Chance Me (A High School Sophomore)? VT Engineering Hopeful!

Hello Everyone,
I’m a high school sophomore currently living in the NOVA area (Prince William County). A few days ago, I met a VT alum at an engineering seminar at my school which had further sparked my interest in VT. I have been doing my research on many different colleges over the last year and I have definitely discovered a lot.

Anyway, I was going to kindly ask if anyone, if possible, would be able to chance a sophomore. I made an account just to have this question answered, and hopefully it is. I have been on this website numerous times over the past year and have seen that this site is a very good resource for pre-college students.

Note: I have not taken the SAT or ACT yet. I have taken practice SAT tests from time to time and usually score between 1700 and 1900. I do know about the redesigned SATs coming out in March of 2016, which is why I plan to take the SAT sometime during junior year. Also I have been out of the country for all of freshman year and so I have been taking some freshman courses this year.

Race: African-American

Intended Major: General Engineering (Mechanical Engineering)

Currently going to a very competitive, pre-dominantly white high school with many AP classes.

This is a list of class I have taken and plan to take over the following years of high school:

Middle School Classes (For high school credit)
Honors Algebra 1 - C (I didn’t take it seriously)
Italian 1A/1B - A
Italian 2 - A

9th Grade Classes (I was out of the country)
Computer Information Systems (Mainly a business/computer class) - A
Honors Biology - A
Honors Geometry - A
Honors 9th Grade English - A

10th Grade Classes (Current Grade)
Computer Math (Mainly Mathematical Programming)
Honors 10th Grade English
Honors World History to 1500 (9th Grade Class)
Spanish 1 (Mainly a 9th Grade Class)
Honors Chemistry
Algebra 2
Heath and PE 1 (Mainly a 9th Grade Classes

Planning to Take Online or In Summer School
Health and PE 2
World History from 1500 to Present

11th Grade (Projected) Classes
Principles of Engineering (A Project Lead The Way Class)
Introduction to Engineering (A Project Lead The Way Class) or AP Computer Science A (Still deciding which one to take)
AP Chemistry
AP US History
Functions/Trigonometry
Spanish 2
(Regular) 11th Grade English

12 Grade (Projected) Classes
Physics or (A Project Lead The Way Class)
AP Computer Science A or AB - Depending on What I choose in 11th Grade
Honors Earth Science
US/Virginia Government
AP Calculus AB
AP Economics
(Regular) 12th Grade English

Extracurricular Activities: Robotics Club (For the Next Three Years)
Wrestling

I also had some questions:

1. As you can see I only intend to do 5-6 AP classes. I've been looking through other threads and have become quite intimidated by the number of students who have taken 7 or more. I known AP classes aren't the only thing that matters but is 5 AP classes okay as long I do well? I also go to a school where people usually do 5 - 9 AP classes.
  2. Will taking two engineering classes and some computer classes in high school give me an advantage on my transcript as long as I do well? Since I've heard most high school students are unable to take an engineering class in high school.
  3. In your opinion, which one would be better to take? ACT or SAT?

Thanks to anyone who was able to read this lengthy question. I would like someone like chuy would be able to help, but any and all help is welcome. If you need any additional info, please do not hesitate to comment. Thank you!