Chance Me: Asian Male (Valedictorian) from Alabama with high hopes in MechE [3.98, 33, $25-30k]

Any ABET accredited engineering major will have some learn-by-doing (engineering design) course work, though the relative volume of such may vary from one school to another.

But then is the OP’s preferred major computer science?

2 Likes

Yes - I know - but some are heavily theory based - my son’s. And others - CP SLO, WPI, and I believe Louisville - are more hands on. @AustenNut knows - why I asked.

It was CS - but sounds like the other day he did a pivot or may be pivoting.

But still seeking schools that are no realistic - if the budget is $30K.

I get it - kids want to eat at Flemings but can only afford Outback. …if public.

From what I have heard/been told, Speed at U. of Louisville is very hands-on and has a good reputation. @eyemgh and perhaps it was @1dadinNC can give more info.

I need to catch up on the thread to see what other thoughts I may have.

Speed even co-opted Cal Poly’s motto, Learn by Doing. I’ve read great things, but never toured their facilities.

2 Likes

You have a great profile. Valedictorian from Alabama with 33 but with “uncertain” financial picture. Maybe look more closely at your very good instate options(high stat kids from all over at Alabama) . Or places OOS that give merit and would bring your cost down. Good luck!

1 Like

Until we hear back the results of a 23-24 NPC completed with accurate numbers, I am going to move forward with the assumption that it’d be important to find schools that would be extremely likely to hit the $25-30k budget through lower costs & merit aid alone. If OP’s family ends up having financial need, that’s extra funding, but not depending on financial need determinations can help to find the absolute financial safeties.

If your interest is engineering, particularly mechanical engineering, you will want to make sure that you attend an ABET-accredited school for that field (source for finding schools). Although ABET does offer CS accreditation, it’s not nearly as necessary/common. But it sounds as though you might want to apply as an engineering major (as those majors tend to have lots of course requirements starting first year) and then switch to CS or business if that’s what you decide to do.

U. of Louisville (KY) has about 16k undergrads and you would qualify for $15k National Scholars award, bringing the costs down to about $25k. If you were interested in research and the Grawemeyer Scholarship, if received, your costs would be about $13k (it would all but about $1k of tuition).

Missouri Science & Technology has about 5700 undergrads and a great reputation. Its scholarship calculator estimates an award of $13k, bringing costs down to about $30k, and you could compete for additional scholarships as well.

Clarkson (NY) has about 2900 undergrads. In running the NPC with your stats (and indicating an EFC of $100k…so eliminating need-based aid), you would likely be eligible for about $37k in merit aid. That would bring costs down to about $37k…so not a financial safety, but if you do have any financial need, then it might be plausible to get there.

U. of Arizona has about 37k undergrads. Your record would get you $30k in merit bringing the costs down to about $24k, and if you earn an IB diploma with at least 24 IB credits, then you may be eligible for up to $5k more in scholarships (source), bringing the costs down to about $19k/year.

I also like the suggestions of Miami U. (OH), Iowa State, Kansas, and U. of New Mexico from others.

11 Likes

My daughter with similar stats was offered $3000 a year at UMD in 2021.

3 Likes

UMD is a target, not a safety. It’s possible that this student will receive some merit, but imo not nearly enough to bring the cost down.

4 Likes

Yes, UMD does not give much merit, but they do award about two hundred (I think) full ride scholarships for which OP is competitive based on stats plus location. No harm in applying.

5 Likes

I agree there is no harm in applying, and being from Alabama might help (not sure). It’s hard to get the full ride from OOS (was easier many years ago) but you never know…

I just wanted call it a target so that this student understands.

Yes, absolutely a target at best. Definitely not a safety.

3 Likes

and this is my concern as both @Mjkacmom and yourself are stating.

To win Banneker Key - and I’m not saying it’s not worth a hail mary if the student has a list with schools that can get him to where he wants - you have to get into the Honors College.

At Maryland, there’s Honors, Scholars, Fire, etc.

Honors is possible but you see few who get it. Many get Scholars and some FIRE. I think I had one kid Scholars and one FIRE.

So it’s another shoot your shot but @DadOfJerseyGirl (a great poster) said “these are competitive but I think you have a good shot” - and perhaps the student does, but I’m personally trying to temper that thought because I think few do. One requirement is to be in Honors and I would even temper that (at UMD).

But again, if it’s a great school for OP, as long as they understand the odds are long and wide (likely less than 1%) that UMD is both an admissions and financial fit at $30K, then I get it.

Thanks

3 Likes

Deleted.

Look at TCNJ. Total cost OOS is just under $41,000 and they do give merit to OOS students.

2 Likes

Look at some of the SUNY schools. You could merit aid to bring your cost to your price point.

3 Likes

Leaning more towards engineering now that I know that it as programming aspect in it.

2 Likes

@An_D, what are you hoping to get out of your college experience? We know your budget and intended major, but what else do you want? Your original list had small schools (Cal Tech), medium-sized schools (WashU, MIT), and huge schools (UT, Michigan). You had rural, suburban, and urban. Some with very intense academic vibes and others that were more well-rounded. Some where sports spirit was very important and others where it’s practically nonexistent. Some where Greek life was a definite presence on campus life and others where it was nonexistent. What kind of vibe would you like in college? Do you prefer large classes or smaller ones? What do you think your preferred size of college is? Are there particular interests you want to pursue? Any preferences (or preferences to avoid) with respect to certain states or climate? Any additional information you can provide will help posters in developing better suggestions for you.

3 Likes

I want to be able to get good internships and research (this is a big one). Dont care about greek life. Don’t really want to go somewhere depressing with no life due to high competitiveness (Not scared of competitiveness just want to have fun as well). Would like football but not a must that would make or break a school. I want a good location (something like gt) not in the middle of nowhere where I cant do anything. Class rigor can be high just not to the point where its the only thing I can do as mentioned earlier. Weather does not matter but I do prefer the cold. Class size does not matter but I do prefer ~20 just like high school. Something stupid but just the appearance of the school should not look old and broken. I like if it looks futuristic and well designed as it would motivate me and make me happy.

1 Like

These are all legitimate wants. Budget should override them all though.

You’re going to find that some of your desires are going to be mutually exclusive. For example, big time football and small classes are generally not compatible. Cal Poly has small classes, but their football is pretty pedestrian. Ohio State has great football, but their lectures are big. There will be push and pull. Again, budget overrides all.

If you’re willing to overlook the small class size for your initial lectures, Utah would be a great choice.

5 Likes

Yes.

Not necessarily. Honors colleges at football schools could get the class sizes down significantly, if the engineering college participates in the honors program.

8 Likes