Chance Me: Asian Male (Valedictorian) from Alabama with high hopes in MechE [3.98, 33, $25-30k]

So that’s a great start.

So whether ur not you can apply to a Cornell will depend on the need determination.

So while the NPCs in your case may not be exact - they may be a start. Or as others have said a pre read may be possible but that would be based on your parents providing the necessary figures / documentation. If you are full pay, then there’s no reason to apply to Cornell etc, the same situation I put my kids in. WUSTL does have full merit so you can still apply but know the likelihood of going even if you get in is small. And you can’t ED. Again, I’m noting this if it’s determined you are full pay.

Alternatively you apply where you want (not ED unless you can determine need) but know that if you do you need to have Auburn and if you choose another in state school whether a Bama, UAH, UAB, UNA, USA etc for that - just in case.

And if you do want to be OOS you apply to others that may get you there or close purely with merit aid. They may not be those you feel are at the level you want.

But don’t forget - this is very common. Whether one has need or not, parents set budgets. And wherever you go there will be others like you. You will not be close to being alone. Worth repeating again - Bama has the most National Merit scholars in the country. UTD has many. These aren’t big pedigree names but big pedigree students find them.

I’m glad you had the initial chat.

That helps.

1 Like

If you are a NMscholar…check this list of schools. This is from the National Merit Wikipedia page. You will find many smart students at any college, but if you are looking for NM Scholars, this will help.

And some of the colleges on this list offer merit aid.

Rank University Total scholars
(including
college-sponsored) College-
sponsored only
1 University of Florida 270 231
2 University of Southern California 265 206
3 University of Alabama (Tuscaloosa) 258 210
4 Northwestern University 244 188
5 University of Chicago 233 174
6 Vanderbilt University 222 168
7 Harvard University 207 0
8 University of Texas at Dallas 200 173
9 Texas A&M University, College Station 188 144
10 Northeastern University 155 133
11 Yale University 140 0
12 Arizona State University 136 113
13 Massachusetts Institute of Technology 136 0
14 University of California, Berkeley 132 0
15 University of Pennsylvania 126 0
16 Stanford University 124 0
17 Duke University 119 0
18 Purdue University (West Lafayette) 116 101
19 Princeton University 114 0
20 University of Minnesota, Twin Cities 107 95

3 Likes

Also worth pointing out that Alabama has “the most NM kids” only of schools that report such things. Most elite schools don’t tabulate or market such things because it simply doesn’t matter to them. Given the stats that are published most Ivy plus schools likely have 70% plus NMF if they counted based on stats and scores.

By reference Alabama reports 1,100 NM kids which translates to 3%. Compare that to Tulsa at 25% and it isn’t as compelling.

Undeniably Bama attracts some very smart kids but this often repeated claim needs to be considered in context.

2 Likes

I called Cornell’s Financial Aid office and they said that they can’t give me a pre read or estimate how much I will have to pay. IDK what to do now. They said it is a risk that I will have to take. Does anyone know if I can even figure out close to what I would be paying?

As they said…it’s a risk you will need to take. Many students apply to colleges not knowing whether they will be affordable…or not. You just have to be prepared to walk away from ANY acceptance that is over the price point your parents have given to you.

Please do not plan to guilt them into paying more for your college costs.

Find some affordable colleges. University of Alabama, University of New Mexico, ASU, University of Arizona…these should come in at your price point,

3 Likes

Do you think that this is the case because my stats are not good enough or my schools are too competitive? I know that these two go hand in hand but if you had to lean one way which one would it end up being?

I’m glad you had that conversation, but what they are telling you now is very different from what you initially said…

This means your application strategy will have to change quite a bit. But first, figure out what you want to study. Then we’ll go from there.

3 Likes

Some of these colleges might not be affordable…we have no way of knowing whether they will meet your price point.

The UCs definitely won’t be…but you have heard that already.

Auburn will be likely affordable, as will University of Alabama. (And the other schools I just listed).

1 Like

So ED is binding - except if you can’t afford based on the offer.

But the expectation is that you know that before you apply.

So - the answer is - you apply RD. There is no law that says you must ED and I’m sure in society, very few on an overall basis do.

Let me ask you this. Have you been to Ithaca? Have you walked the campus?

You are making a decision about where to spend four years of your life. You want to ensure it’s a place you want to be for real.

Prestige disappears the minute you step on campus and start living. So I’m hopeful you can visit or at least virtual tour any schools you are interested in.

Honestly, I wouldn’t ED to any school I never stepped foot on.

The reality is - whether you go to Cornell, Clemson, Colorado or CIncinatti, you are going to determine your success - don’t forget that.

But one other thought - find a school that will do a pre read. Someone mentioned Whitman in Washington.

If you do a pre-read somewhere, maybe you can at least find out if you’re in the financial ball park?

But again, your parents will have to participate with documentation, etc.

3 Likes

Run Cornell’s NPC with your parents here: Financial Aid Calculators | Financial Aid

It is set for 2023-24 year, so increase the tuition/fees/room/board by 4% - 5% when you get the result, calculated on the last page. It asks about your parents business income, valuation, and debt owed. See how the results compare to your budget, and keep a screenshot of the results. That’s as good an estimate as you are going to get right now.

3 Likes

Again, I’m not an AO and it’s just my opinion but your finances had nothing to do with my opinion.

Your academics are great but so are many others. That’s why their rates are so low. Today, with grade inflation, tons of kids have great academics although it’s awesome you are #1 ranked.

#2 - your test score - are you taking again?

So the answer - you picked reach schools - that’s how I’d lean. And it’d be hard for anyone to tell anyone they were an in or safety at WUSTL or Cornell with true confidence imho.

1 Like

Yea I am going to take it in september.

2 Likes

I’ll do this.

1 Like

How do I prove to a college that I am first gen? Just because one of my siblings is already in college does not mean that I am not first gen correct?

The common app asks questions about your demographics, including your parents highest level of education. Your indicating they didn’t complete college is sufficient. Your sibling having gone to college doesn’t change the fact that you’re first gen.

3 Likes

But keep in mind…every college has their own way to calculate institutional need based aid…and awarding of merit aid. Getting a preread at Whitman will give you absolutely NO information about your net costs at any college except…Whitman.

1 Like

Being first generation might help woh admissions at some colleges. But I don’t believe it will help at all with financial aid. That is based on the info from your filing of the FAFSA and Profile (if the Profile is required)

2 Likes

Yes. But if they determine the OP has significant need, OP can likely be comfortable that Cornell would be at least as good. I’m just talking need.

Perhaps they do two or three schools to get a range.

I suppose I’m looking at its better than nothing.

To me, you have 20 common app spots.

You have a tight budget.

Use all 20. OP is in essence now a merit chaser. So a Vandy, a Rice - these are hugely unlikely but at least a sliver of hope to meet budget.

Don’t ED anywhere. Not sure why everyone ‘HAS TO’ ED. They don’t and most don’t.

Cornell had 6x as many non binding as binding apps and take out athletes etc the ratio is even higher.

2 Likes

We need to see what the NPCs say. Might not be accurate but will at least provide some idea.

I agree. No point ED’ing if you’re not sure what the school will cost.

1 Like

Yes. But if they determine the OP has significant need, OP can likely be comfortable that Cornell would be at least as good. I’m just talking need.

Nope. It’s very possible that Whitman considers things like home equity and business things differently than Cornell.

The Whitman NPC should not be used to estimate potential for need based aid anywhere else.

This student has a complicated financial aid picture…with family owning a business and purchasing the land and buildings the business is located on. Schools also treat business deductions in different ways.

This student certainly can apply to colleges and just wait and see if the money is forthcoming.

I still say…the sibling is getting a free ride or close to it. Why isn’t this student looking at that college?

Also, if the older sibling completed financial aid application forms for schools using the profile, and was accepted and received need based aid…what did THAT look like?

4 Likes