Chance Me: Asian Male (Valedictorian) from Alabama with high hopes in MechE [3.98, 33, $25-30k]

The Net Price Calculators are currently set for students starting in fall 2023. That is NOT this student. There are some changes being made to the FAFSA that could impact these calculators for the 2024-2025 applicants. I wonder when the NPCs actually will be updated.

@Mwfan1921 your thoughts?

If Cornell’s NPC is close to OP’s budget, and it’s OP’s top choice, they can certainly apply ED.

OP can back out of an ED acceptance if the FA offer doesn’t get to budget, without consequence. Especially this year with so much uncertainty with a late releasing FAFSA, inaccurate NPCs and such, no one will think twice about this. I’m not saying that would be easy for OP to possibly be accepted and then back out because it’s not affordable, but they aren’t bound to attend either.

3 Likes

NPCs can’t be updated until FAFSA is finalized. I recommended above that OP run the NPC and increase the cost by 4%-5% for 2024-25. That’s the best they can do right now. Cornell ED app isn’t due until Nov 15, so there is still some time for the NPCs to get updated by then.

2 Likes

Risky
but certainly any student can apply to any college
and apply for aid. If sufficient aid isn’t forthcoming
the student needs to be prepared to walk away from that unaffordable offer of admission.

1 Like

All students will be able to do this year is run the NPCs now as they are building lists, increase costs to reflect 2024-25 (which is an issue every year), and again as the NPCs hopefully update in the Fall. This year is going to be a mess, and I expect many students will back out of ED acceptances. Schools aren’t going to be able to even give an FA offer in mid December when ED acceptances go out, because FAFSA isn’t launching until Dec 1 at the earliest.

3 Likes

November 1.

Yes, they’ve given grace periods the last few years, but the deadline was always 11/1. Any applicant applying ED should still ta get 11/1

4 Likes

Oops, thanks for correcting me with accurate info.

1 Like

I disagree. The OP has tried to find out. The school won’t provide the information. If the student applies to Cornell ED and is admitted, and has to turn them down because it is unaffordable, the OP has done nothing wrong. There is no expectation to attend if the OP cant afford it, and no expectation that the OP shouldn’t apply ED if the information is unavailable.

2 Likes

It is avail on the NPC. It’s just that many here are saying it won’t be accurate.

If it says his cost is $60k and it in fact is $60k or $40k but he can’t afford and therefore can’t go then yes he did something wrong imho.

If we just teach kids - sure apply and if your parents say no, back out and say I can’t afford it then we have basically eliminated ED or opened it to kids with no intent of enrolling but choosing to game the system.

It used to really be binding. Now it’s binding except if
. And that’s not good.

My sibling is going to an instate school and got the presidents scholarship or something like that (you need around a 31 act score for it). I do not necessarily want to stay so close to home.

2 Likes

I do agree that if the NPC shows a significantly higher COA than OP’s budget, then they might reconsider applying ED. BUT
.it’s not for us to decide what is too high for them to decide to legitimately apply
some people will not hesitate to take out parent loans to fill the gap. I don’t recommend that, but that’s their prerogative.

And ED was never binding. Students have always been able to back out if the finances don’t work. If people think the AOs administer consequences to the high school for that, please bring supporting data
I have never heard anyone say that, and if an AO ‘punished’ others for some previous student who backed out of ED, that would be unethical. IMO.

7 Likes

This gives me good hope. Thank you.

2 Likes

How would I back out and how long would I have to back out if it ever came to that? Would it hurt me in anyway?

You won’t have to commit until a week or two after you receive your financial aid offer. We have no idea right now when schools will be able to send out FA offers to ED accepted students
.but get your FAFSA done as soon as it opens. If it opens on Dec 1, do it that day. And get your CSS submitted by its deadline (which last year was Nov 21 for Cornell).

If you did get accepted ED, and you are waiting for an FA offer into January, you will have to get in all of your RD apps, which isn’t great, but it’s the reality some students may be facing this year.

1 Like

I have no idea what Fafsa is. What info do I need for it and when does it open? What is css?

But years ago you saw the # admitted ED and two less people enrolled. That was WUSTL four years ago. Today it’s 5% or more. Its grown legs.

Cornell showed 49 not going in of 1830. That is much higher than b4. Will they go after a student?. Likely not. But it’s not right. And you do sign a form stating you will attend.

What OP is quickly learning is that this is a business. And businesses market. And each markets to their strength.

Op is the consumer. Unfortunately the school and his parents will both make his decision for him.

Bit if Cornell is the steak, there are lots of restaurants to get a steak. And there will be OOS at $30k potentially even full pay. And many if their grads will do just as well as Cornell grads and many will do better. And many won’t They just aren’t as fancy on the outside.

Anyway I’m glad op found out the budget and I hope he is able to get a sense of affordability in concert with his folks to make a truly informed decision.

1 Like

Those are the financial aid forms you and your parents will have to complete and send to each school you are applying to. All schools will require FAFSA, some private schools will also require CSS Profile.

Create a spreadsheet with all the information for each school you are applying to
include application deadlines, FAFSA deadlines, CSS Profile deadlines, etc. Here is Cornell’s financial aid page (this will be updated in August/September for Class of 2024): Prospective Students or First Time Aid Applicants | Financial Aid

FAFSA info here (won’t open until Dec 1 at the earliest): Federal Student Aid

CSS Profile info (will open Oct 1): https://cssprofile.collegeboard.org/

2 Likes

OP. Asking again in case you didn’t see - have you been to Ithaca and Cornell ?

I’d never ED to a place I haven’t been - if you haven’t.

3 Likes

Just an fyi, I know this year Cornell was very delayed at getting financial aid offers to accepted students. So, if accepted(either in ED or RD), you may not have your financial aid package until well after you’ve been accepted. Have backup plans ready!

4 Likes

Can your sibling help you with the forms? I understand that she has a full-ride scholarship, but she may have some experience (from when she was an applicant) of filling out the FAFSA and possibly the CSS. Right now you seem confused about the financial aid process and I think being able to talk to someone in person (sibling? guidance counselor?) might help you make sense of the steps that you need to take to apply for financial aid.

4 Likes