Chance/Match Me – Rising senior from Texas, planning to major in CS [3.89/4.66 GPA, top 10%, 1540 SAT]

Demographics

• Greater Houston area
  • Large, competitive public school
  • Asian female

Intended major: Computer science
Alternates: Data science or statistics

Stats

• Unweighted GPA: 3.89
  • Weighted GPA (5.0 scale): 4.66
  • Class rank: top 10%
  • SAT: 1540 (740 M/800 R)
  • Five AP exam scores: four 5s and one 4

Coursework

• Eight AP classes (taking four more this year)
  • Everything else pre-AP
  • Courses related to major – AP CSP, AP CSA, two college/professional level courses

Awards

• Academic recognition award from Spanish teacher
  • AP Scholar with Distinction

Extracurriculars

• Four-year member of choir (will be three years varsity)
    • Made region choir twice, placed within top 10 chairs
  • 10 years of traditional dance and classical piano (local public performances, some mentoring younger students)
  • Long-term virtual tutor (elementary math/reading for kids from low-income families, ~50 hours)
  • Self-studying programming languages (online courses – Java, HTML, CSS)
  • Smithsonian volunteer for transcription of historical documents online (~300 in total)
  • NHS and music honor society (general membership)

Essays/LORs

• Personal statement – maybe 8/10. Fairly unique topic
  • LOR 1 – favorite teacher, probably 7 or 8/10
  • LOR 2 – CS teacher, 7/10? Hard to tell but he saw my growth in his class and we talked outside of class. He also seemed very eager

Cost Constraints/Budget: none. Very unlikely to receive financial aid

Schools (most of list)

• Safeties – U of H, UT Dallas, A&M, ASU, Colorado School of Mines
  • Targets – UMass Amherst, Penn State, NC State, UW Madison, Virginia Tech
  • Reaches – Rice (dream school, may ED), UT Austin, Georgia Tech, UMich, UNC Chapel Hill

Preferences: any size school, preferably in or near a large city. Would be a small plus if CS major or school of study is guaranteed upon admission

Open to any suggestions (additions/deletions from list) including private institutions since my current list is mainly publics

I think you get into both Mines and Penn State but I’d switch safety and target on them.

Madison - slight reach.

Costs come down to - not that you have constraints. I mean you can apply to any school in America.

But given you can go to reputable schools under $30k - would your parents want to pay for a Va Tech or Wisconsin when perfectly good schools exist for half the price ? In other words, an Arkansas, Arizona, South Carolina, Oklahoma, Florida State and more.

You’ll be fine with this list if you are good attending all these schools. You won’t get into all but certainly some.

Also, Penn State is anything but near a mid or large city. Swap with Pitt if you like the area. Va Tech isn’t either although there’s lots in Blacksburg. Even UMass to an extent. UMD might be more to your liking.

Who else you can consider depends on what they’re willing to pay vs what they can afford to pay - especially when outcomes from your OOS choices will likely be no better than less expensive schools.

1 Like

One thing to consider about UNC-Chapel Hill and also NC State is that out-of-state freshmen are limited to 18% of each incoming class at both schools, which makes admission even more competitive for OOS applicants. (I think that a year or so ago over 40% of the applicants to UNC-Chapel Hill were OOS; and the OOS children of Carolina alumni have a higher admit rate, due to slightly more consideration from the admissions office.

Also, my observations about OOS admission to Georgia Tech is that your chances are better if you are a class valedictorian or salutatorian.

Generally, if you look at the Common Data Set for a college or university, Section C7 tells you how certain academic and non-academic factors are weighed for admission; and Sections C9-C11 of the Common Data Set will tell you the objective criteria for the matriculating freshman class. You might want to look over these sections from the respective Common Data Sets for all the schools on your list, and see how you compare to recently matriculated students; that may give you a rough idea about your admissions chances.

1 Like

Thank you for the advice! The list is not set in stone so I’ll continue to research options. I was looking at UMD earlier, so I’ll go back and look into it

I was aware of the policies there but I didn’t realize they were this strong :grimacing:. That’s for sure something to keep in mind. Do you have any school suggestions that are more realistic but have a similar feel to the ones you’ve covered here?

UMD is a much harder in than Penn State and Penn State is a gorgeous campus but near nothing. Like an A&M. But even farther from cities.

You might look at Ohio State (large), Pitt (mid-large), U of South Carolina Honors, UF (Gainesville is a small city) abd so many more. CU Boulder and UMN might be two more.

But your list as is - is very fine. Since you have CSM, maybe an RPI, WPI, or CWRU - but those are big money. If your parents want to down, then ok but if not, it’s ok too. But then why not add Rice ?

If you’re happy with UH or UTD or ASU - as not only safeties but solid budget choices you’ll be fine. Mines is smaller, more STEM focused and not cheap. Not sure if A&M has additional qualifications once you get to school but it’s also not in a big city although like Va Tech and PSU it’s got all you need in the surround.

I’d say this. Find schools you love. If your parents really say - we’d spend $400k even if we could spend $100 or $150k, even better.

After visiting, if you really love a school it’s ok to apply. You have 20 common app spots. As long as you have two affordable safeties you won’t be upset having to attend, it’s ok to take your shots. If you love UNC, then no problem. Many who love UNC love UVA too. Or others W&M which is more Mines size.

You needn’t get in everywhere. And while UNC is brutal OOS, you can’t get in if you don’t apply.

1 Like

Penn State doesn’t make a lot of sense. Not close to a city and not direct admit. Nice school but not so much better than your safeties. Especially for full price.

I’d leave NC State on the list. 18% cap but didn’t reach it. At least they didn’t when we toured a few years ago.

Maybe swap UMD for VT? Closer to your requirements.

CMU? Any interest in Canadian schools?

If you love Rice and it’s affordable go for it. Good luck.

1 Like

Sending you a PM.

Could be a major minus if there is secondary admission that is highly competitive or requires a very high college GPA (e.g. Texas A&M ETAM which needs a 3.75 college GPA to assure admission to the major, and CS has very little space for those below that GPA).

1 Like

It’s actually kind of a big thing - if this is what one really wants to study. I’m not sure why people would go to secondary admission schools when there are many that aren’t.

I think your list looks good. You are likely to be accepted to enough of these schools to give you a choice next Spring. You might check out WPI (in Worcester, MA) - I know a few kids who attend and really like it - it would be a match for you and they do give merit to a good number of students. They are on a quarter system which means that even Engineering students have an opportunity to go abroad (they encourage this) - if that is of interest to you. Other likely/safer choices could include RPI and RIT - both in/around cities.

2 Likes

What is it about Rice that makes it your dream school? It seems quite different from the rest of your list. If you let us know what it is you love about Rice, then perhaps we can provide other suggestions of schools you might want to consider.

Also, if you can confirm that you have no cost constraints from your parents, that would be great, as it’s a crucial piece to know. Some families who have no financial need are willing and able to pay $80k+/year while others are not. Whatever your family is comfortable doing, members of the board will be able to suggest schools to meet that price point.

1 Like

I agree with @AustenNut that it’s striking how Rice is “the dream,” but none of your other choices have the same attributes (small to midsized, close residential community, flexibility to choose/change majors once there… and also a private university price tag).

For an out-of-the-box suggestion: as a CS + performing arts kid, I’d take a look at St. Olaf in MN - you’d be hard pressed to find a better place for choral music and other performing arts EC’s (high-end for music majors but accessible to non-majors as well, and a very music-infused culture) and also a very strong CS major. It’s not urban, but it’s only about 45 minutes from Minneapolis. It’s larger than most LAC’s (around 3000 students), and Carleton College (reachier but also a possibility!) is in the same town, and there’s a cross-registration agreement between the two. St Olaf would be a low-match/safety; Carleton a reach (and demonstrated interest matters).

A great research university for student musicians/dancers is the University of Rochester. Top-notch CS, and tons of performing arts opportunities, in a nice (albeit cold) small city. Flexible curriculum and ease of choosing changing majors. Another somewhat-similar school is CWRU in Cleveland. Both give merit awards. In Boston, consider Boston U, Northeastern, and Tufts. (Of those three, BU has the strongest performing arts. Look into the Kilachand Honors College.)

It’s already been said, but if you prefer an urban setting, I’d 100% choose Pitt over Penn State. (Their rolling admissions policy is great also - apply in August, and you could have your first acceptance nailed down in September.)

If you like VT, you might consider Purdue also. Neither is remotely urban, though.

For additional urban publics with strong CS (in addition to GT which is a great reach option):

• U of Minnesota Twin Cities - great urban campus, great direct-admit CS (unlike neighbor UW-Madison which has secondary admission, although Madison’s process is fairly predictable and attainable)
  • U of Utah - check out the Honors College, which has fantastic, robust programming and gorgeous honors housing. CS is very strong here, and performing arts are too. Flying into SLC is easy, and the outdoor recreation opportunities are unparalleled, if that appeals. Best of all, Utah offers a path to residency after the first year, which could save an impressive amount of money over 4 years even without merit, and you might well get merit too.
  • U of Arizona - also a great Honors College with great honors housing. Tuscon has a lot to offer, academics are strong across the board, and OOS merit is generous for high-stats students like you.
  • Likewise, U of New Mexico is an solid urban flagship, in Albuquerque, and you’d get lots of merit aid.
  • UMD as already mentioned - but you must apply EA, as they fill virtually the entire CS major in the early cycle.

Good luck! You would have great options even if you limited your list to in-state, so it’s all a matter of what else clears the high bar set by your in-state publics.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.