Juniata (PA ): About 1300 undergrads, 26% Pell recipients, 71% White

• St. Bonaventure (NY): About 1800 undergrads, 28% Pell recipients, 76% White

• Wheaton (MA): About 1700 undergrads, 20% Pell recipients, 70% White

All of these would be likely or extremely likely admits, but of course, the financial aspect would be the big question mark. I do think that you’d be likely to get good merit aid which could feasibly be combined with financial aid to make these schools affordable.

4 Likes

I’m also in NC.

Did you see the latest headline about Duke giving free tuition to NC students with below $150k in income!! Definitely apply there and polish that essay!

Definitely add UNC-Asheville too. While you’re there you might look at Warren Wilson too. It’s pretty unique and not for everyone but very outdoorsy. Both would be shoo-ins for you (safeties). You would definitely get money at WWC.

I also think Agnes Scott is worth a look. It was the most diverse school we looked at (although no CIS-males). It’s probably roughly 40% black, 40% white, 20% Latina, also a good LGBTQ presence . It is in Decatur in the Atlanta metro area so not rural but Decatur is a cute suburb with lots of little shops and boutiques to check out. Agnes Scott is all about setting up their students for success. The sticker price is high but everyone is guaranteed $20k+ off tuition. They do have some full ride scholarships as well.

William & Mary might be worth looking into in VA. I think they offer a few scholarships.

3 Likes

Somehow I missed this thread when it was more active a few weeks ago. :slight_smile:

Since you plan to research W&L, I will add to @cinnamon1212 's information by mentioning W&L’s extremely generous no-loan financial aid. Based on the information you’ve shared you may get a full ride or close to it based on need and not require the Johnson Scholarship to make it affordable. See the W&L Promise.

With your experience with non-profits and interest in public health, you may also be interested in The Bonner Program, a leadership development program for students with an interest in service and social responsibility and The Shepherd Program which has the mission to understand and address the causes and consequences of poverty and inequality in ways that respect the dignity of every person.

My daughter is involved in both programs if you have any questions as you continue your research. She is actually on a public health internship in Kenya this summer.

She also enjoys the Outing Club activities and recently became scuba certified through a joint Outing Club/PE class.

As for other suggestions, Agnes Scott immediately came to mind. I see it’s been mentioned multiple times already.

Best of luck! You will no doubt have many great choices next spring.

3 Likes

I also saw that duke is offering free tuition! I think that solidified it on my list lol. I will be adding UNC Asheville and maybe removing App State because of its size. I’ll further look into Agnes Scott! Thanks for your reply

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.