Chance Me: Asian (Indian) Male from Pennsylvania - Top 3%, 4.0/1520, with hopes in Business

Gotcha–and there is likely a lot of overlap of students who receive both but the notifications are separate. My daughter applied last year and received her acceptance along with merit award in early October. She didn’t get an invite to their Honor programs until late February.
(You have to apply to their honors program to be considered and there is a December application deadline.)

There is no auto merit with Pitt honors. The other poster is correct. Many students are accepted into honors without a cent of merit.

No - the OP isn’t noting these are important.

They are indistinguishable in rank/perception and this is obviously what OP is seeking.

The OPs comment was - he’s not sure if his parents would pay to send him to IU over PSU due to cost.

So I’m questioning then - why would they send him to NYU which will cost more.

And he said they said - for the “right” school.

So indistinguishable in rank/reputation. That’s why I noted one was #5 and one was #8.

I don’t think it’s an urban/rural desire - the OP has suburban and rural schools on the list.

Thanks

1 Like

I still disagree with what you are trying to say. Simply from reputation standpoint, it would be difficult to say that Indiana is as prestigious a university as NYU. It just isn’t.

3 Likes

I agree 100% with all that you describe but view the differences for a finance focused kid (particularly I banking or financial markets focused) to be even more meaningful.

NYU places more kids into these specific areas than anyone with the possible exception of Wharton. This is largely a function of proximity and familiarity.

At Stern students are taught by profesors like Aswath Damodoran, Ingo Walter, Ed Altman and Nouriel Roubini who have long histories of directly placing their best students into Wall Street jobs. These professors are viewed and used by WS as a resource to identify and recruit the best and brightest. It is a well travelled pipeline of talent.

Students have the ability to intern and network throughout their entire 4 years and draw on the schools alumni network for a variety of opportunities and events targeted for aspiring I bankers.

I have worked at several large banks over the last 30 years and every one recruited on Stern’s campus, held private recruitment events via NYU alumni and employed large numbers of NYU alum across the various I banking and sales and trading floors.

Not to take anything away from IU but it is simply not as highly regarded, represented or recruited relative to NYU in finance.

While I don’t trust any one ranking they can’t all be wrong.

3 Likes

You are fine to disagree but I am going by the OP’s interests - which don’t say Wall Street or I Banking. He’s interested in corporate finance.

So talking about success on Wall Street isn’t where I was going.

In regards to corporate finance and Smeal vs Kelly, I don’t disagree with his parent’s likely sentiment but I’d understand going to IU. But if they are concerned with value, I agree with my thought and can’t see why they would spend on NYU (or Cornell) for undergrad.

This is a kid looking at hotel school at Cornell because of a finance specialization it has.

But moving on….

1 Like

Thank you all for your opinions and thoughts. While obviously, I still have to apply and get into those schools, I will definitely have to decide after we see the financial package for tuition, rooms, etc. Not that it is an issue, but compared to the value of education, proximity, etc. Because traveling will have additional costs for any school other than PSU.

Can you clarify your desired career goals? I know it’s early and things change but are you looking for a Wall Street or banking career?

I’m not exactly sure yet which is why I’m looking at Finance in general, however, my ultimate goal would be to become a C-level executive, preferably CFO.

If not targeting Wall Street I would agree with others not to pay up for NYU. Stern’s unique benefit and where it is worth the incremental spend is I banking, CM, and FM.

3 Likes

I agree, and I will add for OP’s benefit that IU is a big name in the Midwest and elsewhere. If using USNWR rankings as a proxy for prestige/reputation, NYU and IU are only 3 places apart, so not a huge difference.

5 Likes

Then you’ll need finance. You mentioned economics above, also, so you’ll have to decide as they can be quite different. At Penn, the economics major is in CAS, not Wharton. You should examine both programs in detail and see which is more to your liking. Wharton is a more difficult admit than CAS.

I’ll second this.

CMU has ED2, also. And why not Dyson at Cornell instead of hotel school (or CAS for economics)? The hotel school offers a BS in hotel management - that’s different.

1 Like

From early in the thread:

I feel that Cornell’s Dyson school may be tougher to get into than the Hotel school, however, the hotel school also has a specialization in corporate finance which I’m very highly interested in.

1 Like

Have you thought about Richmond? It might be a good target for you. Like someone else mentioned, I think you can drop IUP and LIU.

Not that you need another reach but Georgetown McDonough might be worth looking at.

2 Likes

You’ve been given some great advice. At this point you need to dig into each program and look at offerings and classes.

PSU Finance is well regarded. It’s a tougher admit than other business majors. Big Alumni network. If you get into Schreyer that would be tough to turn down. Unless elite IB is your goal PSU is a great option.

The other thing to consider is the route you take. CMU has a quant finance degree I think through their math department. GT and other schools offer quant finance typically in Industrial Engineering. Go that route for undergrad and then an MBA in Finance. There’s multiple routes to get where you want to go. Just find the right one for you. Good luck.

1 Like

Thank you, everyone.

Remember, you’re not going to become a CFO overnight. Finance can be studied at the MBA level. Enjoy some of the undergrad experience.

1 Like

Their BSCF is very good, but OP would need to really, really love math; and want to work in quant finance (which doesn’t seem to be the case).

1 Like

I think that you are directionally correct but everyone of these rankings is typically built by ‘counts’ of employees from a particular school. A more accurate analysis would control for size. That said, what stood out for me is the presence of LAC’s like Middlebury and Williams in the top 40 of a couple of these rankings. That is really punching above your weight.

1 Like

Congratulations on a great resume. Just curious since you are reaching very high: what are your senior year courses? What AP courses does your school offer that you have not taken? Does your high school typically get a cluster of kids into UVa, Mich, UNC level schools? How many each year? Same question regarding ivies, since you mention UPenn ED?

1 Like