chance me and i'll be your friend(OOS)

<p>please help me out. im really nervous, and i wan't to know if i have a shot here. it's my #1 choice and my app is good to go</p>

<p>I have received advice from my gc, but he's an idiot. It's seems like it's required to get the job.</p>

<p>I'll just post my stat's and see what you think/what my options are</p>

<p>GPA unweighted (we don't rank)
9: 3.55
10: 3.3
I think this is probably the worst thing on my resume. Our school is set up so
sophomore year is more like freshman year. This is part of the problem.
11: 3.87
12: assume 3.9ish senior year- my schedule looks challenging, but the actual courses are a joke</p>

<p>I won't bother doing weighted since everybody has different scales, but 9/10 i took all honors for core classes and 11 I took 2 AP and the rest honors.</p>

<p>SAT
2250- this is supposed to be my "hook", as my guidance counselor likes to call it, but he's an idiot. im wondering how much my grades will hurt me
for the breakwon
math- 770
cr- 800
writing- 680- im gonna retake this year for colleges that superscore, on practice tests im consistently 700+, i've always had 11-12 on essays</p>

<p>SAT2
bio- 770
math 1- 800
history- 750</p>

<p>AP
ab calc- 4-(i self-studied this last year, and the guidance department messed up so now i can't take bc this year. shocker
bio-5</p>

<p>upcoming
AB calc
computer science
i still have a week to figure out if i wanna take history</p>

<p>EC's-
here's the dagger- very scattered and no depth whatsoever
winter track- 9, 11, 12- ***probably cocaptain next year- we're flipping a coin for it cause me and the other kid are basically equal
spring track- 10, 11, 12- no chance at leadership
chess club- 11, 12- prez this year
one weird club w/ really long name- will be some sort of leader guy next year, just because nobody else would
I have made over $15000 on full tilt poker, but since it's sort of illegal i can't really see how i could incorporate it into my application, it's pointless. I've thought about setting up some sort of business with an intangible product and laundering my winnings through there, but it's probably illegal and not worth the risk.
my hobbies- watching movies, sleeping, going out, poker- apparently don't classify as EC's. We have to show some sort of passion towards our ec, but if any teenager tells you they have a "passion" for financial modeling, organized debate, or the economy, they are a) a liar or b) lonely</p>

<p>COMMUNITY SERVICE (all documented)
750 hours @ handicap program- my essay's on this, i was say pretty good
200 hours @ emt program- drove around town and picked up drunks and kids w/ broken arms
50 hours random stuff</p>

<p>EMPLOYMENT
worked at a camp for three years, nothing unusual
i set up a website to sell old tests, which was apparently illegal
i created a business where i collected old golfballs off the golf course and resold them for like four bucks a ball. made like 1 grand before i found out it was illegal
made an online loan and deposit business, lasted a week until...drumroll... i found out it was illegal</p>

<p>REC's
pretty much average- one's good, one's too good and she says the word spectacular every other sentence. It sound like a satire almost.</p>

<p>HONORS/AWARDS
nothing that stands out, few bs track awards and athletic awards, i beat the school pull up record if that counts lol
i got this weird italian athlete award
national merit </p>

<p>so i have consulted the omnipotent chart online, and i believe it has me at around seventy five percent, so since i'm out of state, i'm probably at a fifty fifty shot. so i've been sitting here flipping a coin for the last 30 minutes, and i was wondering if anybody here could give me any insight. anything (and i do mean anything) will be helpful</p>

<p>thanks in advance</p>

<p>I would say you are looking just fine Pink. Just as a comparison, I got in OOS this year from CA with an identical unweighted GPA. Also, you have a better SAT than me by 300 points and similar class schedule it looks like. I had more APs, but it looks like you have honors so that’s good. UW neither looks at SAT IIs nor AP scores so you can’t send those. </p>

<p>Your ECs/volunteering looks great to me. I had a bit more ECs, but you dominate in volunteering I think. Also nicely done on Full Tilt, but as you said, I wouldn’t mention it haha. The chart is fairly accurate I think, but you have a great shot. Not to mention UW likes OOS I think. I can’t say for sure, but I would say they appreciate the diversity that OOS students brings. If for whatever reason you don’t get in first time around you ought to be a shoe-in should the university do a waiting-list next year. In any case overall I’d give you an 85% chance.</p>

<p>Good Luck!</p>

<p>Keep it legal in the future. Ethics, integrity…</p>

<p>ok cool thanks cryto</p>

<p>wis75- yeah i went on an illegal business streak last year, i’m currently trying to set something up that won’t be totally illegal</p>

<p>There’s no partially versus totally illegal- any illegal activity taints you. Wise up and let your adult life be free of potential legal problems that could haunt you years later. It can mean jobs, political office in the future. Events in your life you want hidden have a way of becoming known- all it takes is one “friend” or someone else searching the internet these days.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Chill out Wis, it’s not like he is committing murder or theft. He is just an underage guy on Full Tilt. I know numerous people who do this and I guarantee there are thousands more who do the same thing. He was joking about it (I think) anyway. In my opinion it’s the same type of crime thousands upon thousands of UW students commit every week; underage drinking. Does that make it right? No, but it happens and it’s not your job to lecture the kid about it on an internet forum. Just give him some helpful advice pertaining to his question or leave it be.</p>

<p>Cryto, it would be advisable for you to get at least a couple weeks of college life under your belt before you become real smart & start rationalizing others’ somewhat-illegal activity. You haven’t been around the block yet. Wis75 is trying to be helpful.</p>

<p>Selling used golf balls is illegal??? ****.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>That’s fine, and you know what you are probably right JNM. Perhaps I’m being naive in defending the guy but it really has nothing to do with me being on or off campus atm. I’m not condoning doing activities like that, but the fact is, it happens. You don’t need to repeatedly hammer home the point when it has nothing to do with the question being posed. Once is fine, but more than that is just unhelpful and unnecessary.</p>

<p>um yeah, with the golf balls, i would go swimming in the lakes on the course and collect the ones that nobody else wanted to. i figured since they weren’t course balls, i could take them. however, the course told me that since they were on their property, it belonged to them. i looked this up and it’s technically not true, but it’s not worth a lawsuit. they offered to hire me and pay me fifty cents a ball, but at that point its not worth it. </p>

<p>online poker is currently in an area of legal ambiguity, where if i’m caught, my money will be seized by the site, but no charges will be pressed. in actuality, anybody signed up on the site can potentially be charged, but that is extremely extremely unlikely to happen. </p>

<p>my loan business wasn’t an actual loan business, and no collateral was put out, so again, not illegal.</p>

<p>also, the website where i was selling sites was originally intended for teachers to buy. i would modify the tests i got back and then sell them for five bucks. however, somebody found out in my school and then the school tried to blacklist the site so i took it down. again, no charges could have been pressed.</p>

<p>so although it may have come off like i’m a drug dealer, all my “offenses” are pretty mild.</p>

<p>so what about chances?</p>

<p>I think you have at least 95% chance!</p>

<p>Repeat- keep it legal. That is what I tell my son. I don’t have to approve of your activities, but you have to deal with any legal consequences. I would never hire you based on your online activites if I ever were to ID you- I don’t trust your ethics and skirting the law, and would be afraid you would jeopardize my good name by association with you.</p>

<p>You have a chance to reinvent yourself in college. Your choice to be trusted or not. Your “youthful indescretions” can be overlooked but walking the line between legal/illegal is too risky for most honest employers. </p>

<p>Laws are there to protect people from unscrupulus people- seemingly unharmful acts can have devastating effects on lives that you are totally unaware of. Try to find legal outlets for your risky behaviors- there are plenty of challenges that can satisfy without hurting others.</p>

<p>PS- I don’t want to be your friend based on your posts. Yes, I am being intentionally harsh with this last statement.</p>

<p>really?
i only loaned with people i knew, and it was based on trust
i swam in a lake at a golf course
i made a website
i play poker</p>

<p>i didn’t kick your kitty or commit necrophilia</p>